How hot was it?

Old July 19th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default How hot was it?

MaryL wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

snip It doesn't matter anymore to me. I don't see how you could
even tell
the difference between 109 and 115.
But gosh, I hate it so bad for the elderly and fixed income folks

I decided to come back in an piggyback on this part of your message.
The level of heat here is not only uncomfortable, it is *dangerously*
high (just as you noted). I donate several fans every year. Fans do
not serve the same function as air conditioners, but they can be a
life saver for those who do not have the resources for A/C.

True! And if they are box fans and the person has access to bags of ice,
setting a tray of ice in a plastic bin front of the blowing fan increases
the cooling factor immensely.

If any
of you have some fans that you never use, this would be a good time
to do some "decluttering" and at the same time help other people. I
did that several years ago, and the following year I started to buy a
few and just donate them.

I've done the same, although I can't afford to buy extra fans this year.

One thing I learned for my *own* comfort during Hurricane Rita is
that the battery-powered fans helped tremendously. I was without
power for 7 days, so I was really grateful to have those fans. I now
keep several of them on hand (with a *big* supply of batteries for
fans, flashlights, etc.) to use in the event of an emergency.

Yep, and store your batteries in the fridge! Makes them last longer.

Jill

Old July 19th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

MaryL wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

snip It doesn't matter anymore to me. I don't see how you could
even tell
the difference between 109 and 115.
But gosh, I hate it so bad for the elderly and fixed income folks
because electric rates are so high this year. There was a woman who
died in her home from heat. She had a working A/C. She just didn't
think she could afford the bill. That is tragic.

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I decided to come back in an piggyback on this part of your message.
The level of heat here is not only uncomfortable, it is *dangerously*
high (just as you noted). I donate several fans every year. Fans do
not serve the same function as air conditioners, but they can be a
life saver for those who do not have the resources for A/C. If any
of you have some fans that you never use, this would be a good time
to do some "decluttering" and at the same time help other people. I
did that several years ago, and the following year I started to buy a
few and just donate them.

One thing I learned for my *own* comfort during Hurricane Rita is
that the battery-powered fans helped tremendously. I was without
power for 7 days, so I was really grateful to have those fans. I now
keep several of them on hand (with a *big* supply of batteries for
fans, flashlights, etc.) to use in the event of an emergency.

MaryL

So know we're wondering what the etc. is. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old July 19th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Adrian A" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

....Not much to the "etc." -- a portable radio (seldom used) but also some
fairly large fluorescent lanterns, which sit upright light a lamp and
provide a lot more light than flashlights. They were really helpful when I
had to be without power for so long.

Old July 19th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Denise Clere

boy,i bet THAT was a picture !!!
wrote in message
It was so hot last night, that ALL NINE CATS willingly followed me
into the only air-conditioned room, promptly flopped down on the bed
and floor and napped. And so did I.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)

Old July 19th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Too many batteries to store them in the fridge -- I wouldn't have any room
left for food. I always kept what I thought was a "supply," but I learned
during Hurricane Rita that I needed *far* more. I had portable fans running
24 hours a day for 7 days plus more batteries for fluorescent "lamps." I
also used a portable CD player for many, many hours (to listen to books on
audio disk) because I couldn't see to do anything else. Luckily, I have
lots of audio CDs that my sister and I listen to when we travel, so I was
"all set" for that. Every store in town ran out of batteries of all size.
So, now I have a *large* quantity of batteries. I will rotate through them
(and continue to replace when a package is used) but realize some may
expire. However, they have dates several years in the future, so I'm not
worried about that.

MaryL

Old July 19th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Adrian A" wrote in message

So know we're wondering what the etc. is. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Oh, yes, in addition to the items I listed in my first reply, I also used a
portable CD player to listen to books on audio disk. I already had lots of
audio CDs because my sister and I listen to them when we travel. They were
*great* to have during the extended power outage because I couldn't see to
do anything else.

MaryL

Old July 19th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Micha

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:13:44 -0500 jmcquown wrote:

True! And if they are box fans and the person has access to bags of ice,
setting a tray of ice in a plastic bin front of the blowing fan increases
the cooling factor immensely.

But then instead of having to pay the A/C bill you end up with
exploding cost for operating the freezer or you make the local grocery
rich beyond belief... ;-)

Squarely Yours
Michael

--
Square Dance is friendship put to music
Andrea and Michael with furballs Blacky and Merlin
Old July 19th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Micha wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:13:44 -0500 jmcquown wrote:

True! And if they are box fans and the person has access to bags of
ice, setting a tray of ice in a plastic bin front of the blowing fan
increases the cooling factor immensely.

But then instead of having to pay the A/C bill you end up with
exploding cost for operating the freezer or you make the local grocery
rich beyond belief... ;-)

Squarely Yours
Michael

Bags of ice keep in an ice chest for quite a while and a big bag of ice
costs $1 around here. I hardly think that's making anyone "rich". Better
than dying of heatstroke, IMHO.

Jill

Old July 19th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:
Micha wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:13:44 -0500 jmcquown wrote:

True! And if they are box fans and the person has access to bags of
ice, setting a tray of ice in a plastic bin front of the blowing fan
increases the cooling factor immensely.

But then instead of having to pay the A/C bill you end up with
exploding cost for operating the freezer or you make the local grocery
rich beyond belief... ;-)

Squarely Yours
Michael

Bags of ice keep in an ice chest for quite a while and a big bag of ice
costs $1 around here. I hardly think that's making anyone "rich". Better
than dying of heatstroke, IMHO.

Jill

That's an interesting idea. At the shelter, the do put out pans of cold
water so that the big fans blow across them and the air seems a lot
cooler. How long does one bag of ice last in this heat though? Block
ice would probably last longer than bagged ice.

Sherry