Three-cat household - bowing out

Old March 25th 12, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Three-cat household - bowing out

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:44:37 +0200, Marina
wrote:
The stuffed cat was sent to me by rpca-on-FB when I was in hospital. I
named her Pearl after Karen's Pearl, who sadly passed away around the
same time I got this cat. She was a great comfort to me in the hospital.
I kept her in the bed with me and used to fall asleep petting her. Many
a nurse thought it was a real cat at first, when they came to make my
bed, and then they would squee and aww over it.

We should have sent you an Othello board.
Old March 25th 12, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 25.3.2012 17:34, Takayuki wrote:

I'm optimistic too. Mir didn't like Caliban at first either, hence his
name! I've thought that if they grew up with a cat like Emil, for example,
he'd have integrated very nicely.

I think that Viktor and Caliban are extremely cute. I've never seen a cat
stick to another cat like that. Since Caliban is such a social boy, maybe
his being with Caliban will give Viktor more incentive to be around people.

That's the theory we're working from. As my niece said, when Viktor sees
how Caliban interacts with me, he may decide humans aren't so bad after
all. It's working already, since he's got into my lap when I've had
Caliban in my arms. Once, he got into my lap though Caliban was nowhere
near us. But he doesn't lay down, he just stands there waiting for
scritches.

--
Marina, Miranda, Caliban and Viktor.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old March 26th 12, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Marina" wrote in message
Hey all,

It seems I don't have time for rpca-on-usenet any more, and now that
news.individual.net are asking for their annual fee, I've decided to give
up my subscription (on the 1st April). I have nearly 9,000 unread posts,
so I'd never be able to catch up anyway.

Just thought I'd give an update on how we are doing. I have sort of
half-officially adopted a third cat. Viktor is a foster that my niece has
had since early spring 2011. He's always been scared to death of humans,
so no one wanted to adopt him. However, he tends to bond with adult male
cats.

When I spent 7 weeks in hospital recently, my niece kindly took Mir and
Caliban home and looked after them. There, Viktor met Caliban, and fell in
love with him. He really started coming out of his shell when Caliban was
around, and started letting both my niece and my sister pet him.

When I finally regained consciousness and started recovering in hospital,
my niece told me of the two of them, to cheer me up. After thinking about
it I said Viktor could move in with us, once I was able to walk again, and
thus able to protect his food from Caliban.

A week ago the day finally came when Viktor could move in with us. I
started out shutting him in the bathroom, but I couldn't keep him there
for very long. Once he realised Caliban lives here, he cried and cried
until I let him join us and let him loose in the flat.

Mir is not happy, and it all depends on her now. She hisses and growls at
him every time he comes near, but if he stays away from her, she is
alright with him. One night, I woke up in the middle of the night (Viktor
was comfortable enough with me to have invaded the middle of the bed,
depriving me of my blankets) and Mir and Viktor were both sleeping on the
bed, almost touching. So I think this will work. If she doesn't calm down
some more inside a month, I'm afraid Viktor will have to go back.

I know I've said I can't take three cats to the island in summer, but I
couldn't take Viktor anyway, because he's so scared of humans. He would
just take to the hills and never be seen again. So he is going to a
fosterer for the time we spend on the island in summers.

Here is Viktor, doing the froggie:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...nikki/0032.jpg

And here he is, doting on Caliban:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYXQy...1&feature=plcp

Among the related videos, you'll find some taken by my sister when my cats
were staying at hers.

--

I'm very sorry to hear you won't be on rpca usenet any more, Marina. That's
a real loss to those of us who don't want to use FB.

Lots of luck with Viktor's integration with Mir, I hope it works out.
Sadly, goodbye
Tweed

Old March 27th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
Marina wrote:
Hey all,

It seems I don't have time for rpca-on-usenet any more, and now that
news.individual.net are asking for their annual fee, I've decided to
give up my subscription (on the 1st April). I have nearly 9,000 unread
posts, so I'd never be able to catch up anyway.

Just thought I'd give an update on how we are doing. I have sort of
half-officially adopted a third cat. Viktor is a foster that my niece
has had since early spring 2011. He's always been scared to death of
humans, so no one wanted to adopt him. However, he tends to bond with
adult male cats.

Snipped...

I know I've said I can't take three cats to the island in summer, but I
couldn't take Viktor anyway, because he's so scared of humans. He would
just take to the hills and never be seen again. So he is going to a
fosterer for the time we spend on the island in summers.

Here is Viktor, doing the froggie:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...nikki/0032.jpg

And here he is, doting on Caliban:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYXQy...1&feature=plcp

Among the related videos, you'll find some taken by my sister when my
cats were staying at hers.

I'm so sorry you were so ill but again so glad you're feeling better.

I will miss you a great deal if you leave. Please stay if at all possible,
an occasional post is better than no Marina.

Viktor sounds absolutely lovely even though Caliban is having a bit of
trouble adjusting to all the adoration. I'm sure Mir will soon settle down
him.

Judith

NIN is worth 10 euros/year.