The Cruising Cats Need Some Purrs Please

Old July 21st 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Default The Cruising Cats Need Some Purrs Please

Tanada wrote:

Annie, Jim, and the Cruising cats are stuck at South Myrtle Beach, South
Carolina, while the GENESIS is being worked on. The generator is down
and is giving them fits. As you know, the generator is what keeps the
electrical parts of the ship, including AC, going while the ship is on
the move. Like good catslaves, Annie and Jim don't want to risk the
owners getting over heated in this heat wave we're having.

Worse, the dock people had the Genesis moved over to a different spot
for long term parking and this big yacht blocks the internet signal.
Annie is going through RPCA withdrawal.

Purrs for successful generator repairs would be really appreciated, as
would purrs for Annie to get back her beloved RPCA.

Pam S. who hopes she got the information correct.

Lots and lots of generator repair purrs and best wishes - and thanks for
letting us know, Pam,
Polonca and Soncek

Old July 21st 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

Default UPDATE: The Cruising Cats Need Some Purrs Please

At least temporarily, the generator is working again. The Genesis is
spending the weekend in South Myrtle Beach and then heading up to
Wilmington North Carolina to meet with some military friends. Rob and I
will be driving over there (insanity around here willing) to spend the
night and get a good chance to meet the cast and crew of the ship. I
hope to be able to show them some of the area.

I found out that since the Genesis travels about 7 mph, they usually
travel about 50 miles a day. Talk about taking life slow and easy. :-D
I, for some reason, didn't think about the inter coastal waterway
traveling up the east coast, and assumed that they'd be taking to the
ocean. I was totally wrong. I'm hoping that we can post a great "we
met" story and that we get visited by cats while sleeping on the boat.

Pam S.
Old July 22nd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"Tanada" wrote in message
nk.net...
.... The Genesis is spending the weekend in South Myrtle Beach and then
heading up to Wilmington North Carolina to meet with some military friends.
Rob and I will be driving over there (insanity around here willing) to spend
the night and get a good chance to meet the cast and crew of the ship.
....I'm hoping that we can post a great "we
met" story and that we get visited by cats while sleeping on the boat.

Pam S.

Thanks, Pam for posting this update. I haven't had the chance to do one
myself.

Yes, once again the power of purr has (apparently) convinced the boat
gremlins that enough is enough. The generator has been working fine. After
a lot of sleuthing and tinkering, Jim finally found that the fuel hose,
which appears fine on the outside, had deteriorated on the inside and was
partially blocking the fuel delivery.

This will allow us to travel with air conditioning.

Just to be clear, we have air conditioning while at the marina because we
are plugged into a connection at the dock. That way, we could continue to
stay on the boat while Jim worked on the generator. But we need the
generator to provide electricity when we are under way.

The cats know that when Jim opens the hatch in the floor to get to the
generator or engine, they are not to go down there. They have been very
good at finding places to hang out or alternate routes to move from one end
of the boat to the other to avoid the gaping hole in the floor.

The air conditioning was essential here, because the outside air got to 105
Fahrenheit. We had it at 80 inside, so we also had a flat cat syndrome.
Cinder sprawls on top of the ice chest and Rosie likes to be in front of an
air vent.

As long as the food appears on time, they seem to be totally satisfied with
boat life.

Annie, looking forward to seeing Pam and Rob

Old July 22nd 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

badwilson wrote:

But they are not on the ocean, they are inland on the waterway.
Anyway, glad to hear the good news about the generator and have a great
visit with Pam and Rob :-)

Duh, guess I'm going to have to work on my reading skills.

Joyce
Old July 22nd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Fri 21 Jul 2006 07:16:44p, Annie Wxill wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

snip
The air conditioning was essential here, because the outside air
got to 105 Fahrenheit. We had it at 80 inside, so we also had a
flat cat syndrome. Cinder sprawls on top of the ice chest and
Rosie likes to be in front of an air vent.

Glad you guys got that fixed. Yeesh, that's hot! We've been in the
90s here in MD, so I can just imagine SC/NC right now with the
humidity. My only experience with that part of the country is the few
times I've been on vacation in Myrtle Beach SC, and even in the early
morning it is sweltering hot. I remember trying to take pictures of
the sunrise over the ocean and the camera lens fogged up, even if the
inside temp where the camera was minutes before wasn't as cold as a
refrigerator.

Purrs and waves for the captains and their crew.

--
Cheryl
Old July 22nd 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Tanada wrote:
At least temporarily, the generator is working again. The Genesis is
spending the weekend in South Myrtle Beach and then heading up to
Wilmington North Carolina to meet with some military friends. Rob and I
will be driving over there (insanity around here willing) to spend the
night and get a good chance to meet the cast and crew of the ship. I
hope to be able to show them some of the area.

I found out that since the Genesis travels about 7 mph, they usually
travel about 50 miles a day. Talk about taking life slow and easy. :-D
I, for some reason, didn't think about the inter coastal waterway
traveling up the east coast, and assumed that they'd be taking to the
ocean. I was totally wrong. I'm hoping that we can post a great "we
met" story and that we get visited by cats while sleeping on the boat.

Pam S.

Have a great time!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old July 22nd 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

wrote in message
Annie Wxill wrote:
Wow, is it so hot where you are that you need air conditioning even while
you're out on the ocean? I would expect the wind to be blowing and the
ocean breezes to be reasonably cool. But if not, then it must be extremely
hot in that area.
Joyce

Hi Joyce,
We have had one offshore segment of our journey. That was an overnight
crossing of the Gulf of Mexico from the panhandle of Florida to about the
middle western coast of the part of Florida that is the majority of the
state.

Our second offshore crossing will be off the shore of New Jersey. We prefer
to stay on the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW).

Offshore is more suited to sailboats or faster boats than ours. For our
tastes, it is way too much water and no place to drop an anchor or tie up if
we get tired or bad weather approaches.

However, we do have some large sounds, wide rivers, and lakes to cross
during our trip. Those larger bodies of water can get nasty if the wind or
current kicks up. We try to time our crossing carefully for the most
comfortable ride possible. In an average day, we cover from 30 to 50 miles.

About the air conditioning, yes, it is cooler when under way. Moving into
the wind makes a breeze. Moving the same direction as the wind makes it
calm, therefore hotter.

If just Jim and I were on board, we would leave the air conditioner off most
of the time. But, we keep Rosie and Cinder in the cabin when we are moving
or at a marina. Even with the windows open (we have screens), it hot during
a heat wave such as this one.

Imagine driving a car at 7 miles per hour or parked with the window open.
You could see how it still would be hot inside the car. We must keep the
captains comfortable.

When our generator acted up, we went from an anchorage to a marina. Here,
we can connect to shore power to keep the air conditioner running and are
able to order parts delivered by mail or get to a store to buy them. We
also had our regular mail forwarded, got laundry done, bought groceries, and
have been busy waxing the boat early in the morning before the sun got too
high and hot.

We are looking forward to pushing off the dock and going up the ICW to a
marina where we can meet up with Pam and Rob.

Thank you for your interest in our trip.

Annie, crew for Cinder and Rosie

Old July 22nd 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-21, Tanada penned:
At least temporarily, the generator is working again. The Genesis
is spending the weekend in South Myrtle Beach and then heading up to
Wilmington North Carolina to meet with some military friends. Rob
and I will be driving over there (insanity around here willing) to
spend the night and get a good chance to meet the cast and crew of
the ship. I hope to be able to show them some of the area.

I found out that since the Genesis travels about 7 mph, they usually
travel about 50 miles a day. Talk about taking life slow and easy.
:-D I, for some reason, didn't think about the inter coastal
waterway traveling up the east coast, and assumed that they'd be
taking to the ocean. I was totally wrong. I'm hoping that we can
post a great "we met" story and that we get visited by cats while
sleeping on the boat.

Nice! My parents live in Cape Carteret, NC, pretty close to
Wilmington. Annie and co can wave at them when they drive under the
arcing bridge to Emerald Isle =P

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 22nd 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

My parents live in Cape Carteret, NC, pretty close to
Wilmington. Annie and co can wave at them when they drive under the
arcing bridge to Emerald Isle =P
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Hi Monique,

We'll look for it on our charts. Which way should we wave, the east bank or
the west bank?
We will be going north. I'm talking general directions here, realizing that
the waterway has a lot of twists and turns and may not lie exactly north and
south at that point.

Annie