[Completely OT] ... job hunters, what would you pay for ...

Old July 10th 05, 10:24 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default [Completely OT] ... job hunters, what would you pay for ...

Well, I got a lot of feedback from my job hunt that my cover letter
was absolutely excellent. More than one person said I had the best
cover letter they'd ever seen.

I've also helped a few people recently, and they all said that I had a
real knack for it.

How much would you pay to have someone spell and grammar check your
cover letter and resume?

How much would you pay for a half-hour evaluation of your cover
letter? How about for a more detailed consultation?

I'm also thinking of offering a discount for people who were laid off;
they could provide me with a copy of their lay-off letter as proof.
Thoughts on whether or not that's a good idea?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to answer this. If you'd
rather not answer it publicly, the email address I'm using is valid;
you can just reply.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 10th 05, 10:32 PM
whitershadeofpale

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Well, I got a lot of feedback from my job hunt that my cover letter
was absolutely excellent. More than one person said I had the best
cover letter they'd ever seen.

Brag brag brag.

Praise Monique!

Put this idle talk aside and BOW BEFORE ME!

Old July 10th 05, 10:44 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-10, whitershadeofpale penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Well, I got a lot of feedback from my job hunt that my cover letter
was absolutely excellent. More than one person said I had the best
cover letter they'd ever seen.

Brag brag brag.

Praise Monique!

Put this idle talk aside and BOW BEFORE ME!

Thanks for missing the point.

Do you have difficulty emphasizing your strengths? Perhaps you'd like
a consultation to help you with your cover letter? Of course, there's
a surcharge for smartasses.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 10th 05, 10:44 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-10, Monique Y. Mudama penned:

How much would you pay to have someone spell and grammar check your
cover letter and resume?

[snip]

If it wasn't clear, I'm not trying to solicit business from the group.
Just trying to figure out a price point and decide if it's a business
idea worth pursuing.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 10th 05, 10:54 PM
whitershadeofpale

On 2005-07-10, whitershadeofpale penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Well, I got a lot of feedback from my job hunt that my cover letter
was absolutely excellent. More than one person said I had the best
cover letter they'd ever seen.

Brag brag brag.

Praise Monique!

Put this idle talk aside and BOW BEFORE ME!

Thanks for missing the point.

Do you have difficulty emphasizing your strengths? Perhaps you'd like
a consultation to help you with your cover letter? Of course, there's
a surcharge for smartasses.

SILENCE, COVER LETTER TYPER! NEVER REPLY TO ME UNLESS I REQEUST IT!

NOW KNEEEOL BEFORE ME, Before I change my mind!

Old July 10th 05, 10:55 PM
whitershadeofpale

Old July 10th 05, 11:07 PM
Candace

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

How much would you pay for a half-hour evaluation of your cover
letter? How about for a more detailed consultation?

I'm sure there is a market but you might as well make it to actually
write the cover letter and resume for them. Those are the businesses I
have seen. Cover letter and resume preparation. I think they make a
tidy sum for it, too.

I think a half-hour evaluation of a cover letter is pushing it, though.
You could probably just rewrite it for them in a half hour or less.
If it's bad, it's bad, what's to evaluate and consult about? I, for
one, would not pay to have my cover letter "evaluated." If I couldn't
write well (and I can), I would pay to have one written, though. Same
with a resume, which would be a more detailed process.

JMTC,

Candace

Old July 10th 05, 11:15 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-10, Candace penned:

I'm sure there is a market but you might as well make it to actually
write the cover letter and resume for them. Those are the
businesses I have seen. Cover letter and resume preparation. I
think they make a tidy sum for it, too.

Interesting.

I think a half-hour evaluation of a cover letter is pushing it,
though. You could probably just rewrite it for them in a half hour
or less. If it's bad, it's bad, what's to evaluate and consult
about? I, for one, would not pay to have my cover letter
"evaluated." If I couldn't write well (and I can), I would pay to
have one written, though. Same with a resume, which would be a more
detailed process.

I wonder how those businesses work. I mean, you have to get the info
out of the person somehow ... I'd imagine that info would be in the
form of a resume ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 10th 05, 11:17 PM
Biskybabe

On 2005-07-10 14:44:02 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama" said:

Thanks for missing the point.

Do you have difficulty emphasizing your strengths? Perhaps you'd like
a consultation to help you with your cover letter? Of course, there's
a surcharge for smartasses.

There are others out there who are offering this kind of service. You
might want to look into what they charge and how they structure their
business. Assuming you're asking the question in hopes of setting up a
business of your own, here's some other things you'll want to think
about.

Look hard at what your costs are to do this and what, minimum, you need
to make to break even. This includes supplies, phone, electricity, as
well as computer software. Depending on what fields your target market
is in, you'll want a website and that means a domain name and hosting.
If you're doing this out of your home I'd suggest either a business
cell phone or a second phone line. Those 4 am calls from customers
really suck. Don't forget insurance costs. And marketing, you'll need
to do some marketing.

You'll also want to talk to a lawyer and get a contract that makes it
clear you're not responsible if they don't get a job. Setting customer
expectations is really important for any sort of consultant.

Don't forget to check with your county about zoning laws, although if
you're not having a huge amount of foot traffic they tend not to care.

From what I remember, cover letters should be customized per
application, so in terms of pricing you might want to do some packages
where you do a flat rate for up to 4 or 6 re-writes of the letter. If
they get a job sooner, that's your profit margin.

How many customers can you handle in a day? A week? How much money do
you need to make a day or a week? Divide the two and that's what you
need to charge each customer. If that's a number higher than the market
will bear, you either need to cut costs or market yourself as something
special.

Good luck. Starting your own business is really hard, but it's quite cool, too.

Old July 10th 05, 11:22 PM
whitershadeofpale

Candace wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Now Kneeling

Candace

Disrespecting Me

I WILL TEACH YOU NOT TO DISRESPECT THE PUSSY MASTER!

Now you will purchase one of these...How do you say..Kover Letters?

And you will pay my Loyal Subject DOUBLE!

YOU GO NOW! Before I change my mind.