Claw clipping

Old June 1st 05, 06:45 PM

Default Claw clipping

Why?

Old June 1st 05, 07:36 PM
Karen

Pearl gets hooked on *everything* when her nails get to long. I just clip
the tips.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why?

Old June 1st 05, 08:59 PM
Victor M

So that when Basho and I are engaged in a loving session, his claws
don't shred my face to pieces.
Or when Xoxo sits on my tummy and starts to knead.
Or when Fez climbs on my shoulder.

Old June 1st 05, 10:05 PM

I must be lucky then, cos he's 16 and I've never done it. He did
destroy my old sofa, sneaky thing knew it was verboten and only did it
when I was out of the room, under the cover so I didn't realise til it
was too late. I have just bought new sofas and am now allowing him the
run of the house so he sleeps upstairs during the day and has less
temptation (hopefully) - I've also sprayed cat deterrent on the corners
of the sofas so here's hoping! He uses his scratching post too, and
the tree outside, but it doesn't seem enough. I would never clip him
though, I'd be too scared to injure him, and at his age I don't think
he'd stand for it!

Old June 2nd 05, 01:18 AM
Hopitus

As well as all reasons given for cat's wellbeing re claws
let me add "expensive custom-made leather furniture"!
You have to have the patience to clip regularly and carefully, w/a regular
routine and though my cats don't really like it, they are quite used to me
clipping their claws. You could do it too and if you have new sofas I
really recommend getting the old boy used to being clipped. Declawing has
never, ever been an option for us
in many years of being owned by short furry bosses who seem to understand
that I know what's best for them in general. Give clipping a try: one
caution: do NOT try to do it w/either hoomin nail clippers/scissors OR dog
claw clippers - you will only fail and scare the s*** out of your cat. Buy
CAT claw clippers (constructed differently).

"Karen" wrote in message
in article ,
at wrote on 6/1/05 4:05 PM:

I must be lucky then, cos he's 16 and I've never done it. He did
destroy my old sofa, sneaky thing knew it was verboten and only did it
when I was out of the room, under the cover so I didn't realise til it
was too late. I have just bought new sofas and am now allowing him the
run of the house so he sleeps upstairs during the day and has less
temptation (hopefully) - I've also sprayed cat deterrent on the corners
of the sofas so here's hoping! He uses his scratching post too, and
the tree outside, but it doesn't seem enough. I would never clip him
though, I'd be too scared to injure him, and at his age I don't think
he'd stand for it!

You have to be careful when the become less active. I had one
indoor/outdoor
cat that always did fine, until she got to be about 17. I noticed her
limping one day and checked her paw and I felt so awful! One of her claws
had grown clear around and was buried in her paw pad. I carefully clipped
it
off and pulled it out, but I really kept tab on the older cats claws after
taht.