Spider sense with Otis

Old March 28th 05, 05:31 PM
Susan M

Default Spider sense with Otis

Hi the

I'm worried that Otis is not feeling well.

He's been doing this lip smacking thing for a couple of months that makes it
look like he's nauseated. He had a huge hairball (Chester's, if you recall
since Otis doesn't have a lot of fur) a couple of weeks ago but he's still
lip smacking. One time he did that, he had some mouse hair or something
wrapped around his tooth partly down his throat. I pulled it off his tooth
for him then but I don't see anything there now. He's a little subdued too.

He went to have a pee at 5:30 AM. He tapped me on the neck because he
wanted me to follow him. I went down to watch to make sure that peeing was
going ok and he did a golf ball sized pee, had a snack, and came back to
bed. He was purring again in bed - hadn't done much purring all night. At
9:15 AM he went to pee again. It looked golf ball sized again and he
squirted this time in spurts, like he often does. It looks like he's
spraying as he lifts his butt.

Anybody make something of the lip smacking? My spider sense is tingling and
its more that he's moping around a bit more than usual. between that and
the door slamming incident, I think I'll book an appointment for what
appears to be an otherwise healthy cat.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 28th 05, 07:31 PM
Susan M

"Karen" wrote in message
WEll, does sound like he might be nauseated or else he may have a tooth
problem.

Thanks Karen - I didn't think of teeth right off! I've also read that it
could be a diabetic thing too. I phoned TED and they said to wait a day (I
think they're busy today and they perceive this as non-urgent) but I think
that I can tell that something's off.

Right now, its a nice warm day so he's out sunning himself somewhere and
isn't eager to come home when I call him. He's usually very good about it.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 28th 05, 08:30 PM
Hopitus

Just now read re the lip-smacking of Otis....I think going
to visit TED is a good idea due to Otis' hairball history;
TED can see much farther down his throat than you can
w/instruments/scopes.
Rowdy has short fur and doesn't lick Maluce so he never
has any hairballs, ever. OTOH Ms. Maluce regularly
makes gross barfing noises and a slimy long hairball then
emerges.
TED can also see if Otis has any gum problems....

Old March 28th 05, 08:41 PM
Christopher Havlicek

Susan M wrote:
Hi the

I'm worried that Otis is not feeling well.

He's been doing this lip smacking thing for a couple of months that makes it
look like he's nauseated.
Snipped for server

Anybody make something of the lip smacking? My spider sense is tingling and
its more that he's moping around a bit more than usual. between that and
the door slamming incident, I think I'll book an appointment for what
appears to be an otherwise healthy cat.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Hi Susan -

Tripper *and* his brother (who lives with a friend of mine) will make
that lip smacking noise when they're about to eject a strategic
hairball or two.

Tripper also made that noise when he had a blade of grass stuck in
his throat, and needed it to come out. Thank goodness for plastic
tweezers.....

He also gets "mopey" when he's working on a hairball. I give all of
mine hairball "medicine", but sometimes it just doesn't do the trick
in time.

Here's hoping that the problem is that obvious... Just watch where
you step, especially if the lip smacking stops....

Purrs-

Chris, Tripper, Katie, and Hazard

Old March 28th 05, 09:11 PM
polonca12000

Sorry I didn't get the original. Maybe you can phone your vet and ask about
the lip smacking, Susan?
Best wishes and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old March 29th 05, 05:44 AM
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
the door slamming incident, I think I'll book an appointment for what
appears to be an otherwise healthy cat.

I'd also take him in for a full checkup, just in case.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 29th 05, 05:56 AM
Susan M

thanks Victor. He's booked at 5 PM with the different TED - the one who
only works one day a week and who saw him when he was walking when Otis was
missing two years ago. He was in the AM that I dropped off the "Otis is
missing" flyer and he studied it very carefully. enough to recognize Otis
when he saw him - he kicked off the chain of miracles that led to his being
found ... the first time

After all this time, he's never met Otis, even though he drinks out of a
coffee mug I gave him in thanks. It has this picture on it where you put
your mouth: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...9306lwgXGKMiqM

He's very good and very thorough - he's the one who patched up Chester after
the brown tabby incident.

I'll let you know how it goes - something strikes me as off about my buddy.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
the door slamming incident, I think I'll book an appointment for what
appears to be an otherwise healthy cat.

I'd also take him in for a full checkup, just in case.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Otis had Chester's hairball Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 March 15th 05 06:38 PM
Otis - how being lost has changed him Susan M Cat anecdotes 90 October 16th 04 11:26 PM
OTIS: Another miracle Susan M Cat anecdotes 114 September 14th 04 06:47 PM
Otis EMERGENCY Susan M Cat anecdotes 92 September 3rd 04 09:44 PM
Otis and Chester: Where are they now? (LONG) Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 03 03:29 PM