Can a Caboodle Ranch ever work?

Old March 24th 12, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Can a Caboodle Ranch ever work?

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Yowie" wrote in message
On 14/03/2012 12:05 AM, dgk wrote:
I always figured that if I won a lottery I'd like to set up a cat
sanctuary. But I could never figure out how it's possible for a small
number of staff members to take care of a large number of free-range
cats. My cats have little RF tracking devices on their collars so I
can find them when I have to. But collars do fall off and for a large
number of cats it would be necessary to embed something in the body
and I don't think we have those yet.

I don't see how this can work.

Its all about scale and what one would deem "adequate care". Obviously a
forever home with a doting hoomin or hoomins is ideal. But even the best
run shelters don't provide that degree of care.

So, based on the number of hoomin labour available, the money available
and the space available, what is the maximum number of animals that can
be sustained at at least the level of care that doesn't get the R/ASPCA
pressing charges and confiscating animals?

the can no longer look after so many and "divest" some or all of their
kitties. Most hang on, hoping things will get better, thinking that no
matter how bad things got "I wouldn't get rid of my children...". And
then you have an animal welfare problem borne out of the best of
intentions.

I think that that is what may have happened at Caboodle. Their intentions
were noble. They tried hard. They did the very best they could. But they
were overwhelmed. And instead of saying "no", or euthanising, they kept
trying and trying and trying and then something went wrong (which they
may have recovered from, and may not) and once it went wrong, the ASPCA
pounced.

I agree with you. I do think something like Caboodle is a great idea.
But we cannot save all the cats in the world if we want to give them a
good life. I know my limit is two if I am to afford vets bills
KFC nearly cleared out my bank account in vets bills towards the end of
her life.
And that's why I would never have more than two.
Tweed

I can't imagine having two Persia doesn't like other cats. But even if
she was feline-friendly, she eats prescription food. What if it wasn't the
right food for the other kitty? How do you keep them from eating each
other's food? I have never understood how the folks on this group with
clowders of cats manage that. (Kudos!)

Persia has had a few health problems. First a bladder tumor, which required
surgery. Then hyperthyroidism. We tried medication but she was allergic to
it. She spent two weeks in kitty jail after having radioactive isotope
therapy. 125 miles away from me. Vet bills aren't cheap. Medication isn't
cheap. Special food isn't cheap. I think about trying to do this for more
than one cat. I can't fathom it.

Start a Caboodle type sanctuary? Great idea, but only in theory.

Jill

Old March 26th 12, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I have four and feeding them is a problem since three are inclined to
be fat and the other barely eats at all. If I really had to feed them
separately, I could do that but for the moment I just babysit while
they eat and see that the food is fairly distributed.

Yes, expenses for four cats can be high, although none of these have
chronic conditions that bleed money. I'll be able to handle it when
they do. And I sometimes take one or two of the outside cats to the
vet if I think they need it.
Old March 26th 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

KFC bled money when she got old and ill, straight from my salary to the
vet's bank account. I do think vets could it more cheaply and not parade
around with really expensive cars and huge houses.

BAD NEWS at Caboodle Ranch Matthew[_3_] Cat anecdotes 79 March 18th 12 03:14 AM
Go See The Caboodle Ranch Mosey =^..^=[_7_] Cat community 0 January 6th 11 02:26 AM
Caboodle Ranch Sherry Cat anecdotes 5 November 26th 10 07:42 PM
I got to visit Caboodle Ranch Dan M Cat anecdotes 42 August 2nd 10 08:01 AM
Caboodle Ranch tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 1 March 11th 09 06:06 PM