PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS!

Old January 10th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
EADGBE

Default PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS!

We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

Old January 10th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"EADGBE" wrote in message
ps.com...
We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

Save your pennies some of the cheaper ones can actually harm the furballs
I use advantage and the cost is not that much. I live in Florida where the
humidity and climate breeds fleas like crazy. I have six cats and no fleas

Old January 10th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
about $45 plus shipping.

Old January 12th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
a cheaper vet ...

-T

cindys wrote:
wrote:
If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
about $45 plus shipping.

--------------
My vet (who is expensive) charges around $10 per treatment for
Revolution. It seems to me that EADGBE is not going to save a whole lot
of money by ordering on-line. That having been said, I understand I am
not taking into account the cost of the veterinary visit. A few months
ago, we brought in a foster cat who turned out to have fleas (I had
been assured that the cat did not have fleas and foolishly neglected to
check myself). My veterinarian was willing to examine just the one cat
while providing me with enough Revolution to treat my other four cats
myself at home. So, that may be a possibility...
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 12th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
oups.com...
Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
a cheaper vet ...

----------
No, no....I paid for every vial. What I meant was that the vet could have
insisted that she personally examine all five cats before selling me the
Revolution and that would have meant five office visits. As it was, I paid
for one office visit, which was $40 (for the foster cat since she had never
seen him before), and she just sold me the Revolution for the other cats,
sight unseen, although obviously since the others were her regular patients,
she had seen them at other times in the past.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 12th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryan S.

)]
[11 Jan 2007 17:33:43 -0800]

Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
a cheaper vet ...

I might go so far as to explain my situation to my veterinarian, and see
if he/she might be willing to cut me a break on the Frontline.

My vet back home would, in a heartbeat.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)
Old January 10th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin

"EADGBE" wrote in news:1168392367.864345.7140
@i39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

In the long run you'll save money if you buy something that works in the
first place, instead of spending money on this and that which won't work,
and in the end you'll have to buy the stuff that works anyway.

Bobble
--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page -- http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html
Old January 10th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

Unfortunately, you're going to end up spending more money if you get
the cheaper stuff
1. you'll use it more frequently
2. it just isn't as effective so you'll end up spending money on flea
bombs
3. in a worst case scenario, one of your cats will react to the cheap
stuff and you'll end up with a vet bill.

Frontline is worth the money in the long run.