Cat bite

Old July 13th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Cat bite

On Jul 12, 6:35 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
KFC does not groom herself effectively any more, so I have to do it. She
hates me doing it so I only do it about every two weeks when she starts to
look disreputable and neglected.
I was just doing it now when she spun round and bit me hard at the base of
my thumb, lots of blood.
I've treated it by putting my hand under a running tap, spraying it with
anti-bac stuff and dabbing it with antiseptic. Is there anything else I
need to do, or will this be enough? I can't have an anti-tetanus shot as
I'm allergic to the vaccine.

Tweed

Ouch! I know how badly that hurts. Take care of yourself and if it
begins to swell get to a doctor right away. Purrs on the way.
Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old July 13th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-07-12 17:35:41 -0500, "Christina Websell"
said:

KFC does not groom herself effectively any more, so I have to do it.
She hates me doing it so I only do it about every two weeks when she
starts to look disreputable and neglected.
I was just doing it now when she spun round and bit me hard at the base
of my thumb, lots of blood.
I've treated it by putting my hand under a running tap, spraying it with
anti-bac stuff and dabbing it with antiseptic. Is there anything else I
need to do, or will this be enough? I can't have an anti-tetanus shot
as I'm allergic to the vaccine.

Tweed

You must have hit a sore spot.

LOL! What, on Kitty? She has no sore spots she is just plain bad
tempered because she is is so old. I am getting that way myself :-)

Tweed

Oh I don't know. Maybe but with grooming an old kitty they can have soreish
places. I hope the hand is not too bad!

Old July 14th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

KFC does not groom herself effectively any more, so I have to do it. She
hates me doing it so I only do it about every two weeks when she starts to
look disreputable and neglected.
I was just doing it now when she spun round and bit me hard at the base of
my thumb, lots of blood.
I've treated it by putting my hand under a running tap, spraying it with
anti-bac stuff and dabbing it with antiseptic. Is there anything else I
need to do, or will this be enough? I can't have an anti-tetanus shot as
I'm allergic to the vaccine.

You might try calling a hospital emergency service and ask -
usually they are glad to advise, in such cases. The
lizards my cats used to bring in from the garden were
usually more-or-less comatose (possibly from starvation) by
the time I found them. However, once when I picked one up
to remove it, it whipped around and bit me hard enough to
draw blood! I wasn't so much worried about tetanus as
whether the lizard might be poisonous, so called a hospital
emergency room for advice. When the nurse got through
laughing, she assured me I had no cause to worry, but it
certainly set my mind at ease.
Old July 14th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

So Tweed, how's the bite looking today? Does it seem infected, swollen,
painful, red-streaky, etc? If not, then it'll probably be OK. If so, then
time to visit the ER or doctor.

Joyce
Old July 15th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
So Tweed, how's the bite looking today? Does it seem infected, swollen,
painful, red-streaky, etc? If not, then it'll probably be OK. If so, then
time to visit the ER or doctor.

Joyce

It seems all right, thanks for asking. No swelling, which is unusual for me
as almost every wound I get goes swollen and pussy (excuse pun.)
It's not as deep as I first feared which is lucky as a small entry hole deep
puncture wound from a carnivore is often bad news.

Tweed

Old July 15th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

oups.com...
wrote:
KFC does not groom herself effectively any more, so I have to do it. She
hates me doing it so I only do it about every two weeks when she starts
look disreputable and neglected.
I was just doing it now when she spun round and bit me hard at the base
of
my thumb, lots of blood.
I've treated it by putting my hand under a running tap, spraying it with
anti-bac stuff and dabbing it with antiseptic. Is there anything else I
need to do, or will this be enough? I can't have an anti-tetanus shot as
I'm allergic to the vaccine.

Tweed

Ouch! I know how badly that hurts. Take care of yourself and if it
begins to swell get to a doctor right away. Purrs on the way.

Thanks, Julie. I seem to have got off lightly ;-)
Up to now.

Tweed

Old July 15th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bettina" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 13 Jul., 00:35, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
KFC does not groom herself effectively any more, so I have to do it. She
hates me doing it so I only do it about every two weeks when she starts
look disreputable and neglected.
I was just doing it now when she spun round and bit me hard at the base
of
my thumb, lots of blood.
I've treated it by putting my hand under a running tap, spraying it with
anti-bac stuff and dabbing it with antiseptic. Is there anything else I
need to do, or will this be enough? I can't have an anti-tetanus shot as
I'm allergic to the vaccine.

Tweed

Ouch - I am sorry for your pain. Hope it will heal fast.
KFC is definitely a tough defender of her volition.

Thanks for your good wishes, Bettina. Kitty was always smart-looking until
she got very old. Now she either won't or can't groom herself properly.
The best she can do is leave what looks like a snail-trail in her fur, so
meowmie has to try and do it..
She's always been fierce and strong willed. If she hadn't been, such a very
tiny cat (2 kg) would never have survived her feral times.

Tweed

Old July 15th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 12, 5:35 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
KFC does not groom herself effectively any more, so I have to do it. She
hates me doing it so I only do it about every two weeks when she starts
look disreputable and neglected.
I was just doing it now when she spun round and bit me hard at the base
of
my thumb, lots of blood.
I've treated it by putting my hand under a running tap, spraying it with
anti-bac stuff and dabbing it with antiseptic. Is there anything else I
need to do, or will this be enough? I can't have an anti-tetanus shot as
I'm allergic to the vaccine.

Tweed

Just watch it. You can expect it to be very sore and maybe swollen &
red. But if it
gets exceptionally swollen, or feels hot, or has red streaks running
from it, you will
need to see a doctor and get some antibiotics. The last time I had a
bad bite I just went
to the doctor and got the antibiotics anyway, since the previous time
I had a hard time
with the infection. That's a bad place for a bite, too; you use your
thumb so much and it
will more than likely be very tender for a few days. Good luck with
it.

Thanks, Sherry, your good luck wishes seem to be working. The bite is not
too bad at all.
Kitty Farmcat is a cat that does not suffer fools gladly, and she is easily
overstimulated into biting when she asks for pettings and strokings.
Usually those bites are not too hard, but I always put her off my knee when
she does it.
I probably groomed her for too long for her liking. It has to be a rush
job! as I know what she's like, but about 3 minutes was obviously far, far,
too long.
I wish she would give some sort of sign, like growling, say 10 seconds
before she loses her temper so I can stop doing whatever it is, but she
doesn't.
She likes it to be a surprise.

Tweed

Old July 15th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

wrote:
[...]

Jake bites, but he is a very particular cat and won't bite until he licks
the spot first. Serves you right if you know that and still get bit.

Jo

Old July 15th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Christina Websell wrote:

It seems all right, thanks for asking. No swelling, which is unusual for me
as almost every wound I get goes swollen and pussy (excuse pun.)
It's not as deep as I first feared which is lucky as a small entry hole deep
puncture wound from a carnivore is often bad news.

Tweed

Lots of healing purrs,
Polonca and Soncek