Extremely scary cat missing for 10 days - what can I do?

Old October 31st 03, 04:33 AM
Ton Muller

Default Extremely scary cat missing for 10 days - what can I do?

For about a year we have/had a, declawed, about 7 years old spayed
female cat, Maisie, which we had obtained at a pet adopting weekend at
a pet shop in South St. Paul. Maisie is extremely scared of strangers,
dogs, etc. When relatives come to visit, she hides under the blanket
on the bed. By the way, we live now in the center of St. Paul, MN. We
let Maisie go out in the garden, at first with a lot of supervision,
later with less. On her own she does/did not leave the garden. The
last few weeks we gave her less food, she had to go on a diet because
she had become too fat.
About two month ago my sister in law brought in a female kitten, about
7 months old, not declawed, which we called Lizl. After a month in
quarantine we brought her in the house as well, in order to give
Maisie some company.
They did not get along well, though. Maisie did not like to play, and
Lizl became more aggressive, smashing Maisie with her paws. For
instance, she jumped on Maisie from a chair while putting her claws in
her. So we were forced to put Lizl on a leash inside the house for
most of the time. On Sunday the 19th we did not Maisie for quite a
while, she seemed to be in hiding in the house, we thought hiding from
Maisie.
On Monday the 20th of October I let Maisie out in the morning; I let
her enter the house again, but must have let her out again, I cannot
remember. Anyway, when I got home from work, Maisie could not be
found. At first I thought she was in hiding again. But now we have to
assume that she remained outside, and has gone into the neighborhood.
It was a very windy day, and in fact a big tree fell in the garden
that day. No, we did not find her under the three.
The question is: how do we get her back? She has name tages on,
including phone number and home address, but she is extremely wary of
strangers, and fortunately, cars. I fear she will not let herself be
touched by strangers.
We live in the center of town. There are other stray cats in out
gardens.
We brought Lisl to my mother in law; her cats are not so easily
intimidated, and keep her in check.
We have walked around the neighborhood, looking for Maisie, but did
not see her.
I put posters on telephone poles in the neighborhood with a picture of
Maisie, I sent E-mails to a neighborhood group.
I borrowed a cage, and caught indeed another, white stray cat that I
released again. (I also caught a squirrel - never heard a squirrel
make sound before!).
The last few days no one has eaten the food that we put outside,
however.
I went to the Humane Society, and the Animal Control center.
I put her litter box in the porch, in the hope that the smell would
attract her back.
Like so many pets, she has become a member of the family, and because
of her vulnerability we worry a lot about her. Snow has been
predicted.
Has anyone an idea how to get her back?

Ton Muller
Old October 31st 03, 04:26 PM
smithandwest

"Ton Muller" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Not trying to discourage you, but most of the declawed cats that are
reported missing for more than a couple of days are not found alive. Their
natural defenses (their claws) are gone and even climbing a tree to run from
a dog is not possible. It's not your fault that she was declawed (assuming
she was declawed when you got her) and it may be too late now, but it's not
a good idea to let declawed cats outside on their own, ever. In addition,
when we have a declawed cat for adoption, they typically must go to homes
where they will be an only pet, because they feel defenseless and almost
always do not get along with other animals including other cats.

It's hard to say what has happened to Maisie, but the combo of being on a
diet and possibly went hunting around for her own food, being declawed, and
feeling threatened by a newcomer, isn't a good sign. Best case, I would
hope that someone saw her and took her in, and for some reason doesn't know
you're looking for her. I didn't see mention of a Lost ad in the paper -
make sure you do that, and of course check the Found ads. Most papers offer
Found ads for free so that it's easy for someone who has found an animal to
report it. Good luck with your search and Maisie will be in our prayers.

--
~ Lori
and Jack, Sasha, Rufus, Joey, and Bug

Old October 31st 03, 04:44 PM
Cat Protector

Why did you let her out knowing she was declawed and also afraid of people?
Declawed cats should stay indoors.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
om...

Old October 31st 03, 11:43 PM
Karen M.

Ignore him, he's an idiot. I hope you find your cat.

Old November 1st 03, 12:17 AM
Randy Croft

I agree with Karen
Ignore the CP
My four year old is fully declawed and afraid of strangers.
She LOVES to climb trees. She just finds a tree next to the wood fence,
climbs the fence and jumps into the tree. She makes it look like a piece of
cake. AND I've also seen her back down a full grown deer. We had to run
outside to save the deer from HER.

In finding your cat - don't give up. I would continue to just walk around
the neighborhood softly calling her name.
She's probably just as scared as you are.

Prayers
Kris