Leaving a cat alone for 24 hours, first time

Old December 28th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
RPSinha

Default Leaving a cat alone for 24 hours, first time

As I have mentioned previously, I am caring for a cat who is about 1
year old. During the warmer days she was outdoors all day, but came
inside to sleep. Then she met her first Midwestern winter and didn't
know what hit her. But she has adjusted, sort of, goes out many times
each day and returns in 1/2 hr to 2 hrs depending on the weather and
her mood.

Now we are facing a sudden development I need your expert advice with.

We must leave her alone for something like 24-30 hours. I realize that
this is no big deal for many cats but this one is simply not used to
being locked in for so long. The maximum she has been locked in alone
is like 5-6 hours, so this will be a big jump.

We'll of course feed her just before leaving, leave some of her
favorite canned food for a little later and kibble for after that,
fresh water and fresh litter (I know this will be a torture for her,
she like to "go" outside unless the weather is truly dreadful).

Any other advice you can give from experience? Should we leave the
windows shades open or closed? I can't decide if looking outside will
be fun for her or torture?! What about lights: lot of lights on or just
a few?

TIA!

(The temperature on that day is predicted to have a *high* of 34, so
probably too cold for what *she* would want as we leave: to be left
outdoors! She often has those moments but always comes running back a
little later.)
Old December 28th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
[...]

I use cat doors....They are small rectangular openings that you put in doors
that have a leather or vinyl flap with a magnet at the bottom that kind of
holds them closed to keep the cold air out. but the cat or small dog can
push against them and they will open so it can go out. If you install them
as far away from the door handle/lock as possible than thieves won't be able
to reach the latch and get in, so they will be relatively safe. but they do
require you to saw a rectangle in your door in order to install
them.....They usually come with instructions and a template for doing
this.....They also have a panel which will block them so your cat (or any
other animal) won't be able to use them. They also make them in long
aluminum sections for installation in sliding glass doors that lead to
patios and the like....We have one of those, and two of the regular kind
that lead from the kitchen to the garage, and thru the garage door to the
outside so our cats can come and go day or night to either the front or the
back yard.

Old December 28th 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
RPSinha

William Graham wrote:

: I use cat doors....

I appreciate that as a long term solution, if she was my cat, but
this trip is a sudden family development and I can only strive to make
her as comfortable as possible for 24 hours and then face he ranger
when I return!
Old December 28th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, RPSinha exclaimed (12/28/2007 3:36 PM):
[...]

When we leave our cat alone for one or two days (no more!), we leave two
litterboxes (one in the tub, one her normal one), her day's supply of
wet food (she likes it a little old anyway, dunno why), and enough dry
to get her through one more day than I expect to be gone. Also make
sure she has twice as much water as I expect her to need. Minimal
lights, and as for the shades: If she wants to look out the windows she
will, whether the shades are open or closed (unless you have external
wood shutters!). Personally, I'd make it easy for her to look out.
It'll give her something to do.

Leave a couple of safe toys out for her to play with as well.

Make sure a neighbor or friend has the keys to your house, and knows the
cat is there, so in an emergency they can enter your house and rescue
the cat. Or take care of her if for whatever reason you cannot return
when you expect. Ideally, you should have someone look in on her
anyway, at least once every 24 hours.

If you don't think she'll behave well, you might consider keeping her in
a single room (one with a window she can look out of). Still give her
two litterboxes though, it'll reduce the chance of "accidents".

Jodi

Old December 28th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Cat Protector

Cats should be kept indoors all the time. By letting them roam outside they
can get hit by cars, encounter people who might harm and abuse them, become
a target for predators, and get in fights with other cats. All 3 of my cats
are indoor cats and I'm a lot happier knowing they're safe.

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 28th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Roemax

your plan is fine
lights are good ,maybe turn on the radio for some "humane company"
cat safe the house...do a google search for that term
cat will do just fine
she will be glad to see you when you return

Old December 28th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
[...]

You may be happier, but are your cats happier? - This is an old argument,
and I have come to the conclusion that what you do has to be tailored to the
circumstances.....If you live in an apartment in the city, and you get a cat
as a kitten, then sure.....You should keep an "indoor cat". but if you live
out in the sticks, and you get cats (as I do) that are strays, feral, or
were already outside cats, then you should keep them as they were, or as
they are accustomed to living, which is outdoors.

Old December 28th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Baldoni[_5_]

RPSinha submitted this idea :
[...]

I got myself another cat to keep the first cat I had company. I now
have 3 cats.

--
Count Baldoni