Another cat? I have four already

Old November 14th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Another cat? I have four already

My neighbor Serene had a new cat come to feed. Calico, very friendly.
Too friendly to be a stray. Serene had to run out just then so her son
brought it over to my house. She doesn't have a spare room and didn't
want to let it in with her five cats unsupervised. Reasonable.

I think she wanted me to take it in, but I didn't want to disrupt my
four so I left it outside and fed it, and it went away. It isn't very
cold or anything and I figured that it might live somewhere around. If
it was really a stray, it would show up again to feed. Well, it did.
Serene, once again having to run out (sweet sixteen party that her son
was attending), asked if I could take it in until she got back.

I put Callie in the Cat Introduction Room (tiny spare bedroom) and let
it get acclimated. Last night we took Callie to North Shore Animal
Hospital, which has late hours even on Sunday without extra charge.
The cat is negative for FLV and AIDS, and is about a year old.
Headbutting friendly, and must have been dumped just recently.

So it's in my CIR waiting while its future is determined. I want
Serene to take it in, but they live in a small apartment and aren't
supposed to have pets. I feed an outside cat named Baby and promised
Baby that the next opening would be for her, but I really can't handle
five cats, mostly by myself. It wouldn't be fair to baby to take in
another cat before her.

If Serene can't take it in (her husband is nice but six is a lot)
maybe we can take it back to North Shore and get it adopted. It is a
very sweet cat.
Old November 14th 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I'd vote for adoption (assuming it's a no-kill facility) if neither of you
are willing to take her in and you can't find the owner.

John has had a black & white cat coming up to his porch, crying as if it's
starving. It appeared perfectly healthy but he assumed it had been dumped.
So he fed it. Now it comes around all the time, begging for food. He found
out last week it belongs to a couple who run a restaurant up the street. I
advised him to stop putting food out immediately. Seems to me they are
using the "neighborhood" to feed their cat.

Jill

Old November 14th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

dgk wrote:
[...]

I don't envy you, you're in a difficult situation. :-(
--
Adrian
Old November 14th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 11/14/2011 07:27 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

We are sending our heartfelt prayers and purrs that the two homeless
kitties will acquire good homes. MLB
Old November 14th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

John has had a black & white cat coming up to his porch, crying as if it's
starving. It appeared perfectly healthy but he assumed it had been dumped.
So he fed it. Now it comes around all the time, begging for food. He found
out last week it belongs to a couple who run a restaurant up the street. I
advised him to stop putting food out immediately. Seems to me they are
using the "neighborhood" to feed their cat.

That could be the case, or else the opposite could be happening - that
because people in the neighborhood are feeding the cat, the cat doesn't
need to go home to eat. Which is mighty convenient for the cat if he/she
doesn't like the food served by the official caretakers.

As you might remember, this is exactly what happened with me and Smudge.
A woman down the street from me fell for Smudge's abject begging, and
concluded that I wasn't feeding her enough. In fact, I was, and I was
giving her top-of-the-line premium food, which was much better for her
than the junk food kibble my neighbor was feeding her. But of course,
Smudge vastly preferred the junk food kibble ("kitty McDonald's" is what
I used to call it), so she would barely eat what I gave her before running
off to gobble up the neighbor's offering.

I talked to this woman on more than one occasion, asking her to stop
feeding Smudge. She did stop for a while (and during that time, Smudge
ate at home a lot more). But when I started noticing her eating less at
home and running off immediately, I knew the neighbor was feeding her
again. I asked her and she admitted it, accusing me of underfeeding my
cat. I wonder if some of the neighbors thought I was using the neighborhood
to feed Smudge?

And I think that's what started the whole situation of Smudge withdrawing
from my place and eventually moving in with a neighbor (a different neighbor).
There were other issues - she hated Licky, for one thing. Another neighborhood
cat claimed my front stairs as his territory, and Smudge was afraid of him.
But I really think it all began with that neighbor giving Smudge a second
food option, which was apparently more "fun" for Smudge, but not as healthy
for her, and pretty sad for me.

I'm not saying that you're doing this, btw. Once you learned the cat wasn't
a stray, you suggested that John *stop* feeding it. I sure wish the woman
down the street had respected my relationship with Smudge.

--
Joyce

I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare
odors. -- Cat Resolutions
Old November 14th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Oh I remember the Smudge/neighbor situation. I didn't mean to imply these
people are deliberately not feeding the cat so the neighbors will feed it.
I don't know what they do to feed the cat themselves. I'm not making
accusations. At any rate, cats do whatever they want to do But in this
case John needs to stop feeding the cat. After all, he's going to be gone
nearly all of December so he won't be there to feed it. He may as well stop
now.

Jill
Jill

Old November 15th 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:19:39 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
[...]

purrs that the right decisions are taken for this nice little cat.
Whatever you and Serena decide, I'm sure will be well thought out and that
the cat will find a good home one way or another. It has two nice ladies
looking out for it.

Judith

Ah, but I'm a guy, but Callie does have two nice people who care for
her. Serene talked her husband into taking her in and Callie was in
the living room with them last night and the other cats (Bluebell,
Gizmo, Dusty, Shave, and Raven) were locked in the kitchen/bedroom
part of the apartment. Serene never did any of the normal cat
introduction methods (scent shifting, etc). They just meet each other
and get along. Well, mostly.

So I'm still at four cats and Serene is at six. While I have more room
(a little house), that really doesn't count because the cats are
usually wherever I am. So having a few rooms doesn't matter when all
the cats are on my bed with me. Also, it takes a certain time
commitment to deal with each cat, what with petting and playing and
such. They're three people and I'm mostly only one although the
significant other does stay for weekends and holidays.

So far, it seems ok. If it is too much for them, I may take Callie.
She is a wonderful chin-butting cat. Those are so rare.
Old November 15th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-11-15 11:15 AM, dgk wrote:

[...]

Cats are funny that way. They can have a whole house to roam in, but
they tend to like being with their human. Not that most of them are
actually being affectionate or anything, to judge by their manner; they
just happen to be snoozing in the room where you are, and if you get up
and leave, it's a pure coincidence that minutes later that they are
snoozing in the room you moved to!

(My Sammy is an exception; he is very demonstrative, and although he
does snooze, he also likes being petted and if you don't do enough, will
head-but or paw-pat you until you get the idea. Plus, of course, wander
the house wailing plaintively if he can't find you.)

--
Cheryl