Kindle questions - OT

Old June 12th 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Default Kindle questions - OT

"Joy" wrote:
"Kajikit" wrote in message

m...
On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
Although nothing will ever replace real books for me, it seems to me
that
an
e-reader would be the best bet for traveling, as opposed to taking a
large
number of books along.

Since my kids are taking me to Australia in October, I'm seriously
considering getting an e-reader. So far I'm leaning toward a Kindle,
but
have lots of questions.

For one thing, they range from the bare bones to the Kindle Fire. I
think
there's one even more expensive than the Fire, but that's definitely
out
of
my range. I'm looking hard at the Kindle Touch and the next one up,
which
has 4G.

Does anybody here have a Kindle? If so, which model do you have? What
are
its advantages and disadvantages? If you wish you'd gotten a different
model, which one and why?

I get the impression that one can send email, or at least texts, on
some
models. Is this true? If so, which ones?

Apparently they can be read in full sunlight, like a real book. I
assume
this means one would need a light to use them in dim light or the dark?

Any other suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

I have what is now called the Kindle Keyboard, and a case. The case
is needed to protect the Kindle from wear and tear and comes with a
booklight. The Kindle Fire has a backlight built in. I also have more
than 100 titles so far. The nice thing is you can carry a lot of books
inside your Kindle. The bad thing is that you can't lend or give away
or sell your old Kindle e-books. The Kindle does come with a web
browser.
The browser is barely adequate. The Kindle doesn't lend itself to
web browsing. I'd get a tablet computer if web browsing was important.

Bud

Thank you for this information. How big is the screen? How heavy is it?

No, web browsing isn't that important. I thought it would be nice to be
able to send email, but I could find other ways to do that if it's
important. OTOH, if you aren't visiting the web, what is the advantage of
the keyboard?

You can make notes on the books you are reading and save them. You can
enter your password/email to use your kindle together with Facebook.
And you can play games...

All the kindles are really lightweight, even with a cover on them. I
got a foldy cover for mine and a clipon booklight because it was
cheaper than the 'official' cover with the built-in light.

And the clip-on light works fine? About the cover - I just had a thought.
I've recently taken up crocheting again, after a hiatus of a few decades.
Maybe I could crochet a cover?

Joy

When reading reading real books I sometimes us a LED head light, I imagine
it would work just as well with a kindle.

--
Adrian
Old June 12th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

My sister in law has a Kindle which she used to take to my hospital appts
while she waited to take me home.
I had a look at it, and my impression was that your sight has to be good
read the print on it. I found it difficult.
I don't know what model it is. Probably the basic one - she didn't tell
me
she could send texts and emails on it, which she would have done if she
could have.
Tweed

It is very easy to adjust the size of the font on all kindles. My mother
has one and as she has the beginnings of cataracts she has the print quite
large. As for 3G, 4G I wouldn't think it was worth paying the extra when
so
many places now offer free wi-fi.
--

I did ask my s-i-l if the font could be increased and she said she didn't
know. This is typical of my brother, he likes to have her dumbed down,

Old June 12th 12, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Jane" wrote in message
On Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:23:28 PM UTC-4, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

to read the print on it. I found it difficult.
I don't know what model it is. Probably the basic one - she didn't
tell
me she could send texts and emails on it, which she would have done if
she
could have.
Tweed

Okay, thanks.

Joy

One of my friends got a Kindle because her sight had deteriorated to the
point where regular books are difficult for her to read. Her Kindle
allows her to enlarge the print big enough that she can read it, so she's
slowly enjoying reading again.

Jane

That's great!

Joy

Old June 12th 12, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
[...]

That's a thought. Thanks.

Joy

Old June 12th 12, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I did ask my s-i-l if the font could be increased and she said she didn't
know. This is typical of my brother, he likes to have her dumbed down,
which infuriates me intensely. And yes he does this all the time.
Ok she isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she is wonderful, she
takes me to all my hospital appts - taking time off work to do so, and even
volunteered to make sure Boyfie & my chickens were fed when we weren't sure
if the man over the road was doing it. She has no experience of chickens at
all and felt sure they would peck her badly, but still she did it. For me.
Bless your kind heart, Claire. You are fantastic and maybe she needs to know
it at

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tweed, if your s-i-l would like to change the font, tell her to try this.
Look for the "Aa" key (without the quote marks). It is probably directly to
the right of the space bar. Press that. A screen will open which shows
(among other things) fonts of different sizes. There is a 5-way controller
on the front of her Kindle. It varies in different versions, but it is
probably a square. She can press each of the four edges to move the cursor
and press the middle to make a selection. She should move the controller to
move to a larger (or smaller) font, then press when she sees the size she
wants. The font in the book she is reading will immediately change. She
can do the same thing to change the font later. It is a quick and easy
adjustment.

Note: She should have a book or document open on the screen when she does
this. It will not work if she tries it from the home page where she has a
list of all of her books.

I hope this helps.

MaryL

Old June 12th 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Mary, will tell her this if/when she needs to do it. I'm saving
your post.
Tweed

kindle Patok[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 January 27th 12 08:18 AM
kindle Patok Cat anecdotes 6 January 27th 12 08:14 AM
e-book kindle googleGroupGuy Cat anecdotes 0 February 19th 11 11:43 PM
ot, kindle Stormmee Cat anecdotes 25 August 3rd 09 02:45 AM
Questions.... Angela Ryan Cat anecdotes 2 September 5th 03 07:42 PM