BAD NEWS at Caboodle Ranch

Old March 8th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Default BAD NEWS at Caboodle Ranch

Sherry wrote:

This deal sounds bad, but I am always healthily skeptical about the
media. I learned first-hand
when I was involved in the shelter during a puppy mill thing that
ended up getting much
media attention. Some of the "facts" published in newspapers and
reported on TV were
completely false. I never knew whether the reporters just got it that
wrong, or in the absence
of a good quote they'd just make one up. We all know how the media
can crucify a person.
At face value, this looked to me like things just got out of control.
What disturbed me is the
claim that "there is no spay/neuter policy in place." Whatever this
means. It implies that the
cats are breeding. I'd like to know the truth about that. The cats
are the victims and that
is just so sad.

Sherry

Whenever I've seen an article in the media about an event I have first hand
knowledge of, I often wonder if the reporter has been anywhere near. Every
single time the reports contain errors.
--
Adrian
Old March 8th 12, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M[_2_]

At face value, this looked to me like things just got out of control.
What disturbed me is the
claim that "there is no spay/neuter policy in place." Whatever this
means. It implies that the
cats are breeding. I'd like to know the truth about that. The cats are
the victims and that
is just so sad.

Sherry

I haven't spoken with Craig or Nanette recently, but when I was down
there getting the tour I learned that a couple of local vets came in from
time to time (basically when needed) to tend to sick kitties and to do
spay/neuter on the new arrivals. I would like to think that that
continued. When I was talking to Craig last he told me that it wasn't
done on a regular schedule, just when there were enough sick kitties or
intact kitties that it warranted a trip by the vet.

Dan
Old March 8th 12, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-03-08 10:59 AM, Adrian wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I am generally extremely leery about anything I read in the media,
particularly stories that quote only one side on a contentious issue. I
had too much experience decades ago with publicity about the seal hunt,
and too much recently about other alleged problems - eg secondhand
smoke, although I'm a lifetime non-smoker).

On the other hand, I don't know much about one of those groups, but PETA
isn't known for taking calm, rational and entirely logical and
approaches to issues, and it wouldn't suprise me in the least if they
were more interested in a good, high-profile fund-raiser than an
accurate description of conditions at the ranch.

As usual, I'll have to wait and hope to get a better idea of what is
going on, although quite often in these cases, the truth never gets as
much publicity as the original scandal.

--
Cheryl
Old March 8th 12, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

[...]

Yes, I agree, but I doubt the ASPA would have come in if not necessary.
Dead and decomposing cats there?
I do not like the RSPCA here either, I was once investigated about about one
of my goats that was limping. I was mortified.
They could not catch her, same as me.

Don't forget that that the RSPCA killed Kitty Farmcat.
Tweed

Old March 8th 12, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M[_2_]

Yes, I agree, but I doubt the ASPA would have come in if not necessary.
Dead and decomposing cats there?
I do not like the RSPCA here either, I was once investigated about about
one of my goats that was limping. I was mortified. They could not catch
her, same as me.

Don't forget that that the RSPCA killed Kitty Farmcat. Tweed

One of the things I remember about Caboodle Ranch is that it has a high
fence (6 feet?) and that some people dump their cats at the gate without
ever notifying anybody. If indeed those dead cats were on the ground of
the Ranch, then Craig should have dealt with them properly. If, however,
they were outside the fenced boundaries of the property I could see how
he might leave them be. The property to immediate south of the Craig's
belongs to someone else, and the owner of that property might not be keen
on the thought of Craig wander about.

I will admit this is speculation, as I haven't spoken to Craig or to
Nanette for over a year. But based upon what I know of Craig's character
and his devotion to cats I find it really hard to believe that he would
have allowed the facility to get to that state.

Dan
Old March 8th 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Dan M" wrote in message
[...]

Why were they intact kitties?
No excuse.
Boyfie was intact when he came here, now he isn't. His snip stopped him
wandering to be killed by a car.
Now, he likes to wander in his own garden, to see rats, and then retire to
his duvet. He will occasionally catch a young rat, which is useful but the
big boy rats with the huge chisel teeth he decides they are up to me to get
the the terrier men in.
Boyfie is a very sensible boy.

Old March 8th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Amelia T Cat

Why were they intact kitties?
No excuse.
Boyfie was intact when he came here, now he isn't. His snip stopped him
wandering to be killed by a car.
Now, he likes to wander in his own garden, to see rats, and then retire
to his duvet. He will occasionally catch a young rat, which is useful
but the big boy rats with the huge chisel teeth he decides they are up
to me to get the the terrier men in.
Boyfie is a very sensible boy.

They were intact because that how they were delivered to Caboodle. At the
time I was down there, Craig would wait until he had several intact cats
to be snipped, then would have the vet out to do them all at once.
Old March 8th 12, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M[_2_]

Sorry, that was posted by me. I didn't select the correct posting profile
before clicking "Send".
Old March 8th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Amelia T Cat" wrote in message
Why were they intact kitties?
No excuse.
Boyfie was intact when he came here, now he isn't. His snip stopped him
wandering to be killed by a car.
Now, he likes to wander in his own garden, to see rats, and then retire
to his duvet. He will occasionally catch a young rat, which is useful
but the big boy rats with the huge chisel teeth he decides they are up
to me to get the the terrier men in.
Boyfie is a very sensible boy.

They were intact because that how they were delivered to Caboodle. At the
time I was down there, Craig would wait until he had several intact cats
to be snipped, then would have the vet out to do them all at once.

Stop making excuses for them, Dan.
There were dead and decomposing cats there, or was it all made up?

Old March 8th 12, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Dan M" wrote in message
[...]

But it seems that he did. The desire to rescue cats can overcome whether
you can actually do it.
Tweed

But nis bseens

Go See The Caboodle Ranch Mosey =^..^=[_7_] Cat community 0 January 6th 11 01:26 AM
Caboodle Ranch Sherry Cat anecdotes 5 November 26th 10 06:42 PM
I got to visit Caboodle Ranch Dan M Cat anecdotes 42 August 2nd 10 08:01 AM
Caboodle ranch bizit Granby Cat community 8 August 1st 10 10:54 PM
Caboodle Ranch tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 1 March 11th 09 05:06 PM