ethics: The stray that wasn't..

Old July 9th 04, 06:47 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 04:10:28 -0500, Brian Link wrote:

About three weeks ago this nice little tom started visiting us. We
have two indoor cats and they were pretty agitated.

He kept coming around, and I took a good look at him. He was
un-neutered, looked to be a year or two old, was bedraggled and
riddled with ear mites. Other than that he was friendly and seemed in
good health. He didn't seem bothered by the cats trying to tunnel
through the picture window to get to him.. his response was to spray
our house. And our car. And our garden.. etc.

After a couple weeks, I decided I'd put some food out for him, which
he graciously wolfed down and asked for more. I put a cardboard box in
the shade for him to lay in, and he took up residence.

Well, to make a long story short, I checked the Humane Society, asked
around the neighborhood and put up posters, but no one recognized him.
So we made the decision to adopt him. Took him to the vet, got his
vaccinations, cleaned his ears, and got him fixed. About $450
altogether, which we could barely spare..

Today a kid bikes up to me and says "hey mister, remember that cat you
were asking about? Someone has a lost cat poster up at the rec center
and it looks like him".

Now.. if someone 'owned' him and let him rove freely, un-neutered, and
let the mites get to the point where his ears were running, should I
call them and tell them I found their cat?

Maybe there's a little kid who loves that (absentee) cat as much I
love my cats. Maybe they didn't know better.

If it turns out to be him, should I call?

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
----------------------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea;
they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
- regmech

That is a tough call. On the one hand, it could be that they cat went
missing awhile back (in which case, why wouldn't they have posters up
earlier?) and that's how he got in this shape. And as you said, you
wouldn't want to break a little kids' heart.

On the other hand, I have less and less patience for anyone who
deliberately allows their cat out, doesn't spay/neuter, etc.

I used to try *very* hard to track down owners -- knocking on doors,
looking for signs, calling the Humane Society, etc. I seem to try
less hard, especially when I find an unneutered cat full of fleas and
mites who clearly hasn't been cared for.

Over the years, I have found and returned cats to their homes -- in
those cases, the cat snuck out and had only been gone a day or so, and
they were in good shape. Others I have found were in bad shape, and I
never did see any signs, get any knocks on my door (I'm kinda the
"neighborhood cat lady", or find anywhere they seemed to belong.

Bottom line, what do you feel is the right thing to do for the cat?
And that's your answer.

Best of luck,

Ginger-lyn

Old July 9th 04, 08:28 PM
JoJo

I'd keep him - you just spent time and money getting him healthy. Not to
mention fixed. If the cat went missing weeks ago and they are only now
looking for it shame on them.

I once found a stray dog, I knocked on doors, nobody knew who dog belonged
to. Had no choice but to take it to shelter (that puts them down if they
get crowded - how I cried to turn the dog over). I called the police told
them if anyone was looking for a dog it was at that shelter. I found out
days later who it belonged to, they kept the dog outside day and nite, never
paid attention to it. I decided the dog had a better shot at the shelter
than back at it's house. where it could get loose and hit by car. I pray
he did get adopted, I'll never know.

Old July 10th 04, 05:14 AM
Sunflower

What is the legal time that a stray has to be held at the local animal
control agency before it can be adopted? Generally, the law will find that
if you made a good faith effort to find the owner within that period and
notified animal control and other humane agencies, then that animal can be
considered unowned and can be adopted by you. YOu now have spent money on
this animal and it is listed in your name at a vet which also provides
provenance of ownership should any legal issues arise. The tricky part is if
a previous owner actually did spend money on vet care or an adoption fee for
the animal and it scooted out the door shortly thereafter and then wandered
for a while before he found you. If that's the case, then he need to
reimburse you for your expenses for his animal before it's returned.

I personally would go take a look at the poster just for my own peace of
mind. If for whatever reason the dates were right and the animal looked
right, I would give the number a call. BLOCK CALLER ID! *67 I think. If,
after you've asked a few pointed questions (like why was this cat in
horrible shape and unneutered) you determine that this WAS their cat, then I
would have no qualms about keeping him if his absence wasn't just a freak
accident. I would also attempt to educate the owners on cat ownership and
care-- for the subsequent cat that they are sure to adopt. You only hope
you reach them. That's why I suggest blocking the caller ID. If it turns
out to be their cat, and they are assholes, you don't want them having your
phone number. You have no idea what a ****ed off idiot with your phone
number and too much time can do, and making police reports is a hassle.

Old July 11th 04, 09:03 PM
frlpwr

Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:

(snip)

And as you said, you
wouldn't want to break a little kids' heart.

Give me a break! Cats aren't children's toys and children don't have
the knowledge or the means to properly care for animals. Parents are
responsible for children's pets and, if this cat is the poster cat, the
parents were negligent in searching for the cat and in failing to neuter
and treat its earmites. There is no reason to believe they will behave
differently next time, if the cat is returned to them.

Let them buy their kid a plastic action figure and let the cat remain
with responsible caregivers.

Old July 12th 04, 10:22 PM
Electric Nachos

frlpwr wrote in message ...

Give me a break! Cats aren't children's toys

Actually.... they are.

Other than costing additional money for health, food, and cleanliness, they
really serve no other purpose.