How hot was it?

Old July 19th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Micha

Default How hot was it?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:45:44 -0500 jmcquown wrote:

Bags of ice keep in an ice chest for quite a while and a big bag of ice
costs $1 around here. I hardly think that's making anyone "rich". Better
than dying of heatstroke, IMHO.

Jill

Yes, of course I fully agree with that.

Squarely Yours
Michael

--
Square Dance is friendship put to music
Andrea and Michael with tomcat-cats Blacky and Merlin
Old July 19th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL wrote:

One thing I learned for my *own* comfort during Hurricane Rita is
that the battery-powered fans helped tremendously. I was without
power for 7 days, so I was really grateful to have those fans. I now
keep several of them on hand (with a *big* supply of batteries for
fans, flashlights, etc.) to use in the event of an emergency.

So know we're wondering what the etc. is. ;-)

I think we might have another Dave on our hands.

Joyce

Old July 19th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

newsUpvg.30825$8q.8227@dukeread08...

"Adrian A" wrote in message

So know we're wondering what the etc. is. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Oh, yes, in addition to the items I listed in my first reply, I also used
a portable CD player to listen to books on audio disk. I already had lots
of audio CDs because my sister and I listen to them when we travel. They
were *great* to have during the extended power outage because I couldn't
see to do anything else.

MaryL

My nieces neighborhood took up cards and board games big time after Rita.
They turned the whole thing into one very long extended block party.

Jo

Old July 19th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

One thing I learned for my *own* comfort during Hurricane Rita is
that the battery-powered fans helped tremendously. I was without
power for 7 days, so I was really grateful to have those fans. I now
keep several of them on hand (with a *big* supply of batteries for
fans, flashlights, etc.) to use in the event of an emergency.

So know we're wondering what the etc. is. ;-)

I think we might have another Dave on our hands.

Joyce

Meaning???

Dave - I mean, Adrian - want to explain?

Joyce
Old July 20th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David

"Micha" wrote in message
On 19 Jul 2006 07:14:20 -0700 wrote:

That's an interesting idea. At the shelter, the do put out pans of cold
water so that the big fans blow across them and the air seems a lot
cooler. How long does one bag of ice last in this heat though? Block
ice would probably last longer than bagged ice.

This is because transferring water from liquid state to vapor state
takes up a lot of thermal energy. I have read (don't remember where),
that in arabian countries they use huge(1) earthenware jugs, which let
water diffuse through their walls. On their large surface the hot air
can vaporize the water and so they provide a decent cooling device and
moisten the air, too.

Squarely Yours
Michael

(1) IIRC they must have been about almost a man's height and might
hold 100 gallons of water or more. Maybe you can get some smaller ones
which are more easily to handle. Do you know a potter you can ask?

Here in Arizona many of us use evaporative coolers--a fan drawing air
through a wet pad. They work incredibly well when humidity is low (below 15
percent), as it is for several months of our hot season. When the humidity
is REALLY low, an evaporative cooler can take air that is over 100 degrees
F. and cool our house to about 75 degrees. When the summer rains move in,
the air-conditioning comes on, though--significantly more expensive to
operate than the cooler.

What do the cats think? They still turn into inert blobs during the day....

David

Old July 20th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Micha wrote:
But then instead of having to pay the A/C bill you end up with
exploding cost for operating the freezer or you make the local grocery
rich beyond belief... ;-)

I agree with the principles behind your reasoning. The ice would have
needed to have been refrigerated in the first place in order to become
ice, so it's economically unlikely that using ice to cool a room would
have a lower incremental per-BTU monetary cost than running an AC
unit.

It's probably even more inefficient if you use your own refrigerator
to make the ice, since refrigerators actually heat the house. I've
actually used a USB enabled thermometer to record and plot temperature
changes in my house, and I've been surprised at how appliance activity
in one room can affect another room far away.

Old July 20th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Takayuki" wrote in message
Micha wrote:
But then instead of having to pay the A/C bill you end up with
exploding cost for operating the freezer or you make the local grocery
rich beyond belief... ;-)

I agree with the principles behind your reasoning. The ice would have
needed to have been refrigerated in the first place in order to become
ice, so it's economically unlikely that using ice to cool a room would
have a lower incremental per-BTU monetary cost than running an AC
unit.

It's probably even more inefficient if you use your own refrigerator
to make the ice, since refrigerators actually heat the house. I've
actually used a USB enabled thermometer to record and plot temperature
changes in my house, and I've been surprised at how appliance activity
in one room can affect another room far away.

Or as I try to tell Charlie nicely, in the summer "turn off the damn TV in
the bedroom if no one is going to be in there."

I'm also more careful not to leave the computer and printers on when its
really hot out.

Jo