Rescued from Shelter

Old June 2nd 05, 06:45 AM
Philip

Default Rescued from Shelter

Ok ... I found a cat. Not the Bengal kitten or like tempered orange tabby
kitten I was after but ... that's what happens when you go shopping the
Bargain Bin.

In the past 7 days, I've seen enough colors, breeds, temperaments, and
condition of cat to make memory of them all run together. But one keep
popping up in my mind. Decided today to go back to that particular shelter
and if that particular tabby was still there ... bust him out of kitty jail.

Geez ... all the freekin' paperwork, microchip, couple of spot blood tests
(and shots only as dictated by testing). I've bought new cars that generated
as much paper! INcluded is a free end to end exam if scheduled during the
first 72 hrs ownership. As is, he got a clean bill of health ... enough to
be released to me.

Oh ... about the cat. Stray, estimated 2 yrs old. Neutered. Medium/large
frame and well muscled. Very lean. VERY dark orange striping with a
cinnamon roll swirl on his sides but high contrast striping on the legs and
tail. High narrow set yellow eyes. Very dark pink nose that is quite long
for its face and dark pink ears. This one has a "face" that reminds me of
somebody I used to know ... and he was Irish and drank a lot. LOL this
one is a leaper too. Already made the top of the refrigerator in a single
bound. Investigated behind everything in the house in the first hour.
Communicates alot with tail lashing. Used the litter box. Comes running at
the sound of dry cat food bag being opened. All this an more we learned in
the first couple of hours. Likes to roll over and beg you to play with him.
But beware. He will grab your hand with both paws and then give you a nip
when he's had enough. There is sudden tail lashing in the seconds leading
up to the nip. The wife didn't take the hint and so predictably, he treated
her to a bite ... not a nip. I saw it coming and told her but ...

Now the ride home from the pound is a whole 'nuther story. LOL

Old June 2nd 05, 01:44 PM
Philip

equalizer wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:45:25 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

[...]

Fantastic!! I'm glad you found your little buddy finally, I'm sure
he's
got a great home there. Look on the bright side of the new car analogy
-- he didn't depreciate any the moment you rolled him out of the
shelter!

One more thing -- pictures!

Pictures. Well, strangely enough I was able to get three snapshots of this
HIGHLY mobile tom. But I do not have free hosting through earthlink. If
there was another way (meaning "free") to make these pictures available, I
might do so. I'm not up on this stuff. Coming up with a name for this one
is already a challenge.

Depreciation. Well, he does come with a 15 day "no fault" return policy ...
just like a cell phone! LOL

(I can hear the screams now ... "He thinks cats are like cars, are like cell
phones! Call the Fur Police!")

The nipping/biting thing is the only behavior demonstrated in the first 12
hrs that might be why he was shown the door by the previous owner. This
one's vocabulary includes a series (dozen or so in a couple of seconds) of
deliberate and rapid nostril snorting ... just short of a sneeze when
agitated (he did not appreciate being intercepted and relocated during an
escape attempt out the back door). No telling how long he was living out of
doors before Animal Control caught him.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:46 PM
Karen

"Philip" wrote in message
news
wrote:

[...]

Sounds JUST like my Pearl. She's quite the "disgusted huffer". Nips too, but
always stops when told "no" gently. Make up a Yahoo album for free. WOuld
love to see him. SOunds quite confident to be so forthcoming in a brand new
place.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:47 PM
Mary

"Philip" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Ok ... I found a cat. Not the Bengal kitten or like tempered orange tabby
kitten I was after but ... that's what happens when you go shopping the
Bargain Bin.

Bargain bin? So you somehow think if you paid more money you would have
received
a "better" cat? My sister paid big bucks for two Persians and in the space
of two years
spent thousands on the male, only to have him die of a malignant tumor
anyway. His
sister has problems but at least is still alive. Point is t's a crap shoot,
breeder or shelter,
unless you were looking to find a cat that matches your couch.

[...]

This is really good since many new cats hide at first. Since you say you
wanted a Bengal or "like-tempered" cat, I assume you wanted a bold
cat full of personality, sounds like you got him!

Communicates alot with tail lashing. Used the litter box. Comes running

at
the sound of dry cat food bag being opened. All this an more we learned in
the first couple of hours. Likes to roll over and beg you to play with

him.
But beware. He will grab your hand with both paws and then give you a nip
when he's had enough. There is sudden tail lashing in the seconds leading
up to the nip. The wife didn't take the hint and so predictably, he

treated
her to a bite ... not a nip. I saw it coming and told her but ...

You will both learn his signs, when he has had enough petting. This is a
typical thing, when cats are overstimulated, they tend to bite. If indeed
he broke the skin your wife needs to have it seen to by a doctor to
avoid infection.

Now the ride home from the pound is a whole 'nuther story. LOL

He sounds like a wonderful boy. I hope you treat him as the treasure
he is, and not as a "bargain bin" cat. Invest in a cat carrier and the rides
to and from the vet will not be so wild. Best of luck with your new cat
and bless you for rescuing a cat that needs a home.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:58 PM
Philip

Karen wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message
news
wrote:

[...]

Yahoo Album? Hmmm. Ok, I'll run this past my son ... he's the one who
keeps my computer working. I'm a Windows Weenie.

"Need a Name" spent a good portion of the night curled up on the foot of our
bed. So far, he is okay with dry Iams Original formula. Canned food ... eh.
Iams chicken/rice met with moderate approval while 9Lives veal chunks in
gravy ... well ... he ate some and then reached around the dish and
symbolically covered it up like so much excrement. The remainder will be
readily devoured by the feral outdoor ... guaranteed.

Old June 2nd 05, 04:11 PM
bigbadbarry

Philip wrote:
Ok ... I found a cat. Now the ride home from the pound is a whole 'nuther story. LOL

You sound excited.

Now what about the ride home, was the cat trying to drive the car?

Old June 2nd 05, 05:01 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
Philip wrote:
Ok ... I found a cat. Now the ride home from the pound is a whole
'nuther story. LOL

You sound excited.

Now what about the ride home, was the cat trying to drive the car?

Ah well. The Warden started issuing instructions like a drill instructor
regarding the impending new home introduction and transport in the cardboard
cat carrier. I laughed and said "As soon as the cat is in the truck, I'm
letting him out. This will make is new home seem like a place of calm safety
by comparison." LOL She shot me a strangely distrustful look.

Out in the truck (my kick about town POS diesel powered Datsun) I let "Cat"
out. This is a BIG cat (14 lbs of lean cat) for the box they provided. He
did what all cats do .... roamed from one side of the cab to the other,
voicing his concerns and looking out the windows. About 8 miles later, he
was stressed ... and curled up in my lap for the remaining 3 miles.

Arriving home, he headed for the first dark corner and hid ... for about 5
minutes. I called him out ... he came ... then after some stroking, took
off to explore behind everything in the house.

Last night, "Cat" (We're still waiting for an appropriate name to occur to
one of us), spent most of the night on the foot of our bed.

This morning was a shocker. I was in the shower. A couple of minutes
later, I hear "Cat" yowling. I turned around in the shower and there's
"Cat" standing with paws on the edge of the tub. I flicked some water on him
which didn't faze him. Back to showering. A minute later, more crying.
He's up on the bathroom basin looking at me, continuing his crying/inquiry
at volume. I tossed a handful of water his way ... splat. Back to
shampooing my hair. When I brought my head out from under the shower and
turned around, "Cat" was crouched on the window sill OVER the tub!!! That's
a good 5 foot leap onto a narrow, tiled, wet ledge! Looks like we've got a
water cat. So I wetted him down a bit with wet hands which didn't faze him
a bit. HOW WEIRD ... so soon. This cat is full of surprises and we've had
him only 15 hrs

Old June 2nd 05, 05:51 PM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:45:25 +0000, Philip wrote:

[...]

He sounds like a winner? What is his name? Eager to hear about the
journey home. Best wishes. MLB

Old June 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article .net,
"Philip" wrote:

This cat is full of surprises and we've had
him only 15 hrs

This is sounding like a match made in heaven. He was just waiting for
you to pick him up and bring him to the home that was being prepared for
him. Thanks for following the plan! ;-)

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old June 2nd 05, 06:32 PM
Hopitus

Hee hee...well, I *could* tell you I have no sympathy for
your badass new cat biting you all....but no...I have a biter boy too; he's
mellowed much since '95 when I took in his blind butt and so will yours;
firm "NO's" will, over time, help. I don't care how old you are (which
strangely became a topic of interest here) you are a Rad Dude for saving
this gnarly beast from grim fate. Think of his end-to-end 72-hour-good
physical as his (very short) power train warranty; another positive factor:
he runs on *cat food* instead of either diesel or gas fuel! Again, I salute
your kindness for bailing him out of the "last stop".

news