Simon & Boyfriend

Old May 23rd 12, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Simon & Boyfriend

Simon is the only visitor that Boyfriend will tolerate. He's my ex welfare
officer from work and now a friend.
When the doorbell rings, it always sends Boyfie upstairs like a racehorse to
his bedroom before I can open the door.
He never comes back downstairs as long as they are there, no matter how long
it goes past his teatime.
For some months, it's been clear that "Simon is different"

A couple of months ago, I actually thought that Boyfie was going rub his
cheek against Simon's leg, but he chickened out.
Yesterday he came back downstairs, Simon had one leg across the other IYSWIM
with his foot up. Boyfie came towards his foot, looked at it, I thought
he's going to do it this time, but it was still a step too far.
What Boyfie did was curl his tail around Simon's ankle for a few moments and
then disappear outside.
It made me feel quite emotional.
Years and years this boy has been afraid of visitors, even
June who has fed him for weeks has no concessions, he hides from her too if
I am home.
Tweed

Old May 24th 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

A couple of months ago, I actually thought that Boyfie was going rub his
cheek against Simon's leg, but he chickened out.
Yesterday he came back downstairs, Simon had one leg across the other IYSWIM
with his foot up. Boyfie came towards his foot, looked at it, I thought
he's going to do it this time, but it was still a step too far.
What Boyfie did was curl his tail around Simon's ankle for a few moments and
then disappear outside.
It made me feel quite emotional.

Awww. He was flirting! That's how shy boycats let humans know they like
them. When Licky wants attention but is too scared to let me touch him,
he will slink along the furniture with his tail curling this way and that
behind him. It's like he's saying, "This is how I would rub up against
you if I weren't such a scaredy boy."

But Boyfie is obviously a lot more shy than Licky, so it's pretty amazing
what he did. Sooner or later he's going to let Simon pet him, I know it.
One step at a time, though.

--
Joyce

A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old May 24th 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

you might speak to simon about taking him if you exit befor boyfriend, its
nice to know he does care or at is not terrified of at least one other human

Old May 24th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Although I am sure Simon would agree because he is such a nice man, I have
been to his house to meet his wife and see his chickens. and it is far too
near a very busy main road to be safe for Boyfriend.
I've already arranged where Boyfie will go if the worst happens. Debbie
Wilson will take him. She is a member of this group, although she rarely
posts now, and is experienced in rescue and difficult shy cats. Although it
might be traumatic for him at first, it will be a far more suitable home as
he will be able to go out safely eventually and wander like he's been used
to.
Anyway, I'm hoping it does not come to that.
I've already far exceeded the life span I was told I had (they said weeks in
2005) but it's been 7 years now and I intend to make it much longer ;-)
Tweed

Old May 24th 12, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
[...]

It sounds as if Boyfie has made up his mind to be friendly and is working
up to a bigger show of affection.

It's only taken 8 or 9 years to get this far..as that's how long Simon has
visited but yes, next time he comes maybe Boyfie will rub against his leg
(and then run away, because it's scary to like anyone but his meowmie)
I'd like him to be more confident with visitors, but this will never happen.
A ring on the doorbell sends him either outside or upstairs to his bedroom.
Perhaps he is just a naturally shy cat or maybe something bad happened to
him - I will never know. Maybe he moved out from his original home because
something bad happened, or maybe he wandered away looking for girlies and
got lost. Who knows? I don't and he cannot tell me.
He seems really happy here so maybe whatever happened turned out for the
best for him.

Tweed

Old May 25th 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i am well pleased you have made suitable arrangements, it was your OC that
even started on that path, it is what my grandmother died of, they too gave
her five weeks and she lived ten years, not all pleaseant, but she was able
to visit europe with help from my mother and brother, Lee

Old May 25th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

one thing i can gaurentee you from the human perspective is that even the
worst things sometimes turn out for the best,... i am still looking for the
positive in dh having a stroke but i have actually found some positives in
the house burning, so i am sure boyfriend finds your companionship a
positive, Lee

Old May 25th 12, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

I've already arranged where Boyfie will go if the worst happens. Debbie
Wilson will take him. She is a member of this group, although she rarely
posts now, and is experienced in rescue and difficult shy cats. Although it
might be traumatic for him at first, it will be a far more suitable home as
he will be able to go out safely eventually and wander like he's been used
to.

I'm still here - mainly lurking. I'm not sure if you knew we had
moved.... to rural Cornwall on a very quiet lane and no neighbours, so
it's even more suitable for Boyfie now. Although of course, I hope that
those circumstances never arise.
Can you email me your current email address and I will update you with
my new address details? For your peace of mind.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old May 27th 12, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

it was me who brought it up out of concern for tweed's peace of mind, i am
very glad she has already found a suitable home should it hpappen, we all
should do this whilst we can, the DH's recen't illnesses have me thinking
alot more about these sorts of things, Lee