Ping Christine Burel

Old December 10th 03, 06:21 AM
LOL

Default Ping Christine Burel

How did you like the Anti-Icky-Poo? I am interested, as we have
entered the 2003 edition of the Great December Sprayfest. Mike just
*cannot* handle the changed routines that come with holidays. In
fact, Saturday morning he woke me up by spraying me in the face. I
know I'm not the only one who's had this experience (thinking of you,
Liz P!), but I must say I can't recommend it as a good way to start
your day. Mike checked out okay at TED just 2 weeks ago, so I am not
currently worried about any physical problems - he is just a lunatic
little animal. DH asked me how we'd keep him from spraying the
presents under the tree, and I pointed out that last year we *didn't*
- everyone on our gift list got the special bonus of at least a whiff
of kittypee. So we are extremely interested in any and all
appropriate countermeasures.

------
Krista
Who has never before gotten up and moving quite so fast on a Saturday,
and who loves her kitty (repeating that last bit to self, over and
over). ;-)
Old December 10th 03, 01:59 PM
Christine Burel

Hey, Krista -- so far I've only used it on a few really bad places
carpetwise as my great plans for the weekend carpet treatment got diverted
so I'm going to try some more this weekend. So far I think it is going to
work really well re the smell because Midnight peed a huge amount that just
soaked the carpet right next to the computer desk the day this stuff
arrived. I poured a lot of the stuff onto the carpet, injected it into the
carpet also with that incredibly large hypodermic needle and I don't smell
anything at all there.-- I'm going to try treating a host of sprayed items
(gym bag, camera case, some winter scarves, etc.) that are currently out in
the garage and will post an update.

Re Mike spraying, if you've ruled out medical stuff, have you talked to your
vet about one of the anti-anxiety meds as a possibility, too? Megan told me
about Prozac -- apparently there are other meds, too. I'm currently trying
Prozac with Midnight since about a month (takes some time to have an effect
I was told) and she's definitely calmer and isn't peeing as much but I'm
still watching her every move. She also squats and pees rather than
spraying as it sounds like Mike is doing. I'm also trying out a new cat
litter called "Cat Attract" by a Dr. Eisley (Petmart - 20 lb. for $11) and
she actually used it the other day -- we'll see...

Purrs for Mikey to settle down and for you to have a less offensive alarm
clock!
Christine (will keep you informed though)

m...

Old December 11th 03, 12:55 AM
William Berry

Hey Krista,
I can commiserate with you problems. We put up our first Xmas tree the other
day, and Little Momma and the kittens just loved it. The kittens seem to
spend most of their time up in it, and the water from the stand! But their
father, Red - well he just freaked out and started running around and scent
marking everything, including me. Its sort of like his is thinking - either
they planted a big tree in the middle of the living room, or although it
still look like we're in the house, we're really outside. Which means that
other cats or dogs could show up at any minute, so I had better run around
and scent mark everything in the house so they'll know that its mine. I'm
ready to toss the tree outside, if I could get the kittens out of it long
enough.
-
William Berry - Author of:
"Do You Hear The Cat Voices Singing?"
ISBN# 1-59113-445-5
www.angelfire.com/fl4/kittenheart

m...

Old December 11th 03, 04:41 AM
Marina

"LOL" wrote
How did you like the Anti-Icky-Poo? I am interested, as we have
entered the 2003 edition of the Great December Sprayfest. Mike just
*cannot* handle the changed routines that come with holidays. In
fact, Saturday morning he woke me up by spraying me in the face.

Eeewww, Krista, what a horrible way to wake up! You must really love Mike a
lot (I know you do). I hope the Anti-Icky-Poo (the thought that someone has
actually named a product that has me LOLing) helps.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old December 11th 03, 05:41 AM
LOL

"Christine Burel" wrote in message ...
[...]

Gee, I have quite a few items in an outside storage room awaiting
treatment too! :-P

DH and I talked to TED yesterday, and we are trying again with valium.
It didn't agree with Mike last year; it made him waaay too stoned,
and he was distressed by being so uncoordinated and not able to
understand why. We are trying 1/8 of the dose prescribed last year;
TED again recommended valium as a first try, mostly because it clears
out of the system faster, if it turns out not to work. TED said he's
gotten good results with prozac with d*gs, and we may end up trying
that. Mike has an appt. on December 22 for his bloodwork preliminary
to a dental appt., so we can discuss it again then.

Thanks for the purrs! We are returning them double. :-)

------
Krista
Old December 11th 03, 12:13 PM
Stacey

"LOL" wrote
SNIP In fact, Saturday morning he woke me up by spraying me in the
face.....

..... DH asked me how we'd keep him from spraying the
presents under the tree, and I pointed out that last year we *didn't* -
everyone on our gift list got the special bonus of at least a whiff of
kittypee.SNIP

After wrapping this year, I said "Where can we put these where they'll be
safe from the Mooginator?". DH said "The closet?". LOL. That's where they
are now!
Stacey

SNIP
Who has never before gotten up and moving quite so fast on a Saturday, and
who loves her kitty (repeating that last bit to self, over and over). ;-)

ROFL!!!!

Old December 12th 03, 05:57 AM
LOL

"William Berry" wrote in message hlink.net...
[...]

That scenario *does* sound awfully familiar. I would be more
understanding if this were Mike's very first Christmas tree, but it's
not - it's his twelfth. *sigh*

What you said about Red's thinking makes sense. I could believe
Mike's just picking up too many "outside" cues, if it weren't that
there's *always* a big (ficus) tree in the living room, and if it
weren't that Mike sprays whenever he disapproves of something (any and
all change, usually), and if it weren't that going outside for a
little while usually calms Mike down and actually reduces the spraying
for a bit. It's hard to apply kitty logic to PsychoMike. :-D

I am sending purrs that all the kitties at your house settle down
pronto!

------
Krista
Who intends to check out your interesting-looking site when she has
time enough to do it justice
Old December 12th 03, 06:00 AM
LOL

"Stacey" wrote in message ...

After wrapping this year, I said "Where can we put these where they'll be
safe from the Mooginator?". DH said "The closet?". LOL. That's where they
are now!
Stacey

Good idea! I still have all presents put away in the boxes and bags
they came in, and I think I'm just going to wrap everything at the
last minute, so they won't spend a lot of time under the tree flashing
their big neon "pee on me" signs. ;-)
------
Krista
Old December 16th 03, 12:22 AM
JP Hobbs

Cant help it laugh myself silly at these kind of posts
I can just imagine ,everyone unwrapping their xmas
gifts wondering what kind of iffy and whiffy perfume
you must have been wearing at the time of wrapping.
god love you, Jean P.
[...]

m...

Old December 16th 03, 03:36 PM

DH and I talked to TED yesterday, and
we are trying again with valium. It didn't
agree with Mike last year; it made him
waaay too stoned,
and he was distressed by being so
uncoordinated and not able to understand
why. We are trying 1/8 of the dose
prescribed last year; TED again
recommended valium as a first try, mostly
because it clears out of the system faster,
if it turns out not to work.

I'm not sure why your vet feels 1/8 of the dose of Valium would be
effective. There are also concerns as in some cats valium can cause
*irreversible* liver failure. With so many other medications available I
would never consider using valium as a first try. Prozac is probably
your best bet as a first try as it has a relatively high safety margin
and has had no known side effects reported in cats. If it does not work,
however, it is a medication that the cat needs to be weaned off slowly
over a few weeks time. HTH.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke