How hot was it?

Old July 18th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default How hot was it?

It was so hot last night, that ALL NINE CATS willingly followed me
into the only air-conditioned room, promptly flopped down on the bed
and floor and napped. And so did I.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old July 18th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

wrote:

Sounds like a plan for today, too. Yesterday was 109 here and the low
temp at 10 p.m. was six degrees above what it was the night before. The
weatherman theorized that today's temp, for that reason, would be
several degrees higher.
It doesn't matter anymore to me. I don't see how you could even tell
the difference between 109 and 115.
But gosh, I hate it so bad for the elderly and fixed income folks
because electric rates are so high this year. There was a woman who
died in her home from heat. She had a working A/C. She just didn't
think she could afford the bill. That is tragic.

Sherry

Even though I have AC at home, I only use it sparingly. Ways I found
to stay cool is to
go to an AC public place like the mall, public library. or even ride
on an AC bus. There
are leather couches in some malls. I can spend the whole day there, and
eat at the
fast food court. Of course if you actually buy stuff at the mall, you
may end up spending more money than staying home with the AC turned on.
I live in a highrise with AC hallway and lobby. So I can always take a
book and go downstairs to read in the lobby. When it is too hot (or
too cold in the winter) to go walking, I do my hall walks and up and
down the stairs.

Winnie

Old July 18th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Sounds like a plan for today, too. Yesterday was 109 here and the low
temp at 10 p.m. was six degrees above what it was the night before. The
weatherman theorized that today's temp, for that reason, would be
several degrees higher.

I suddenly feel grateful to live in Halifax. This past week has been
the first time all year that I can wear a tank top without freezing to
death. Even at that, I have to carry a shirt around to wear over it
because it gets cold at night or on the water.

I feel bad about FINALLY getting summer and being happy while the rest
of the continent boils alive.

--Fil
(but we have hurricanes)

Old July 18th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

wrote:
It was so hot last night, that ALL NINE CATS willingly followed me
into the only air-conditioned room, promptly flopped down on the bed
and floor and napped. And so did I.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)

Serious Flat Cat Syndrome has broken out where I am, too. I gave up
and just had a nap on my bed in the air path of my bedroom fan. Nina
and Francesca flopped down on the floor and haven't been doing much.

Melissa

Old July 18th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-18, Enfilade penned:

I feel bad about FINALLY getting summer and being happy while the
rest of the continent boils alive.

No feeling guilty. It won't change the weather. Might as well enjoy
it while you have it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 18th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
:-\)Liz

newsKcvg.30791$8q.16440@dukeread08...

It is apparently even hotter there than in east Texas, despite the fact
you are farther north -- it is 104 here right now. I do keep things cool,
though. My office at the University is maintained at about 73 and I stay
close to that at home. My evening walks have come to a close, though,
until things cool down a bit. Oh, yes, the humidity is also high --
ironic, because we really need rain.

MaryL
73* inside.....LUXURY!!!!!!!! We have to keep our home at 80*... even set
at 80* we used 1155kWH this past billing period which translates to a
cost of 15.65 cents per kWH... needless to say, the kitties and us slaves
stay close to the fan and we keep plenty of cold water and ice around
,asell as stay in the darkest curtained room and lay around like ragdolls!
:-) Liz

Old July 19th 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
oups.com...

snip It doesn't matter anymore to me. I don't see how you could even tell
the difference between 109 and 115.
But gosh, I hate it so bad for the elderly and fixed income folks
because electric rates are so high this year. There was a woman who
died in her home from heat. She had a working A/C. She just didn't
think she could afford the bill. That is tragic.

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I decided to come back in an piggyback on this part of your message. The
level of heat here is not only uncomfortable, it is *dangerously* high (just
as you noted). I donate several fans every year. Fans do not serve the
same function as air conditioners, but they can be a life saver for those
who do not have the resources for A/C. If any of you have some fans that
you never use, this would be a good time to do some "decluttering" and at
the same time help other people. I did that several years ago, and the
following year I started to buy a few and just donate them.

One thing I learned for my *own* comfort during Hurricane Rita is that the
battery-powered fans helped tremendously. I was without power for 7 days,
so I was really grateful to have those fans. I now keep several of them on
hand (with a *big* supply of batteries for fans, flashlights, etc.) to use
in the event of an emergency.

MaryL