I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

Old November 6th 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I swear, I need to learn to say "no" to my neighbor when she asks me to cat
sit. She *assures* me there is plenty of cat food and cat litter, but that
is never the case!

Jill

~~~~~~~
Here's another suggestion (in addition to the ones already posted): Why not
use the recent hurricane as an example of why your neighbor should have
*lots* of extra cat food and litter on hand--not just enough for you (the
sitter), but enough to last for a significant period of time in the event of
an emergency. There could be another hurricane, which could prevent travel
to obtain a new supply of food. The manufacturer could temporarily stop
shipping the needed food (as has happened in the past, for various reasons).
Etc. I always keep at least 3 cases of food on hand. I realize that not
everyone can do that. However, the cost is actually the same as buying it a
few cans at a time once the original 3 cases has been bought. Likewise, I
have extra litter. Another example for her: I keep extra supplies for my
cats in the same way that I keep an emergency stock of bottled water and
food that does not require cooking on hand for myself.

MaryL

Old November 7th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

I totally agree with you, Mary. I'd refuse to look after them unless there
was a store of what they needed for Jill to feed them with. Let her get a
cat-sitter service in and see how much it costs plus when they have to buy
food that she cannot be a*sed to provide.
I'd do it once. The second time I had to buy food and litter would be the
last.
Not least because how does she know I would do it? there she is, off
enjoying herself with not enough supplies for her boys.
What if Jill decided not to buy supplies for them? (of course she wouldn't)
but that's the whole point. What if she did and the neighbour came home to
dead cats?

Old November 10th 12, 09:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Sleepless Ramblings (was: I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting))

On 11/6/2012 7:58 AM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I swear, I need to learn to say "no" to my neighbor when she asks me to cat
sit. She *assures* me there is plenty of cat food and cat litter, but that
is never the case!

Jill

~~~~~~~
Here's another suggestion (in addition to the ones already posted): Why
not use the recent hurricane as an example of why your neighbor should
have *lots* of extra cat food and litter on hand--not just enough for
you (the sitter), but enough to last for a significant period of time in
the event of an emergency. There could be another hurricane, which
could prevent travel to obtain a new supply of food. The manufacturer
could temporarily stop shipping the needed food (as has happened in the
past, for various reasons).

MaryL

Excellent points! Given that we live on a coastal island, that
hurricane could just as easily have veered in our direction. She was
out of town when Sandy made landfall up north. If it had turned sooner,
wham!

Neither one of us has ever had to go through a hurricane (knock wood).
We haven't lived here long enough. My parents evacuated a few times
over the years. That raises some other issues...

If there was a mandatory evacuation I'd have to get Persia into her
carrier (a chore in itself). Then get her boys into their carrier.
Then drive inland to who knows where. I think my parents used to drive
to Augusta, GA and hope they could find a hotel room. In this case, I'd
have to find one that would take three cats! (I'll bet she wouldn't
like having to reimburse me for that. LOL)

I think I need to draw up some sort of contract. If there is a
mandatory evacuation they seal off the island. If you haven't left,
you're stuck here. (They have volunteer "block captains" who will go
house to house to see if you plan to leave.) If you don't evac you're
stuck here until the Sheriff gives the all clear and they unblock the
bridge.

Would I be responsible for getting her cats out? Of course I'd try, but
geezlepeets what a PITA that would be. Three cats, one litter box (no
way I'm taking three litter boxes!), litter, food (different
prescriptions), food and water bowls. With all that and three cats in
carriers in the back seat, would there be any room for my photo albums,
important papers and maybe some clothes? I drive a 2-door Hyundai Accent!

Until you mentioned the hurricane, these things never occurred to me.

Jill
Old November 10th 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Until you mentioned the hurricane, these things never occurred to me.

She is taking advantage of you. If she wants you to look after the boys
there must be plenty of food and litter, if not, just say no. It's not up
to you to provide it.
You enable her to do this by getting what they need that she hasn't bought
for them.

Old November 10th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Until you mentioned the hurricane, these things never occurred to me.

She is taking advantage of you. If she wants you to look after the boys
there must be plenty of food and litter, if not, just say no. It's not up
to you to provide it.
You enable her to do this by getting what they need that she hasn't bought
for them.

As I mentioned previously, next time I'll ask to check her supplies
before I agree to anything.

I *know* there are other people on the island who would take care of her
cats. The "listserv" for Dataw has names and numbers of other people
who are willing to pet sit. I'm not on that list. Ironically, she is. LOL

Jill
Old November 11th 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

When I used to cat sit they would always leave more than enough food and litter (as well as something nice for me to eat in the fridge). Only once was there a problem they were due back when Sally's gran was taken very ill suddenly so she called me and said if I wasn't okay with extending the cat sitting then they'd come straight back but if I didn't mind (which I didn't Ben was a nice cat and it was only round the corner)and I had to buy an extra food etc then they would reimburse me in full as soon as they got back

As a matter of fact as Sally always left plenty I think when she got back an extra week later I gave her a bill for a bag of litter and about four cans of food

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 13th 12, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

Default What does a cat sitter charge? (WAS: I spoke too soon (aboutthe cat sitting)

On Friday, November 2, 2012 8:55:09 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
What does a typical cat sitter charge for the services I'm providing? It's not really hard work. Food and water twice a day; scoop the box twice a day. Get them outside if I can. Get them back inside (not always an easy task). Oh, and there are two outdoor watering stations to be filled. This time I'm watering her outdoor plants, too. She did move them from the back patio to the front so I don't have to drag the hose around. Maybe if I start charging I could tack on mileage charges if I have to drive to town to buy food for them. Lord knows I could use the money, too! Jill

In this area, a typical petsitter is about $15-$20 A DAY (one visit per day). I use someone cheaper, but then, I've only gone away twice in the past 2 years.

HOWEVER, when you have to schlep into town to pick up more food and/or litter because she's negligent, charge her 50 cents a mile for the gas and wear and tear on your car. That's what the typical reimbursement is. Keep track of your mileage, of course.
If she's going to expect you to do all that, she needs to pay for it!

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old November 13th 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Jane" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~
There should also be a fee for her *time and inconvenience* (in addition to
mileage). Her neighbor needs to learn that her lack of responsibility
carries a price.

MaryL

Old November 14th 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Until you mentioned the hurricane, these things never occurred to me.

She is taking advantage of you. If she wants you to look after the boys
there must be plenty of food and litter, if not, just say no. It's not
up
to you to provide it.
You enable her to do this by getting what they need that she hasn't
bought
for them.

As I mentioned previously, next time I'll ask to check her supplies before
I agree to anything.

I *know* there are other people on the island who would take care of her
cats. The "listserv" for Dataw has names and numbers of other people who
are willing to pet sit. I'm not on that list. Ironically, she is. LOL

Jill

So tell her to get the others if she cannot be bothered to provide the food
they need.
I would really only do it twice if there was special food that her cat
needed. I'd go to the vet's to get that twice only. after that she'd have
to get someone else to look after them.
I would expect that someone who has cats with special needs food would make
sure that there is plenty if they go away not expect a neighbour to.