Kittens must be hitting a new growth spurt

Old February 25th 05, 04:17 AM
Cheryl

Default Kittens must be hitting a new growth spurt

Up until now I have worried about Scarlett in particular, not eating
enough. She's always been sort of a light eater. Now, though, both
kittens can't keep enough food in them!! They are constantly hungry!
No worries about worms since they were dewormed several times after
coming indoors and have never been out since. Scarlett is getting
rounder (but only compared to her previous thin-as-a-rail state) so I
figure they are hitting a growth spurt and are in need of the extra
food. I just keep feeding 'em, and extra at that. I also can't
keep them down from high places these days. Ever since Rhett
discovered high places like tall dressers, counter tops, refrigerator
tops, shelves, etc... Scarlett has followed in his footsteps in the
last week. Tonight I heard a voice from my kitchen. I strained my
ears to listen closely. There, heard it again! "No new messages"
She was standing on my answering machine. Oi.

--
Cheryl
Old February 25th 05, 01:23 PM
Gabey8

It never ocurred to me till I saw the header of this thread, but this must
be why the boys' appetites vary so widely.

I'm consistent with what I feed the cats in a day -- I go according to the
servings listed on the cat food bag. As per the vet, serving food at
regular times is better than just saying, "Oh, time to refill the cat food
dishes" at varying times from one day to the next.

I feed them before I go to bed at night. Most nights, when I go
downstairs, there are just a few kibbles left in each dish. But SOME
nights, there's a fair amount of food remaining, and other nights, the
dishes are completely empty and the cats are ravenous.

Maybe those extra-hungry episodes correspond with growth spurts. The cats
are 10 months old, so they're still growing. Which would be a good
thing... Stanley's gotten a little bit, shall we say, wider than I
expected over the past couple of weeks. Hopefully he'll grow into it, or
burn off the excess, before long. Goodness knows that they're both active
cats, chasing each other everywhere and wrestling all day.

It's a big adjustment, going from caring for one senior-citizen kitty to
raising two rambunctious kittens. Even when they're kittens who are
approaching their first birthday, they're still very much in "pounce on
whatever moves, especially if it's my brother" mode. ) Feeding the cats
is just one aspect of the day where the differences between older and
younger cats are apparent.

Donna and the hungry pair, Captain and Stanley

Old February 25th 05, 03:20 PM
KellyH

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Hehe! Mia and Toffee used to listen to the answering machine too. They
would stand on the button and make it stutter "n-n-n-n-n-no new messages"
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 27th 05, 01:00 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 25 Feb 2005 07:23:26a, Gabey8 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alkaboutpets.com)
:

snip
It's a big adjustment, going from caring for one senior-citizen
kitty to raising two rambunctious kittens. Even when they're
kittens who are approaching their first birthday, they're still
very much in "pounce on whatever moves, especially if it's my
brother" mode. ) Feeding the cats is just one aspect of the
day where the differences between older and younger cats are
apparent.

It sure is!! I've never had kittens in the house before. The
youngest I fostered (back a few years ago) were 6 months old; never
had to go through the worry of "failure to thrive" or "growth
spurts". It's been an experience! I just adore them both.

My sister has twin 5 year old barebabies and they were born
premature (like most mulitple births) and from my sisters
experience with them, they have periods where they can't get enough
food. It always coincides with a growth spurt. I just figured it
was the same with furbabies.

--
Cheryl