Okay all you Tech Geeks ;)

Old March 12th 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Okay all you Tech Geeks ;)

Anyone running Windows Live Mail? I've got version 9. All of a sudden when
I click on a link to a web site in a post I get the error "wlmail.exe. The
wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume VFF0726 into drive D:"
If I click Cancel or Continue a few times it takes me to the site. But why
is this happening all of a sudden? The only thing that has changed is I
installed the software for my new digital camera. I do not have automatic
(Windows) updates set on my PC.

This is starting to remind of when I ran a version of Outlook and had to
constantly edit the system registry because of weird .dll errors. Can
anyone help? It's very annoying.

Jill

Old March 12th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Anyone running Windows Live Mail? I've got version 9. All of a sudden
when I click on a link to a web site in a post I get the error
"wlmail.exe. The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume
VFF0726 into drive D:" If I click Cancel or Continue a few times it takes
me to the site. But why is this happening all of a sudden? The only
thing that has changed is I installed the software for my new digital
camera. I do not have automatic (Windows) updates set on my PC.

This is starting to remind of when I ran a version of Outlook and had to
constantly edit the system registry because of weird .dll errors. Can
anyone help? It's very annoying.

I'm not a tech geek but I would uninstall your camera software, go to the
Microsoft website, get all the updates you've missed then start again.
Is there any reason why you don't have automatic updates set? The whole
idea of them is to sort out glitches that have been reported before you get
them yourself not to mention your security might be compromised if you
don't.

Tweed

Old March 12th 12, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Anyone running Windows Live Mail? I've got version 9. All of a sudden
when I click on a link to a web site in a post I get the error
"wlmail.exe. The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume
VFF0726 into drive D:" If I click Cancel or Continue a few times it takes
me to the site. But why is this happening all of a sudden? The only
thing that has changed is I installed the software for my new digital
camera. I do not have automatic (Windows) updates set on my PC.

This is starting to remind of when I ran a version of Outlook and had to
constantly edit the system registry because of weird .dll errors. Can
anyone help? It's very annoying.

Jill

that is an association error as Tweed said your new camera .dll software
is trying to open your stuff up uninstall it and make sure you read the
software installation if it wants you to have its software as default
opening stuff say NO

also always run windows update at least once a month and specially after you
install new stuff ;-)

Old March 12th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Anyone running Windows Live Mail? I've got version 9. All of a sudden when
I click on a link to a web site in a post I get the error "wlmail.exe. The
wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume VFF0726 into drive D:"
If I click Cancel or Continue a few times it takes me to the site. But why
is this happening all of a sudden? The only thing that has changed is I
installed the software for my new digital camera. I do not have automatic
(Windows) updates set on my PC.

This is starting to remind of when I ran a version of Outlook and had to
constantly edit the system registry because of weird .dll errors. Can
anyone help? It's very annoying.

Jill

I would try to use System Restore to go back *before* you installed your
camera software. That will delete the software but will not affect your
files or pictures. If the camera software is the problem, that may provide
your solution. You could then try the camera software again. Incidentally,
I never use the software that is provided with any of my cameras. I prefer
to use a separate program that will run any digital images. (I use Thumbs
Plus.) I also use a card reader to *copy* digital images to my computer
instead of plugging the camera into a USB port. That is faster, does not
drain batteries, and has never caused the type of problems that I have seen
when some cameras are connected directly to the computer.

I hope this helps.

MaryL

Old March 12th 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Believe it or not I worked in I.T. for years. I chose not to turn on
automatic updates because half of the "non-critical" Windows updates
relate to applications I've never even launched, much yet used. I
selected with updates to install. It's always worked well. Of course I
check for updates every month. I also run A/V software and update it
constantly.

I uninstalled the camera software. (I don't know why I installed it in
the first place. I can just upload photos directly from the SDHC card
like I did on the old camera.) But when I did, suddenly neither Mozilla
Firefox or IE would work. So I set the system back to a restore point
from a month ago when I know both browsers were up and running well. That
didn't help with IE or Mozilla, which was weird. And suddenly my posts
and emails weren't going anywhere, either. Stuff just hanging around in
my outbox even though my cable modem lights were all perfect.

I blame this on Comcast is upgrading everyone to "Xfinity" (whether you
like it or not). I have nothing against digital but they're screwing up
things during the transition. I've had problems with standard channels
missing from my television, only to mysteriously reappear a few days
later. It's almost as comical as everyone being terrified of Y2K.

But I called Comcast support and got a guy who was very knowledgable (and
spoke English!) was able to walk me through how to recover IE. So I have
a web browser again and access to email and ngs Thanks for the
suggestions, folks!

Jill

I am a gamer must of use refuse to use Comcast IMO one of the worse internet
provider there are

One of my friends got it called me to help walk him though how to optimize
his internet. When I told him he could not do it with Comcast that the
packets loss was heavy. The problem is on Comcast side due to their
programming. A problem Comcast recognizes but refuses to do anything about.
He dropped them and went to bright house

Old March 13th 12, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"jmcquown" wrote in message

But I called Comcast support and got a guy who was very knowledgable (and
spoke English!) was able to walk me through how to recover IE. So I have
a web browser again and access to email and ngs Thanks for the
suggestions, folks!

Jill

I am a gamer must of use refuse to use Comcast IMO one of the worse
internet provider there are

One of my friends got it called me to help walk him though how to
optimize his internet. When I told him he could not do it with Comcast
that the packets loss was heavy. The problem is on Comcast side due to
their programming. A problem Comcast recognizes but refuses to do
anything about. He dropped them and went to bright house

I'm not a gamer. But I also don't have much of a choice. I live on an
island. I could get DSL but that's about it, and I'd consider that a
downgrade. wifi doesn't work here. (I barely get a cell phone signal.)
I'll deal with it. But I'm getting tired of their "upgrading" snafus.

Jill

Old March 13th 12, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:11:05 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
ing.com...

during the transition. I've had problems with standard channels missing
from my television, only to mysteriously reappear a few days later. It's
almost as comical as everyone being terrified of Y2K.

I worked on a few things for Y2K. Mostly the reason that bad things
didn't happen was because so many people were updating systems to
prevent it. Not stuff like planes falling out of the sky, but maybe
so, I don't know that software.

One of my jobs was working on medical laboratory machine interfaces.
Since normal ranges are often dependent on the date the test is run
(normal ranges can vary based on the controls) having the wrong date
could certainly result in wrong treatments.

Old March 13th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:11:05 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
ting.com...

during the transition. I've had problems with standard channels missing
from my television, only to mysteriously reappear a few days later. It's
almost as comical as everyone being terrified of Y2K.

I worked on a few things for Y2K. Mostly the reason that bad things
didn't happen was because so many people were updating systems to
prevent it. Not stuff like planes falling out of the sky, but maybe
so, I don't know that software.

One of my jobs was working on medical laboratory machine interfaces.
Since normal ranges are often dependent on the date the test is run
(normal ranges can vary based on the controls) having the wrong date
could certainly result in wrong treatments.

Oh, I'm not saying there weren't legitimate concerns. It was the media hype
that made me cynical. People believing it was the end of the world.
Stockpiling food, water and (in some cases) weapons. All because of what?
A two digit year in some computers. The software was easy enough to modify.
I worked for a company testing their software and that included converting
every date field to four digits. It was still silly. It's not as if the
new millenium snuck up on anyone. Especially not software developers.

Jill

Old March 14th 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 3/12/2012 9:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

In my techie experience, the change recently in the dates DST was
modified made more issues than Y2K.