declawing

Old August 19th 03, 09:04 PM
bewtifulfreak

Cathouse wrote:
"bewtifulfreak" wrote in

Thank you, Soozy....I felt terrible when I did it, but it *was*
just a totally reflex reaction. And I didn't expect the mouse to
bite, because I've taken them off my cat before and they never
did. It was ironic that this one bit me just seconds after my
husband said, "You know, they do bite, don't you?"

You can learn not to react like that. Just like dogs can learn to not
bite kids.

Yes, you can learn, if you're expecting it, not to react like that. The
first time, if something like that takes you by surprise, you may very well
experience a reflex reaction, as I did, just as you would jerk your hand
away if you accidentally touched something hot. If an animal is not
familiar with how children behave, and is grabbed by one, it is very
possible they might do the same and react reflexively. That doesn't mean
they can't learn, but it is possible that they could do something like that
initially without being malicious. My totally loving cat who never bit me
before or since got injured, and had to be anesthetised for x-ray, and was
wobbling about at home. When I picked him up to try and get him to lie down
and relax and get his bearings, he freaked out and bit my finger. It wasn't
out of malice, but he was disoriented and scared, and it was a reflex
reaction. Sometimes even the most gentle animal will snap out of reflex.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 19th 03, 09:12 PM
Karen Chuplis

"Katra" wrote in message

Karen Chuplis wrote:

in article , Cathouse at
wrote on 8/19/03 6:38 AM:

) wrote in
om

Cathouse wrote in message
) wrote in
om

Cathouse wrote in message
Katra wrote in

Yes, they should, but a 12 to 14 month old baby is NOT old
enough to be told "no" so has to be protected from overly
aggressive cats.

I am not going to apologize for helping my sister get booger
declawed. This was an unusual case of a cat that tended to
swipe more than any cat I've ever known... It will also
protect the adults.

I had Max declawed because of aggression. But not because he
scratched me, I get scratched all the time anyway.

He was rough with the other cats. Not mean, really, he just
played hard. He tackles with such force, they make a loud
thunk when they hit the floor. Occassionally, one gets it's
nose scratched, but he's not the only one that does that.

Unfortunately, Max doesn't get along with the dog. They never
have liked each other. The dog will just be standing next to
the couch and here comes Max, slinking out from behind it.
Then he jumps on the end table and smacks the dog in the face.
He got him in the eye once and almost blinded him.

Max laughed at the Soft Paws and chewed them off in two days.
Nail trimming? Out of the question. He howls, kicks, bites,
claws...by the end of it, he's panting. To keep his nails
dull, this needed to be done once a week.

Trying to keep from declawing him caused more stress than
declawing him. So, he had the laser surgery. His paws were
never tender and he's never had any trouble. In fact, he
behaves exactly as he did before. Except now, he can't put
anybody's eye out.

Thank you. :-)

Katra

Did you notice that there were no comments from the peanut
gallery?

Yes, I did notice...
I got raked over the coals for helping my sister to declaw ONE
cat, while caring for 36 others without even considering the
surgery. This post by someone else got ignored.

What's up with that?

It was my post. They must be afraid of me.

Hey, Katra, did you even THINK of trying Soft Paws?

Karen

He chewed them off...

K.

Is that riiiight. I'll bet. Sure took you a long time to come up with that
gem.

Karen

Old August 19th 03, 09:12 PM
Karen Chuplis

"Katra" wrote in message

Karen Chuplis wrote:

in article , Cathouse at
wrote on 8/19/03 6:38 AM:

) wrote in
om

Cathouse wrote in message
) wrote in
om

Old August 19th 03, 09:15 PM
Katra

Karen Chuplis wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message

Karen Chuplis wrote:

in article , Cathouse at
wrote on 8/19/03 6:38 AM:

) wrote in
om

Cathouse wrote in message
) wrote in
om

Cathouse wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes the truth is pretty lame.
That's why I ignored it for so long.
Your reply was predictable....

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^
^,,^

Breast Implants are the Stupidest idea ever. If I wanted to fondle
$10,000.oo worth of Silicon, I'd buy a new computer! --Anon.

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old August 19th 03, 09:15 PM
Katra

Karen Chuplis wrote: