Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

Old November 6th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

AWWWWWWW!!!! What DARLINGS!! Sorry....kitten fever again. They are adorable
with their little white mittens!! I'm trying to focus on red points and
eventually want Balinese as well but that will have to wait until I have a
bigger house!! Here are my babies...
www.pacificsiamese.bravehost.com
and I hope you discover the problem and find a solution to it!! Fingers
crossed its sorted out soon!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://picasaweb.google.com/sheelagh...83858555011090
meeee wrote:
Hi,

I'm a reg. Siamese breeder in Australia and have recently had the same
trouble; getting a new girl in is a risky job and next time I'd advise
(no
matter how ethical the breeder seems) that you isolate any new cats from
the
others for 2 weeks at least, bathe in antifungal wash and get a full
blood
panel and check up done by the vet. I've just had ringworm introduced to
my
cat and human family (I have a small number of breeding cats, all my
moggies, my family sharing the house) by an 'ethical' breeder who
neglected
to tell me about her ringworm problem, so I can advise you on how to
lessen
the damage. I'd also be checking for mites, it doesnt sound to me like
flea
allergies but ringworm or mites. Ok now for my treatment plan; isolate
all
cats showing ringworm signs. Use a bleach solution to wash down all
floors
and walls as much as possible; thoroughly vacuum carpets and upholstery.
product called 'F10' is the most effective, both to wash your cats, the
floors and also can be used on upholstery and carpets. It wont stain but
check anyway. F10 can also be used as a topical treatment on ringworm
lesions; its the best thing. If you cant get F10 use Malaseb as a washl
less
effective but if used regularly does help. A disinfectant called Benzyl
Colonium Chloride (check disinfectant labels) can be used on upholstery
and
carpet without staining. Ringworm is spread by 'flakes' of the fungus, so
regular vacuuming/mopping will help you keep it down. Also take the cat
immediately to the vet; he will prescribe an antibiotic called Grisolven
or
Griseofulven (same thing) that destroys the cell walls of the ringworm
:you
will NEVER get rid of it without this. Be careful with young kittens
though
as there is some link to liver damage, however I've had no problem. Just
watch it with cats with liver conditions and check with your vet about
use
during pregnancy/lactation/in young kittens. Mostly the ringworm will be
dormant with adult cats (which is why I suggest checking for mites or
lice)
but will attack your kittens and any cats with a low immune system. Keep
on
top of it with the kittens, as ringworm patches grow back darker until
the
next moult, so points can look patchy and affect showing and sale. DO NOT
sell on any kittens until the ringowrm is healed and fur has grown back;
you'll just get yourself a bad reputation, as the breeder who did this to
you just has. For your family, wash all bedding, clothes, table linen etc
and use an anti fungal and anti bacterial wash instead of fabric
softener.
It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and
dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is
neat
tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion
where I
got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of
these
steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills
insects
I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine
kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!

Old November 6th 06, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hi,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PRACTICAL ADVICE~IT WAS APPRECIATED NO END!
I am a bit concerned that you might not have received the e-mail that I
sent to you regarding the cats here,simply because I cant see it posted
here-did you get it?I am confused because I can see the photos that you
got the photos,but no message to see?!!!very strange indeed...
rather than repeat it all again,I will give you a bit of a basic run
down of what it said,then If you let me know that you didn't receive
it,then I will type it all out again,because you really were so kind to
go to the trouble of typing out nearly a page of instructions on how
to start damage limitation,as you too have been through a similar
outbreak,so I know that you understand how devastating it is to go
through this hassle...& I also wanted to thank you from the bottom of
my heart as well because it was exactly the right sort of info that I
was hoping for;you couldn't have been more helpful if you had tried to
be honest!I needed instructions on how to cope with the potential
outbreak...although my current vet happens to be on holiday in
Australia believe it or not...I have managed to find a vet that is
willing to see all 6cats,but it wont be until tomorrow morning because
in the uk,if you are not registered with that particular vet(which I am
doing in half an hour or so),they have the right to charge you whatever
they want to see your cat,in the form of consultation fee's),& that is
the soonest that she can see them all @ the same time,so that will have
to do.In the meatime,I have started by wiping all of the sheets off all
of our beds,& also the cats beds too;washing all of the floors down
with disinfectant,hoovering with the dyson,then washing the filter
through& the cyclone chamber as well with bleach solution too.I havent
got as far as doing the furniture yet,but it will be done in the next
24hours,even if it turns out to be mites or lice instead of ringworm.
I have also manged to get a double appointment with the Gp,for
precautions sake,&I am trying to follow all of your suggestions to the
letter,as I know that it is good practical advice coming from someone
who has been here before me,& come out of the other side too.It is ever
so reassuring to know that,one,it is treatable,two that you are telling
me how to help myself,having been thorough it,&three,that it can do no
harm to be vigilant.I am keeping my fingers crossed in the hope that
Tiggie has not passed it on to all of the cats because she has in fact
been issolated more or less since she has been here,but not banking on
it.Only time will tell.
I feel a fool for getting caught out by the breeder,but then again,I
was ignorant(which in this case,was not bliss@ all!),but even worse,I
am horrified that she knew that we had other cats here,4kids& also my
partner Paul,is taking immunity building drugs having had a triple
heart by-pass recently,but it still wasn't enough to induce her to
alert me to the fact that there was a problem?!!!I am very cross indeed
to be honest,because I would have still had her,but we could have
protected ourselves,by issolation as you say,& it would have saved a
lot of heart ache too.A hard lesson to learn,but well learnt I assure
you.I have only just started breeding in the last year or so,& I see
that there is loads of stuff that I have to learn still..
I just wish I had known about this site sooner(only been using the Pc
for 6months or so too),there have been so many helpful people to whom I
am truely grateful indeed.As they say,you live & learn - & it ever so
true isn't it?
I will of course keep you up to date with our progress-it is the least
I can do after all of your input & would be good to stay in touch with
you anyway...
Glad you enjoyed the photos of the hooligans as well(human & feline too
of course!)We had a great time with the kittens & found some lovely
homes for them.They all keep in touch with us which is wonderful as it
is super to see how they are getting on now that they have set off on
their real lives with new mummy's & Daddy's.Thanks also for the link so
that we could coo & ahhhh all over your cats too"o"..my dad had two
siamese many moons ago when we lived in Kenya,called Ping & Pong(that
was a bit unfair!),& we loved them dearly.In the end they both had a
good ining's & died @ around 13 & 15 years old...they were both seal
point boys & true sweeties(but boy did they "wha").I loved them,but
mother didn't so that was the end of cats until I left home,& I guess I
am making up for it now.
Better go,kids to get to school ect,& appoinments to be made @ the
doctors still.Thanks for all of the advice,it was invaluable,& speak to
you again v.soon to let you know how it's all going-I am so pleased to
know that it is not the end of the world as I first feared...
Best Wishes & Kind Regard's,
Sheelagh
meeee wrote:
Hi,

I'm a reg. Siamese breeder in Australia and have recently had the same
trouble; getting a new girl in is a risky job and next time I'd advise (no
matter how ethical the breeder seems) that you isolate any new cats from the
others for 2 weeks at least, bathe in antifungal wash and get a full blood
panel and check up done by the vet. I've just had ringworm introduced to my
cat and human family (I have a small number of breeding cats, all my
moggies, my family sharing the house) by an 'ethical' breeder who neglected
to tell me about her ringworm problem, so I can advise you on how to lessen
the damage. I'd also be checking for mites, it doesnt sound to me like flea
allergies but ringworm or mites. Ok now for my treatment plan; isolate all
cats showing ringworm signs. Use a bleach solution to wash down all floors
and walls as much as possible; thoroughly vacuum carpets and upholstery. A
[...]
It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and a
dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is neat
tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion where I
got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of these
steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills insects
I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine to
kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!

Old November 6th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 04:11:12 GMT, "
wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sheelagh...y/photo?authke
y=lMo9arMiOEt-WAEFyatf1vjAMUw#4994083858555011090

OH MY GOSH, your kitties are GORGEOUS!!! The commentary is adorable, too!
If you were anywhere close to where I live, I'd be at your door to pick one
for myself.

I hope you get this ringworm or whatever it is under control very soon and
that none of your other cats contract it. My mom has a 16 week old kitten
that came to her from the shelter with Ringworm. She had it for several
weeks before it was diagonsed. She is now treating the kitten and taking
all the other precautions with cleaning, etc., and so far, her other cat
and her dog are showing no signs. I hope you have the same experience,
Sheelagh.

--
Lynne
Old November 6th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hi Lynne,
Thank you very much indeed for the compliment with regard to the feline
family,it was very nice of you to say so-I agree with you of course,but
then again,I am biassed though lol!And after all of your support last
night,if you did live near to me,you would indeed be welcome to have
one of them because I would know that they would be going to a good
home where their mummy knew her stuff,& they would loved and well cared
for;In fact ,THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT & HELP YESTERDAY,IT WAS
VERY MUCH APPRECIATED INDEED.
We have had a very good year this summer with regard to kittens,& all
of them are now gone & living with their new mummy's and
daddy's,&living the life of rielly too.I always advertise them for
adoption a few days after they are born,which gives me the chance to
get to know thier new family's & them to get to know me too,in the hope
that It makes me far more approachable if they run into difficulites.It
also gives me the excuse to keep in contact with them too,&most of them
remain very good friends so we get to see photos of them regularly,&
news of their latest antics too fo course!An all win situation really
isn't it?All,of them seemed to have settled very nicely & it always
nice to hear from their new family too...
On to news of the ringworm infestation...You were all spot on...We took
all of the mogz to the local vet who agreed to see them & we now have
it confirmed that we do indeed have an outbreak of ringworm.Tiggie was
the source of the outbreak & Lilly is infected too,all of the others
are clear thus far,but all of them will be treated as a precautionary
measure.I have managed to enlist the help of all of the kids & also a
good friend too who have been helping us today to treat the
walls,carpets ,furnishings,everywhere actually.All of the pussy cats
are on antibiotics as well.Lilly & Tiggie have been isolated from the
others in the hope that they wont be affected.I have also calmed down
too..yesterday I was like a cat on hot bricks and you could have
scraped me off the ceiling for worry..I envisaged having to shave every
single cat & the very thought of that was enough to send me into a
flaming rage @ the thought of someone knowingly selling me a breeding
queen that was infected by ringworm,especially knowing that I had
5other cats that could be affected,a disabled partner who is taking
immunity building drugs after a triple by pass operation on his
heart,not to mention 4children too!!!!Very thoughtless,&downright wrong
to leave a cat in that condition,without treatment
We have all been seen by the Gp today who has prescribed derbac for us
all to smother ourselves in(how humiliating!),& the kids have gort an
extra day off school until the lotion is removed the following
day...but the main thing is that the cat that most needed the help,is
now receiving treatment for it thank goodness,So Thanx to you all"o"
I feel so much better knowing that something is being done to stop her
suffereing.
I am still a little annoyed that I wasn't warned & havent decided
yet,quite how to handle the situation with regard to the breeder that
sold her to me -But I have no intention of letting it go because of the
severity of the problem & the pain the poor cat has been through,not to
mention the vets bill I am facing for treating 6cats instead of 1-any
sage advice would be gratefuly accepted.I don't believe in cursing,but
I do believe you should face your responsibility's.I can see that there
is plenty for me to learn still,but I will get there in the end.
Plenty of purrs in this house this evening to share with all of
you,with the occasional leg weaving & several head rubs too,so I hope
you can all feel the comforting vibes from them?!!!
Regards to all of you,
sheelagh & tribe(inc feline ones too!!)
Lynne wrote:
on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 04:11:12 GMT, "

Old November 6th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:41:17 GMT, "
wrote:

Hi Lynne,
Thank you very much indeed for the compliment with regard to the
feline family,it was very nice of you to say so-I agree with you of
course,but then again,I am biassed though lol!

Oh your bias is well placed. Your kitties are truly lovely!! I want to
snuggle them all!

On to news of the ringworm infestation snip yesterday I was like a
cat on hot bricks and you
could have scraped me off the ceiling for worry..

Oh I can just imagine how you were feeling! I'm so glad you are on top
of everything today.

I am still a little annoyed that I wasn't warned & havent decided
yet,quite how to handle the situation with regard to the breeder that
sold her to me -But I have no intention of letting it go because of
the severity of the problem & the pain the poor cat has been
through,not to mention the vets bill I am facing for treating 6cats
instead of 1-any sage advice would be gratefuly accepted.

I would approach the breeder under the assumption that she was not aware
of the ringworm. She may not have been. Hopefully she will at least be
very apologetic, and if she is conscientious, perhaps she will also offer
you some monetary compensation in order to offset the bills you have
incurred and also to protect her reputation. If she is not so
conscientious, she may simply offer to take the cat back for a refund.
I'm sure you would find that as insulting as I would, and so I would let
her know your true feelings if it comes to that.

--
Lynne
Old November 6th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

No worries sheelagh, I hope it all works out for you!! Sorry I didnt get
your email but I just mailed you my correct one; you probably emailed my
spam trap sorry!!

oups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Hi Sheelagh I'll give you the address of the forum I told you about; get in
touch with them as they will know what you can do re. complaining to your
assoc. about this. You definitely should report as this breeder is obviously
not sticking to the ethical agreement and needs looking into. That is a very
bad sign that she didnt treat the cat at all, or get it to a vet, and tried
to pass it off as an allergy. We got ours from someone bringing infected
cats to a show and not telling anyone; now all the breeders at the show have
ringworm so you see it might not just be you who is affected. Anyway here is
the address.
http://www.hubbellbubbell.co.uk/hubbellforum/

Give them a go, they are all lovely people and very helpful.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]
Lynne wrote:
on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 04:11:12 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

Need Help for my Lilac point Birman Patti Cat health & behaviour 2 April 26th 05 02:39 PM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 November 28th 04 05:15 AM
Skin [BW?][Long] Yowie Cat anecdotes 27 October 31st 04 09:38 PM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Need help with cat skin problem Blue Cat health & behaviour 22 September 15th 04 09:40 PM