Barnabus at emergency vet tonight

Old September 27th 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

Default Barnabus at emergency vet tonight

Our Barnabus is spending the night with the emergency vet tonight and
with our regular vet tomorrow. About three weeks ago he had a problem
with crystal blockage. We were getting ready to go out of town for
the day when I noticed him going from litter box to litter box, not
producing anything and hopping out of the box, crying and immediately
licking himself. We canceled our trip and took him to our vet. They
were able to clear the blockage and we switched him to Hill's CD dry
food and Fancy Feast wet food (he did not like the Hill's wet food).
Two weeks ago he had a check up and urinalysis was clear. Tonight we
noticed him crying and I realized he was licking himself again. I
heard him crying and found him in the kitchen just outside the box
licking himself and occasionally looking up and hissing and crying.
So off to the emergency vet we went. Sure enough, he's blocked
again. The vet has inserted a catheter and they have him on IV
fluids. She said something about inserting an artificial bladder
within his bladder(?) that will have to remain for 24 - 48 hours. I'm
not sure I understood what she was talking about, I probably should
have asked more questions but we trust this vet practice and I know
they'll take care of him. When I went back to say goodbye to him he
was hiding under a towel. Barnabus doesn't like vets and he hides
under towels. He practices the theory that if he can't see them then
they don't know he's there. When they took him back I told the tech
that if he struggles to cover his head with a towel and he'll calm
right down. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened and they came
back to tell me what a sweet cat I had. lol! Anyhow, if any purrs can
be spared I know Barnabus and I would appreciate them. Hopefully we
can get through this without surgery but the vet said she found some
scarring and suggested the possibility of changing Barnabus to
Barnabie.

Julie and Barnabus
Old September 27th 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Sep 26, 10:49*pm, Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
[...]

Poor Barnabus! Rusty went through exactly the same thing many yeas ago
and is sending purrs.

The emergency vet also recommended the same surgery for Rusty. But
his regular vet said that should only be a last resort and put Rusty
on a wet only diet. He was switched form C/D dry to another canned
prescription diet. After that, Rusty had at least one relapse, and
some false alarms years ago, but none requiring a catheter. He never
had the surgery. His vet said the chances of blockage went down as he
ages. Rusty is now 16.

Winnie
Old September 27th 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

On Sep 26, 11:44*pm, Winnie wrote:
[...]

Thanks Winnie. We were wondering about putting everyone on a wet food
only diet. The girls are slow eaters so we've left the dry C/D out for
them but now we're thinking wet food only and everyone had better eat
while there is food to eat. I hope we don't have to go to extremes
with Barnabus. We're going to make every effort to keep him blockage
free! Headbutts to Rusty.

julie and barnabus
Old September 27th 10, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
[...]

Heartfelt purrs and prayers for Barnabus' wellbeing. May he recover
without surgery and any more pain. MLB
Old September 27th 10, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Julie_Snowshoe wrote:

[...]

Oh, the poor guy!

I hope he doesn't have to have this surgery, but if he does, at
least you won't have to worry about blockages anymore.

I'm glad the vets took your suggestion of putting a towel over him
when he got agitated. Maybe he has a bird ancestor.

Purrs for Barnabus and for you too!

Joyce

--
Basically, I feel like the food industry is making us fat so the diet
industry can make us thin. -- Janet
Old September 27th 10, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Julie_Snowshoe wrote:

Thanks Winnie. We were wondering about putting everyone on a wet food
only diet. The girls are slow eaters so we've left the dry C/D out for
them but now we're thinking wet food only and everyone had better eat
while there is food to eat. I hope we don't have to go to extremes
with Barnabus. We're going to make every effort to keep him blockage
free! Headbutts to Rusty.

I had to do the same thing because Licky has chronic inflammation in
the urinary tract. No more dry food for anyone.

I actually leave the wet food down all day, and when I get home at night,
I take those plates up and feed them again on fresh plates. Those stay
out overnight until the morning where I repeat the process all over again.
My cats have never gotten sick from this, so I think it's safe to leave
wet food out for a day. The weather is pretty temperate here, though, so
YMMV. In cooler weather, I see no reason why you couldn't do this.

Joyce

Old September 27th 10, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way - for Barnabus, and for you.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

Old September 27th 10, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:49:42 -0700 (PDT), Julie_Snowshoe
wrote:

[...]

Oh, poor Barnabus! I know that urinary crystals can be very painful.

And I know how upset you must be

Sending purrs for all involved.

I hope some good vet treatment, plus a change in diet will get things
under control, without the need for surgery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100926-1, 09/26/2010
Tested on: 9/27/2010 1:39:29 AM

Old September 27th 10, 07:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Julie_Snowshoe typed:
[...]

Oh no! How worrisome for you, and painful for Barnabus!

Purrs for Barnabus to recover from this epsiode and not be bothered by such
things again!

Yowie

Old September 27th 10, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 27 Sep, 03:49, Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
Our Barnabus is spending the night with the emergency vet tonight and
with our regular vet tomorrow. *

snip

Julie and Barnabus

Poor little boy, I hope he's well soon.