cat suddenly paralyzed

Old July 9th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elle

Default cat suddenly paralyzed

"Popsie's Mom" wrote
To add to my own post before anyone else does, IF I
thought Popsie's
condition was life threatening or she did NOT "snap out of
it" - we
would seek Adams Veterinary Clinic fast or go right up the
road to the
Emergency Animal Hospital. However, it takes lots of hard
cold cash
that at other times of my life I was not so blessed to be
able to have
for my pets and they suffered. I was a hard working Mom
with children
and it was all I could do to feed my kids. All kids need
a pet, but,
with a pet comes a LOT of responsibility, now that I am
older, I am
finally finding out. Popsie was spayed when the time was
right and
shots and wormed and regular visits and flea/tick control
on time. SO,
do ONLY people who can "afford" to "keep up" a pet have a
pet?

I can appreciate the double quotation marks around "afford"
and "keep up." They are so relative.

For my part, I am resigned that I cannot save every cat or
dog (healthy or not) in my area. I won't take more than two
cats, because the vet bills do mount up, and I am selfish
enough that I won't spend all my money saving cats. Also, I
think that if I did fill my house with rescue cats. In my
area, there would always be more. I also won't spend all my
money saving, arguably far more importantly, children dying
in Africa. I volunteer a number of hours each week for an
animal rescue organization. It's nothing, in the greater
scheme of things. The organization seems to be ramping up
its efforts but I suspect it's a case of demand (for foster
homes for cats and dogs) always exceeding supply. There are
just too many people who don't spay/neuter their animals in
my area.

I think many animal rescue volunteers become saturated, and
one by one (with some exceptions) attrit. And nothing or
very little really changes.

Then--to me--there is the decision about how much to spend
on a very sick animal's care. I often think how many young
health animals this money could save. Is it better to have
100 cats and dogs enjoy life to the age of seven, or have 20
cats and dogs enjoy life to the age of 14? That sort of
calculation that I think honest people will admit is out
there and of course is brutal.

If so,
the very people who NEED pets emotionally probably would
never have one
- correct?

Yes. Leaving the wealthier who often do not care about
society's needs and so would promote more euthanization of
healthy dogs and cats.

I live in a retirement home. We who have a pet MUST do
all
of the above and the pet must stay inside only. HOWEVER,
strays come
onto the campus property and have babies and grandbabies
and great...
and and and. SO, periodically, the cat-catcher does his
thing. Miami
is over-run with feral or stray or alley cats. Keeps mice
down. (more
delicate to say mice than rats). Hope all are well today.

Take care, Popsie's mom. The wise elderly are the only
chance young folks have.

Old July 9th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 09:46:26 -0700, skuddo wrote:

Yesterday my mom found my cat our inside/outside cat sitting by our
aprtment in a daze. She could hardly stand or walk strait, and she was
twitching/convulsing. We live in san antonio ...

In any area where rabies is a possibility, any animal with an unexplained,
relatively sudden, nervous system disorder should be taken to a
veterinarian It's probably something else - some cats are prone to
blood clots that cause paralysis from the site of the clot, back. You
might be willing to take the chance that it isn't rabies, but she is an
outside cat and other people may have handled her.

Using Google, I find that the Humane Society & SPCA of Bexar County (and
San Antonio) is open until 7pm tonight (they're closed tomorrow). Why not
give them a call and see what they suggest what you might do.
http://www.humanesocietyspca.org/

Old July 9th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Popsie's Mom

I very much value a post like yours because I get mail all the time for
donations for this or that; churches want tithe and donations; family
need help; etc. I've learned to watch out for myself as to my own
ESSENTIALS because nobody else will. My Mom and Dad wrote out a tithe
check for $100 to a church and had no groceries to eat and were to
embarressed to ask for help. So, they tore up the check and prayed
about it and bought food. They have a tiny poodle and "Christy" is
always taken care of - why? They know she is "human" to them and has
to be taken care of. I see posts below this one that do not merit
comment. I've been there too. I've had to pawn everything I've owned
not for a cat but for my children to have something to eat or for gas
for our car for my husband to go to work. I've also sold blood plasma
for $15 for something to eat or a little gasoline. You do what you
have to do. But all that is not encouraging a lady whose cat is dear
to her and is "family" to her and she is scared. She does not need to
be blessed out and put down. As for rabies or whatever? I don't know.

Old July 10th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Elle" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote
wrote:

Yesterday my mom found my cat our inside/outside cat
sitting by our
aprtment in a daze. She could hardly stand or walk strait,
and she was
twitching/convulsing. We live in san antonio and It was a
pretty hot
day out, so my mom figured it was just heat stroke
(alothough it had
never happend befor and there's always plenny of water for
her) and we
got her to drink water till she wouldnt drink anymore.
It's now been
more then 12 hours and she's seems almost comletely
paralized from the
neck down.She doesnt seem to be in any kind of pain, but
im sure she
must have gotten hold of somesort of toxin, beacause my
girlfriend saw
her earlyer that morning and said she wasn't walking
strait. We haven't
taken her to a vet, and due to money we probably won't be
able to. Does
any one have any idea what might be wrong with her or what
we can do?

Why the hell isn't this cat at a vet?

Out of curiosity:
What part of "due to money we probably won't be able to
[take her to a vet]" does not make sense to you?

How many cats are being euthanized this week at your local
shelter because you refused to rescue them?

I think you could find a more persuasive tone to help this
cat. That's the point, isn't it?

Idiot.

Old July 10th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
angel

Default cat suddenly paralyzed/quality of pet life

Candace wrote:

It's a dilemma--iis a home that
cannot provide vet care better than no home? At least the cat will get
fed and have some love in its life.

Yes it's far better to have a home even with no vet care, but like you
said

the OP here, has not stated any efforts to get credit, or some sort of
intervention from any vet er facilities. You would think at a minimum
the local county/city authorities would direct her to low-cost
solution, or offer to come get the cat.

Of course the obvious lesson here is DON'T LEAVE A CAT OUTSIDE

they left it in the heat all day, this is such a sad story, poor little
cat waiting outside the door for the bitches to come home from the
mall. I know damn well they ain't that damn broke or ignorant that they
couldn't even call the pound to get direction.

makes me angry

I don't have alot of money laying around either, but it is almost
criminal to let an animal suffer and even more ignorant to go public
and tell it.

PLENTY could have been done from the onset of their discovery, it's
cruel and borderline criminal, they are being negligent

it was like Yesterday that the cat went limp from the heat.

them two need shot with **** then whipped for stinking

Old July 10th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Elle

"cybercat" wrote
"Elle" wrote
wrote
wrote:

[...]

If you can't respond to the questions, then I think that
proves my points above.