Cat Psychology

Old February 9th 10, 08:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Cat Psychology

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:33:54 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:38:52 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:
Sure cats are hurt whenever they purr and you don't love them back.
Anyone that doesn't know cats can love don't know what love is
to begin with.

Sentimental twaddle.

Wouldn't a proper forum on cats be all about sentiments?

Not "all" about, but sentiment is certainly a large part. It's not
the sentiment I object to, but the twaddle.

Don't get me wrong -- I love cats in general and mine in
particular. But I have no illusion that he has similar feelings
for me.

Then I guess you never had your tomcat bring you a bird or lizard
it killed especially for you.

A mouse, actually, but what has that to do with love?

Well, I don't know whether it's love or not, but if you could see the way my
cats act when my wife goes down to California for a week or so to visit her
grandkids, you would know that there is something they feel for her. It
isn't just food, because I feed them just as well as she does. And it isn't
just the brushing, because I brush them just as much as she does.....So what
is it about her that they like so much? When she is gone, they treat me like
it's my fault she went away, and they shine up to me so that I will bring
her back.....And, it works.....After a while she comes back! And they are
very happy.....You can almost see them high fiveing each other, and saying,
"We were successful again..... dad brought her back."

Old February 9th 10, 08:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

See, when you live with cats long enough, you learn their language.
It is more the way they treat you than language, but language nonetheless.

Old February 9th 10, 08:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

netamerica...

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I have one that responds to a dog whistle......I can go out on the
front porch and blow the whistle three times, and in about 5 minutes, he
comes running down the block......Sure, I give him a goodie.....Usually a
bowl of milk.....But he did this from the get go, without any training on my
part. I have had many cats, but this is the only one that comes when I call
him like a dog would......

Old February 9th 10, 09:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Then not only do you know your cats language, but one of your cats
knows your language, in this case, a shrill noise silent to the human ear.

Old February 9th 10, 10:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Yes....Well, to be fair, it started when he was young and very happy with
me, because I took him out of a Burger King parking lot, and brought him
home and fed him some real cat chow. At that time, he came running no matter
what noise I made, just because he was so happy to be around. Then he
shortly learned to associate the dog whistle with me and some goodie or
other, so now he probably just comes for the goodie.....The parking lot is
around five years ago, so I doubt if he remembers it any more.

Old February 9th 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
T[_4_]

[This followup was posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav and a copy was
sent to the cited author.]

In article , weg9
@comcast.net says...

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed, some cats are pretty smart. My first cat played fetch. I'd throw
a busy ball and he'd run, pick it up with his mouth and bring it back to
me so I could throw it again.

Old February 9th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (2/8/2010 4:01 PM):
"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:38:52 -0600 from Mark Earnest
:
Sure cats are hurt whenever they purr and you don't love them back.
Anyone that doesn't know cats can love don't know what love is
to begin with.
Sentimental twaddle.
Wouldn't a proper forum on cats be all about sentiments?

Not "all" about, but sentiment is certainly a large part. It's not
the sentiment I object to, but the twaddle.

Don't get me wrong -- I love cats in general and mine in
particular. But I have no illusion that he has similar feelings
for me.
Then I guess you never had your tomcat bring you a bird or lizard
it killed especially for you.

A mouse, actually, but what has that to do with love?

I am not sure you should have cats, Stan. A short while ago I had a migraine
and the accompanying terribly retching. You would think my old cat would run
for the hills. Instead, she hovered, stayed close to me, tried to sleep
right up against me until she read my signals and saw that I really needed
to be left alone. It was unusual behavior for her. Every time I opened the
bathroom door she was there looking worried, and she followed me back to
bed, jumped up, and meowed questioningly. This is not anthropomorphism. It
was not feeding time. She was worried about me. They most certainly do love.
And presenting prey is indeed done in part to show their esteem.

I've heard a couple of theories on the mouse-gift behavior:

1. It's a present
2. They're showing off - look at me the mighty hunter!
3. They are trying to help - you go out all the time and never bring
back any food (cats likely don't understand groceries, per this theory),
so they think you're a terrible hunter and are trying to help.

#3 sounds real cute except they do see us eat

Knowing cats, I'm going with a combination of #1 and #2

As far as the worried behavior when you're sick - Yes, Meep does that
too. It's very comforting when I feel like crap, to have her curl up
near me and purr.

jmc
Old February 9th 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
[...]

or 4. "I've rid the Earth of another vile creature, to pay you back
for feeding me."

Old February 10th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"T" wrote
Well, I have one that responds to a dog whistle......I can go out on the
front porch and blow the whistle three times, and in about 5 minutes, he
comes running down the block......Sure, I give him a goodie.....Usually a
bowl of milk.....But he did this from the get go, without any training on
my
part. I have had many cats, but this is the only one that comes when I
call
him like a dog would......

How many of your cats have been hit by cars?

Old February 10th 10, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"cybercat" wrote in message

"T" wrote
Well, I have one that responds to a dog whistle......I can go out on the
front porch and blow the whistle three times, and in about 5 minutes, he
comes running down the block......Sure, I give him a goodie.....Usually
bowl of milk.....But he did this from the get go, without any training
on my
part. I have had many cats, but this is the only one that comes when I
call
him like a dog would......

How many of your cats have been hit by cars?

I've never had a cat that died via automobile, but I had one that had a limp
and a lump when we got her.....She came with the house. I don't know how she
got the limp and lump, but I speculate that it could well have been because
of a run-in with a car.
In any case I don't want to have another session about inside/outside
cat arguments.....It's ground that has been gone over many times before. All
of my cats were outside cats when I got them, and have remained so after I
got them. If I lived in downtown New York City, this wouldn't be the case,
but I don't. You don't know where I live, and so you can't give me any
advice on this issue.....'nough said.....