Teeth cleaning?

Old April 2nd 12, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

Default Teeth cleaning?

Well, the Princess Rita came out of her checkup with flying colors. She had her rabies shot, but I declined the distemper shot. She weighs in at 12.7 lbs, a little heavy, but she's perfectly healthy otherwise.

The vet said that her teeth needed cleaning, so I should consider getting that done. Because of her age (10 years), I'd have to bring her in for blood tests first, to determine if she was healthy enough to be put under for a cleaning.

Okay. I haven't looked at her teeth, but I thought I'd ask you guys. Do we need to do this? If it's necessary, I'll do it for her, but honestly, I've never had a cat's teeth cleaned in my life (on the other hand, I've never had a cat live more than 10 years, either).

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old April 3rd 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jane" wrote in message
Well, the Princess Rita came out of her checkup with flying colors. She had
her rabies shot, but I declined the distemper shot. She weighs in at 12.7
lbs, a little heavy, but she's perfectly healthy otherwise.

The vet said that her teeth needed cleaning, so I should consider getting
that done. Because of her age (10 years), I'd have to bring her in for
blood tests first, to determine if she was healthy enough to be put under
for a cleaning.

Okay. I haven't looked at her teeth, but I thought I'd ask you guys. Do we
need to do this? If it's necessary, I'll do it for her, but honestly, I've
never had a cat's teeth cleaned in my life (on the other hand, I've never
had a cat live more than 10 years, either).

It depends whether you trust your vet. Bad teeth (strangely enough) can
lead to heart problems as apparently the bacteria can travel to the heart.
Boyfie had his teeth and everything else examined in June last year. His
teeth and everything else was great.
If my vet had told me his teeth needed cleaning I would have agreed.
But I see constantly on here that some of you think your vets rip you off,
and there is certainly a lot of money to be made from doing that/
My vets are expensive, because they provide 24/7 cover, 365 days and have
every machine possible to diagnose anything, anytime.
I am prepared to pay more for that.

Tweed

Old April 3rd 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 00:08:55 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Just like with people, teeth and gums are very important for cats. All
kinds of problems lurk there, and I just read somewhere that it is
important to take care of them before the anesthesia becomes a bigger
problem (as they age). So, yes, it probably is a good idea to get the
dental done.

I do need to ask my vet about that since my cats are starting to get
into that 9-10 year old range. Wow how fast time is going. Must be
something about relativity.
Old April 5th 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

I can hardly believe that Boyfriend came to me in 2003. It seems like
yesterday.
He is very healthy but he does not hunt as much as he did - that's OK with
me, you can get fed up with having dead mousies and small ratties put on the
carpet just in front of the kettle so you are sure to tread on them when you
make yourself a cup of tea in morning. For my breakfast, you understand.
He has, apart from if a stupid bird jumps in front of him with suicidal
intent, which he cannot resist, not caught a birdie since KFC was here. He
was the hunter man for her as she just loved eating birds and he would bring
her them when she got too frail to get them herself.
No, I did not like it, but when KFC only wanted to eat a collared dove, and
not cat food when she was failing, he went out and got her several and put
them in front of her.
He never ate one himself and never shows any interest in them now.
How did he know to do that?

Tweed

Old April 6th 12, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:04:06 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Well, it's obvious that he is a particularly intelligent and discerning gentleman. And he's found the perfect home for his gentlemanly nature.
He's such a lucky boy and you are a very fortunate slave.

Old April 6th 12, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Boyfie is obviously a caregiver kitty. He knew what he'd want to eat, so he
brought them to KFC. I think it's very sweet.

Jill

Old April 6th 12, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 2, 5:09*am, Jane wrote:
Well, the Princess Rita came out of her checkup with flying colors. *She had her rabies shot, but I declined the distemper shot. *She weighs in at 12.7 lbs, a little heavy, but she's perfectly healthy otherwise.

The vet said that her teeth needed cleaning, so I should consider getting that done. *Because of her age (10 years), I'd have to bring her in for blood tests first, to determine if she was healthy enough to be put under for a cleaning.

Okay. *I haven't looked at her teeth, but I thought I'd ask you guys. *Do we need to do this? *If it's necessary, I'll do it for her, but honestly, I've never had a cat's teeth cleaned in my life (on the other hand, I've never had a cat live more than 10 years, either).

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Jane, yes, I do think it's necessary for longterm health. Frank just
got his cleaned, he's around 15 years old, with no problems. I always
thought if one of them *did* have a problem with a tooth, I'd never
know until they were either drooling or refusing to eat, and by then
they'd already be in bad pain.

Sherry
Old April 6th 12, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

I know everyone thinks that their cat is the most intelligent and wonderful
cat in the world, but Boyfie seems to be extremely intelligent, much more so
than KFC. I hope I give him a good home, I think so. It's a safe place
for him to roam and he can indulge his hunting instincts by catching mousies
and small ratties (he doesn't do the big ones) if he wants to. If he
doesn't he can retire to his bedroom and sleep on his duvet. His meals are
served on the dot (he won't let me get away with 10 minutes late.)
We are both lucky. He found me and I am more than glad he did. My quiet
home suits him too, so he did well, the lad did.
Tweed

Old April 6th 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

It wasn't what he wanted to eat. He has never eaten a collared dove in his
life. He prefers his food to have a cat on the packet, tin, or pouch.

Tweed

Old April 7th 12, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Friday, April 6, 2012 9:46:17 AM UTC-4, Sherry wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:09*am, Jane wrote:
[...]

Rusty (RB) was neither drooling or refusing to eat when I found his gum bleeding. I had been brushing his teeth since I adopted him when he was one.
I only noticed his glum bleeding when I brushed his teeth. The vet said he had
feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions and was in pain. Ended up having two
tooth pulled. During the extraction, Rusty got his teeth cleaned. Up till then,
Rusty teeth were in good condition, probably from regular brushing.

Winnie

Abby teeth cleaning Ann Cat anecdotes 7 October 26th 07 09:38 PM
Tigger teeth cleaning purrs please alisont via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 11 August 19th 07 10:11 PM
Update on Sylvester's teeth cleaning (or not) Jennifer Thompson-Fleet Cat health & behaviour 3 February 13th 07 03:22 PM
question on teeth cleaning [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 7 April 19th 06 02:11 PM
IV for teeth cleaning? crash Cat health & behaviour 55 July 2nd 04 03:22 PM