How do you get a cat off a power pole?

Old January 10th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default How do you get a cat off a power pole?

"Lesley" wrote in message

A friend who does feral rescue swears by a tin of sardines to attract
a cats interest

Well, yes, it does because they are usually hungry. I tried to catch Boyfie
in my borrowed cat trap with these when he was still too scared to enter the
house. He was clever enough to put his paw over the treadle which would
have caused the door to come down, and scoop the sardines up.
He must have known I intended he would go to the cat shelter if I'd caught
him then. I so did not want another cat.

Old January 10th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Candace" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 3:29 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Jan 10, 1:13 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Candace" wrote in message

In the UK we would call out the fire service for this, and they would
rescue
the cat. Can you do this in the USA?

Tweed- Hide quoted text -

Each fire department in each individual city has its own policies. It
would just depend on what those
policies are. In a small town like this one, they'd do it because
they're just nice guys and there's
no city ordinance that would prevent them from doing so. It sounds
like in Candance's case, the
complication was that it was an electric pole.

I don't think that fact would make much difference here. I am fairly
certain the cat would be rescued no matter how dangerous and difficult
here.
Brits are famously fond of animals and our emergency services will go to
all
lengths to save them.
If Boyfie was up a tree for 24 hours they would not come. If he was up
there after 48 hours they would put a ladder up and get him down.

Tweed

When I was 10, a long time ago, we had just moved to a 2 story house
in Indianapolis, IN, and our cat (everyone's cats were pretty much
indoor/outdoor back then) somehow climbed this really high chimney.
She couldn't have just jumped to it from the roof. It was all brick,
of course, so we have no idea how she climbed the bricks. The Fire
Dept. came right away and got her down--put their ladders all the way
up and a guy in a plastic raincoat climbed up and got her while we
watched terrified from below. It's a good thing he had the plastic
coat on, if you know what I mean. She never went up the chimney again
although she still loved going on the roof and scratching at these
dormer windows in my parents' bedroom to get in around 2am.

I imagine if the cat had been stuck in really high tree or on top of a
building that the Humane Society would have come but I don't think the
Fire Dept. does that here--unless, maybe, the Humane Society asks
them. Everything seems to have to go through the proper channels here
and a lot of red tape.

If your horse has got itself stuck in a ditch you can call out the Fire
Brigade here and they will hoist it out somehow. They will dig out a
terrier which has stuck itself down a hole for days.
They are brilliant.

Tweed

Old January 10th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
"Candace" wrote in message

[...]

It really can become a problem. Just how far do you go in putting a
person at risk for an animal. Especially if the animal is likely a
stray and likely to be put down for want of a home after it is
rescued.

Then you get the whole liability of who pays the bills if a
firefighter is injured. And who else might be hurt or lose their
property if he can't do his job.

I think I liked the world better when firemen rescued kittens as a
matter of course.

Jo

Old January 11th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jan 9, 8:38*pm, Candace wrote:

There is an old Irish expression:

No cat ever starved in a tree.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old January 11th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
"Candace" wrote in message

[...]

We don't seem to worry about that here. Firefighters will also come out
happily to dig out a terrier that has got itself stuck down a hole after a
rabbit and can't get out.

I think I liked the world better when firemen rescued kittens as a matter
of course.

They still do here. Horses or cows stuck in ditches, pigs fallen down a
well, cats stuck up trees, they will always come. No hesitation.

Tweed

Old January 11th 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
honeybunch

On Jan 10, 7:28*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 9, 8:38*pm, Candace wrote:

There is an old Irish expression:

No cat ever starved in a tree.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

"No cat ever starved to death in a tree" is a pretty interesting
expression. I wonder how else it can be applied.
Old January 12th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Then you get the whole liability of who pays the bills if a
firefighter is injured. And who else might be hurt or lose their
property if he can't do his job.

We don't seem to worry about that here. Firefighters will also come
out happily to dig out a terrier that has got itself stuck down a hole
after a rabbit and can't get out.

I think I liked the world better when firemen rescued kittens as a
matter of course.

They still do here. Horses or cows stuck in ditches, pigs fallen down
a well, cats stuck up trees, they will always come. No hesitation.

Firemen take that job because they're service-oriented people who wanted to
be firemen all their lives. They don't tend to take the job because they
like sitting around the station playing cards. Any excuse to take the truck
out is a good one, and if they can make someone's life better from it, all
the better. Only the bean-counters worried about lawsuits are gonna keep
them away from the "fun".
Old January 12th 09, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

You are right. There is not a fire every day or a bad traffic accident
where they have to cut people out of their vehicles so why not go out to an
animal in trouble? They seem to like doing it.

Tweed