old cat

Old May 12th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default old cat

forgive my spelling but im up very late or earley / confuesed/ and searching
the internet.
my 12 year old cat started loosing weight
so i took him to the vet i figuered it was probely bad teeth and knowing
that
at his age probley not a good idea to have teeth done
well i was right and at that time the vet said that the cat has a mass in
his tummy
i said could it be from a surgery from long ago / or poo
he said probley some sort of cancer
gave me anti inflamitory and anti biots for cat and i kept him in the
bathroom
away from my other cats and watched him.
he was eating fine and drinking
then he stopped and i noticed that for 4 days no poo
so i took him back to the vet and said is the mass because he has not
went potty
he said at that time yes.
then he took a blue plastic stick and had me hold my cat and kept sticking
it in his bum--- cant did not like that
well he said that he needed to get it out and that i had two options
pills to make him go or put him under and remove it
i said which would be better and he said removing it.
so DUMMY ME said ok
as he got the shot out i asked is that the light one that you give older
cats and i could not hear all he said but that he would not give as much.
he gave the shot in the back of the hind leg in the muscle
said that it would take about five to ten minuts to take affect, well he
was out in about three minuts.
i told the vet he was out and we took him to the other room for the
procedure.
when i took him out of the cat cage he was not breathing.
i told the vet that and started crying (cus i did not have a chance to say
good by) also was not expecting that.
the vet said his heart was still beating i did not check was to
worried trying to push on his heart until the vet got things going
he got on the phone can called the receptionest and said to get right in
there and to bring the neprin/neprin and gave him some of that then also
put in an iv with some yellow stuff.
also gave a dopem i guess same as dopimane for humans
well he chared for a night and then told me to take him home and that he
did not need a follow up visit.
it has been 34 hours and all the cat does i lay there will not eat or
drink
and every time he moves he cry's
i look in his eyes and he puples are fixed and dont move and the inner
eyelid is half over the eye. its like looking in dead eyes.
called the vet and he said that he is taking this hard and t hat i should
bring him in for iv fluids. hmmmmmmmm interesting i think that the cat
dyed on the table and the vet knows that he messed up but will never admit
it.
i realy think way to much anisteisa for an older cat
and he used a coffee cup for the eniema but he did get out the hard poo
they were like rocks so he did good in one sence but may have hurt my
long time friend.
im going to take him to another vet tomorow and get another opion because i
dont want him to suffer.
any advise would be helpfull
Old May 12th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"a18wheelslady" u21793@uwe wrote in news:6022fc9ea7e81@uwe:

[...]

You have my sincere sympathy. I lost the best cat I've ever know a couple
years ago, who was also twelve. She was such a sweet cat. We forget how
old that really is for a cat: It's like us being 80! Anyway, she had an
unknown mass, a kidney stone, arthritis in her back and a liver infection.
We started treament on her and she did get over the infection and seemed to
be getting better, then crashed. I believed the kidney stone got her. I
came down into the living room and she started crying (she never cried). I
went to pick her up and she was as limp as a dishrag and I knew she was in
trouble. AT 11:30 at night I broke every traffic law and got her to the
hospital, but she died within half an hour.

The lesson I leaned from two cats that have died within the last 7 years:
1. Check them often. If you feel a shaking or "shimmy" get her to the vet
immedicately.
2. If possible, take her to a vet that just does cats, but get the best one
you can find.

My cousin is a vet in the midwest. She loves animals but says cats are
very difficult to work on.

One question: Did the vet suggest a change in diet? They do need food
that's easier to digest after age 7, senior formula, maybe more wet food,
some 'cat grass' whatever.

Anyway, good luck. I hope she gets well and lives a long life!
Old May 12th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

it has been 34 hours and all the cat does i lay there will not eat or
drink
and every time he moves he cry's
i look in his eyes and he puples are fixed and dont move and the inner
eyelid is half over the eye. its like looking in dead eyes.
any advise would be helpfull

You need to get your cat to a new vet ASAP; do not wait.

Old May 12th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Anna wrote:
it has been 34 hours and all the cat does i lay there will not eat or
drink
and every time he moves he cry's
i look in his eyes and he puples are fixed and dont move and the inner
eyelid is half over the eye. its like looking in dead eyes.
any advise would be helpfull

You need to get your cat to a new vet ASAP; do not wait.

interesting new's
called another vet today and come to find out he use to be our very good
horse vet and went into small animal practace.
talking to them on the phone i have an apt for tomorow
but they were telling me that old cats talk longer to come out of the
anistiasa then younger ones exp if he has other problems .
and that what im doing is good putting water in a seringe and putting
one or two in his mouth every hour
the also told me to mush up some kittin can food and put that just
like the water
this way he will get something in him.
it was up to me if i wanted to bring him in today or wait till tomorow but
she said that as long as im doing all of those things it could wait till
tomorow.
i will surely keep updating and yes he did take a suringe full of very
mashed and wet food and ty all for your help :O)

Old May 12th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

anistiasa then younger ones exp if he has other problems .
and that what im doing is good putting water in a seringe and putting
one or two in his mouth every hour

I just had my 13 year old cat's teeth done. I had an ECG and a blood profile
done first. Then she was given gas (isoflurane) anesthesia. She was fine
afterwards. The blood profile will reveal if your cat has any problems such
as kidney disease and other diseases. If your cat is 12 years old, it would
be a good idea to have this done.

Old May 12th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Anna wrote:
anistiasa then younger ones exp if he has other problems .
and that what im doing is good putting water in a seringe and putting
one or two in his mouth every hour

I just had my 13 year old cat's teeth done. I had an ECG and a blood profile
done first. Then she was given gas (isoflurane) anesthesia. She was fine
afterwards. The blood profile will reveal if your cat has any problems such
as kidney disease and other diseases. If your cat is 12 years old, it would
be a good idea to have this done.

the vet never mentioned anything like that .
just to put him under and clean him out under anesthesia .
its a sad thing that we sometime dont get the right care or advice exp from
a vet
but he is still holding his own and i keep putting water in the side of
his mouth we will see tomorow what happens.
the vet that i talked to said that this could be a reaction to the type of
anesthesia that he used also could be that it was just to much for his
age and condition .
and if that is the case then it will take longer to come around.
but if tomorow comes and the vet sayes that his quality of life is not good
then i will not make him suffer any longer.
its just sad that you cant make them accountable for there faulty treatments :
O(((