Halogen ovens (OT)

Old November 29th 12, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Halogen ovens (OT)

Hi

I gather these are more common in the US so I wondered if anyone here
used one and what they were like? I'm considering getting one to
replace our old oven, which is really too big for 2 people and costs a
small fortune to warm up also Dave can't bend down nowadays to take
things out so it is hardly ever used

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 29th 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
Hi

I gather these are more common in the US so I wondered if anyone here
used one and what they were like? I'm considering getting one to
replace our old oven, which is really too big for 2 people and costs a
small fortune to warm up also Dave can't bend down nowadays to take
things out so it is hardly ever used

My friend June has one, a small tabletop thing. She likes it.
I don't think it would suit me as you can only just fit a chicken in on top
of vegetables and that's it. Full.
What about the Yorkshire puddings??
If you don't like to cook (in the true sense) as she doesn't, it might be
OK. I do, and it wouldn't be any good for me.

Tweed

Old November 29th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
Hi

I gather these are more common in the US so I wondered if anyone here
used one and what they were like? I'm considering getting one to
replace our old oven, which is really too big for 2 people and costs a
small fortune to warm up also Dave can't bend down nowadays to take
things out so it is hardly ever used

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

never like one but it has been years since I used one
I use a toaster oven instead my George foreman grill and hotplate more
since it is just me that I cook for now

mom eats that crap microwave dinners I eat a heck of a lot healthier than
she does

Old December 1st 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/29/2012 6:37 AM, Lesley wrote:
Hi

I gather these are more common in the US so I wondered if anyone here
used one and what they were like? I'm considering getting one to
replace our old oven, which is really too big for 2 people and costs a
small fortune to warm up also Dave can't bend down nowadays to take
things out so it is hardly ever used

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I don't know if they are common in the US. If you're describing what I
think you're describing I've never known anyone who has one. They seem
to be table-top devices for baking. They seem to me to be more of a
gimmick than anything. But again, I've never used one.

Jill
Old December 2nd 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I gather these are more common in the US so I wondered if anyone here
used one and what they were like? I'm considering getting one to
replace our old oven, which is really too big for 2 people and costs a
small fortune to warm up also Dave can't bend down nowadays to take
things out so it is hardly ever used

I think I've seen those in John Lewis. They look very flimsy and
impossible to clean.

Our oven broke years ago; we haven't replaced it and don't have
a microwave. We do a lot of cooking on the stovetop using heavy
cast iron pans.

Old December 6th 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
Hi

I gather these are more common in the US so I wondered if anyone here
used one and what they were like? I'm considering getting one to
replace our old oven, which is really too big for 2 people and costs a
small fortune to warm up also Dave can't bend down nowadays to take
things out so it is hardly ever used

Lesley

how can an oven be too big for two people? I do agree about the warming
up. Worst thing I ever did was to get an electric oven. I got rid of a
free standing gas one when I had a new kitchen. N was here at the time, she
called it Stove. "please don't get rid of Stove"
She was right. I wish I had Stove back again.
My new electric cooker has already failed.
Stove would never have let me down.
I will try and get my electric oven repaired but if not he will be ripped
out and a gas one in. I never liked him. He takes so long to warm up.
I was used to Stove who warmed up quickly with his gas flame. I should have
kept him but I was getting a new posh kitchen then. I regret letting him
go, but I daren't tell Nüle I have regrets. She told me to keep him. I
should have listened.
Stove would still have been cooking my food now but my new posh built in
oven is only half working. It's supposed to heat top and bottom, now only
the top is heating.
As I like to cook this is a nuisance.

Tweed

Old December 6th 12, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Worst thing I ever did was to get an electric oven. I got rid of a
free standing gas one when I had a new kitchen. N was here at the time, she
called it Stove. "please don't get rid of Stove"
She was right. I wish I had Stove back again.
My new electric cooker has already failed.
Stove would never have let me down.
I will try and get my electric oven repaired but if not he will be ripped
out and a gas one in. I never liked him. He takes so long to warm up.
I was used to Stove who warmed up quickly with his gas flame. I should have
kept him but I was getting a new posh kitchen then. I regret letting him
go, but I daren't tell N?le I have regrets. She told me to keep him. I
should have listened.

Why wouldn't you tell her she was right? Is she one of those people who
would say "I told you so" and never let you forget it? I hope not!

Stove would still have been cooking my food now but my new posh built in
oven is only half working. It's supposed to heat top and bottom, now only
the top is heating.
As I like to cook this is a nuisance.

There is a gas stove and oven in my apartment. (In the US, "stove" means
"cooker".) I love it. It has a pilot light, so it doesn't depend on
electricity. So if there was a power failure, I could still have hot food.
I just wish the heat was also gas heat - that's electric.

--
Joyce

Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating -- Sarah McLaughlin
Old December 6th 12, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I have gas heating but it still needs electricity to drive the fan. So far
I've been lucky and not had a power failure when it has been cold.

--
Adrian
Old December 6th 12, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/5/2012 9:51 PM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Worst thing I ever did was to get an electric oven. I got rid of a
free standing gas one when I had a new kitchen. N was here at the time, she
called it Stove. "please don't get rid of Stove"
She was right. I wish I had Stove back again.

(snippage)
My new electric cooker has already failed.
Stove would still have been cooking my food now but my new posh built in
oven is only half working. It's supposed to heat top and bottom, now only
the top is heating.
As I like to cook this is a nuisance.

There is a gas stove and oven in my apartment. (In the US, "stove" means
"cooker".) I love it. It has a pilot light, so it doesn't depend on
electricity. So if there was a power failure, I could still have hot food.
I just wish the heat was also gas heat - that's electric.

I've ever only had one gas stove (cooker). That was in an apartment I
lived in when I was hmmm, 23? I loved it! Any subsequent apartment
I've lived in, it was always electric. You get used to it when it's
pretty much all you've lived with. I can't have a gas stove in this
house; no gas lines.

Jill
Old December 7th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I am a belt and braces person. I have my woodburner and also a calor gas
heater. I also have a gas hob and electric oven -which is about to either
be repaired or thrown out.
I can always cook a meal on my gas hob and won't die of cold with my
woodburner or calor gas. If the electricity went out my s i l would be in a
serious situation.
Her central heating would fail. She wouldn't be able to cook - all
electric.
Never rely on one power source.