Man traps neighbors cats, takes to shelter

Old November 17th 03, 07:32 AM
Karen

in article , Bill S at
wrote on 11/16/03 11:35 PM:

I was visiting a friend in Portland, Oregon this weekend when I saw an
article in the newspaper I was sure many here would find interesting.
I'm sure it will be horrifying to some:

A Portland man, upset at his neighbor's cats continually coming over
and killing birds and crapping in his flower beds decided to take
matters into his own hands. He started trapping the cats and taking
them down and dropping them off at the animal shelter. Most neighbors
eventually thought to check the shelter when their cats disappeared,
but one cat had no ID and was euthanized within a few days. The woman
who owned the cat was crushed and it started a fierce debate in the
Portland papers. Out of the dozen or more letters to the editor I
read, I was actually surprised to find that most supported the man who
was trapping the cats. People were not happy that he allowed one to
be euthanized, but most felt he was within his rights to protect his
property from roaming cats. Apparently some politcians are weighing
in and discussing requiring Portland cats to be kept indoors or within
their own yards.

I sympathize with the man, and with the poor woman who lost her cat.
I have two cats, indoor and out. When outdoors, they are restricted
from getting out of the yard by a special fence I constructed. I
personally hate working in my flower bed and digging up a big cat
turd. One of my flower beds I don't even work in any more because it
smells like a litter box (It's not one my cats can get to, and yes
I've tried every product known to man to keep them out). This is
obviously a bad situation with no easy answers, in my opinion.

Bill

Happened once to us too, but we thought to check the shelter pretty quickly.
The sad part is, our address was on his cage at the shelter so they
definitely knew he belonged to us. Our neighbor is an odd one. My mom was SO
mad. She had baby sat their children for free for years but our cats
couldn't walk across their lawn. This same woman euthanized her own cat and
dog when her husband left her for some unknown reason. Really out there.
Still, there was nothing we could do if they called the pound. Usually we
kept an eye on them. It never did happen again, so I don't know if she felt
bad or realized if one didn't show up, we immediately would check the
shelter.

Karen

Old November 17th 03, 07:38 AM
Karen

in article , Jon C at
wrote on 11/17/03 12:29 AM:

"Agua Girl" wrote in message
t...

"Jon C" wrote in message
Um, he didn't kill the cats.

Read the article next time before posting a long message blasting

something
that wasn't even said.

The guy turned the cats over to the shelter.

" He started trapping the cats and taking
them down and dropping them off at the animal shelter. Most neighbors
eventually thought to check the shelter when their cats disappeared,
but one cat had no ID and was euthanized within a few days"

He turned an animal over to a shelter with a kill policy. Just because
he didn't do the deed himself doesn't make him less responsible.

Read the article next time :-)

AG

Well, I think that any cat owner who both 1) doesn't check the local shelter
when their cat goes missing for several days and 2) allows cats to be
outdoors without any sort of ID shouldn't be surprised when the cat gets
euthanized. The guy did the right thing, and he didn't kill any cats.

Your post made it obvious that you didn't read the article. "We don't take
it into our hands to trap and kill cats." You messed up, get over it.

It's not a matter of who messed up. That is YOUR opinion. Many consider it
killing by shelter. I do think it is better than killing it himself as it at
least gives one a *chance* but not much. What I really wonder is if the
neighbor even *approached* the issue with his neighbors. That's my opinion.
Opinons are allowed. Get over it.

The bird issue brings up something to me. While WNV is so prevelant, people
will find dead birds in their yards and may attribute it to neighbor cats
when it absolutely isn't the case. I just wonder what steps the man took
BEFORE resorting to this. If none, it really really is unconcionable.
Karen

Old November 17th 03, 07:38 AM
Bill S

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:07:49 GMT, "Agua Girl"
wrote:

First off..this has been discussed ad nauseum in here, and is
usually brought up by trolls; but I will take your post on face
value and assume you have no ulterior motive for rehashing the
debate.

Nope, not a troll. I hadn't realized this has been discussed here
before. This particular case or something similar? I got the
impression from the letters I was reading that the incident happened
very recently.

Old November 17th 03, 08:38 AM
Agua Girl

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
Jon C wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Well, I think that any cat owner who both 1) doesn't check the
local shelter when their cat goes missing for several days and 2)
allows cats to be outdoors without any sort of ID shouldn't be
surprised when the cat gets euthanized. The guy did the right
thing, and he didn't kill any cats.

I agree--the owner killed the cat.

I think you are both missing the point. An animal was killed for
no other reason that it did a normal animal thing. The owner
was irresponsible, the man was callous and society shrugs.
It was an animal. Living, breathing, it had value
(and I don't mean money). It's dead now. I know..who
cares. Lets argue about who's right and who's to blame.
I am sorry for the cat..but sorrier still to see this is the state of
humanity. When we kill an animal (or give it to someone else
to kill) for walking on our dirt and then argue about rights.
You know the saying, if you are not part of the solution, you
are part of the problem? Well in my opinion the trapper was
as responsible as the owner. He disposed of the cat without
any concern for it's well being. but hey..at least his garden
will look good this year. Actually it probably won't. Karma's
a bitch.

AG