Mowsie in the howsie

Old May 28th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Mowsie in the howsie

Hmmm. My ploy of leaving the back door open to let Boyfriend's latest
"gift" escape obviously didn't work.
I was in the house most of the day yesterday as it threw it down raing from
morning until.. (well, it's still raining now) and was sitting in my
armchair reading a really nice book when I heard a *noise* in the pile of
logs next to my woodburner. A scratching noise, in fact, the unmistakable
sound of a mouse in the house. Oh, great!
Boyfie was snoozing right next me to on his donut bed (it was raining after
all, don't forget) but the noise woke him up and he sprang across the room
to do a bit of threatening presence and hard staring.
It went on all the rest of the day. Boyfie would occasionally move to
another part of the room, get behind the furniture and stare a bit more.
Just to show me he was really trying, given that it's his fault in the first
place ;-)

I dug out from the depths of a cupboard this wonderful catch-alive mouse
trap I have. It's a wooden box with cunningly contrived entrances that let
the mouse in but not out, baited it with a few sunflower hearts from my wild
bird seed, put it behind an armchair right against the wall and went to bed.

Success! The mouse was in the trap when I got up. I released it 50 yards
down my garden. It can get a living down there, plenty of poultry food
around.

Tweed

Old May 28th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Glad you caught the mouse and gave him another chance. I'll have to get
another sack of sunflower hearts next week, the goldfinches love them.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 28th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:39:55 +0100, "Adrian A"
yodeled:

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I am jealous that you have goldfinches. We have a lot of great birds
here that surprise a lot of people in the big city, but I've got to
get up and go to a wooded or open area to see goldfinches.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 28th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Until the apartment manager had the small tree in the corner of my patio cut
down, I had a place to hang the thistle feeder and saw goldfinches all the
time. If I get a few extra bucks I need to buy another shepherd's hook so I
can hang the thistle feeder again.

Jill

Old May 28th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

American and English goldfinches are not the same. This is what ours look
like:
http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Tweed

Old May 28th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Kreisleriana wrote:

I am jealous that you have goldfinches. We have a lot of great birds
here that surprise a lot of people in the big city, but I've got to
get up and go to a wooded or open area to see goldfinches.

Actually, our goldfinches in Burope are a different species to the North
American ones, both are beautiful, this is our goldfinch.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...inch/index.asp

Old May 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 28 May 2007 16:32:16 +0100, "Adrian A"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

I am jealous that you have goldfinches. We have a lot of great birds
here that surprise a lot of people in the big city, but I've got to
get up and go to a wooded or open area to see goldfinches.

Actually, our goldfinches in Burope are a different species to the North
American ones, both are beautiful, this is our goldfinch.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...inch/index.asp

Wow, that is a gorgeous bird! How exactly does that help my jeaousy?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 28th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Kreisleriana wrote:

I am jealous that you have goldfinches. We have a lot of great
birds here that surprise a lot of people in the big city, but I've
got to get up and go to a wooded or open area to see goldfinches.

Actually, our goldfinches in Burope are a different species to the
North American ones, both are beautiful, this is our goldfinch.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...inch/index.asp

Wow, that is a gorgeous bird! How exactly does that help my jeaousy?

I suppose it won't help when I tell you I've counted as many as twenty
outside my window? ;-)

Old May 28th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I am jealous that you have goldfinches. We have a lot of great birds
here that surprise a lot of people in the big city, but I've got to
get up and go to a wooded or open area to see goldfinches.

Actually, our goldfinches in Burope are a different species to the
North American ones, both are beautiful, this is our goldfinch.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...inch/index.asp

I've only seen one in the wild once. I'd just been up a mountain in
the Highlands and was sitting on the platform of the railway station
to go back home when this tiny little thing perched on the toe of my
boot and looked at me. It checked to see if I had any seeds stuck in
my bootlaces and then whizzed off again. I've never seen a bird with
so little fear of people.

Round here they would all be catfood in no time. The only birds that
survive are the ones that stay in the trees or at roof level.