moving a cat

Old February 29th 04, 05:02 PM
Jay

Default moving a cat

Our young daughter moved out of the house to her Dad's house. (long
story) We decided that it was in the best interest of her cat, who
knows noplace else but our house, neighborhood and animals around to
remain with us. As well as her Dad having other animals, cats and
dogs, they also live fairly close to a major thouroughfair. Given all
this information we decided, for the welfare of the cat, to keep it
with us. Now, of all the absurd things, her Dad is threatening to sue
us for custody of the cat!!! Yes, really! We would like some
documentation that it in the cats best interest to remain with us.
Does anyone know who should we talk to or where we should go for
appropriate information?
Thanks
Jay
Old February 29th 04, 05:14 PM
Dennis Carr

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:02:20 -0800, Jay wrote:

Our young daughter moved out of the house to her Dad's house. (long
story) We decided that it was in the best interest of her cat, who
knows noplace else but our house, neighborhood and animals around to
remain with us. As well as her Dad having other animals, cats and
dogs, they also live fairly close to a major thouroughfair. Given all
this information we decided, for the welfare of the cat, to keep it
with us.

Very wise, yes, though FWIW I would suspect that after a few days of
adjustment your daughter's cat will get along just fine.

Now, of all the absurd things, her Dad is threatening to sue
us for custody of the cat!!! Yes, really!

=O.o=

We would like some
documentation that it in the cats best interest to remain with us.
Does anyone know who should we talk to or where we should go for
appropriate information?

DISCLAIMER: IANAL

A threat to sue is arbitrary, a suit for possession of a cat will probably
be directed to small claims. Please don't consider it legal advice - take
it with a grain of salt. My legal advice is this: talk to an attorney or
legal aid if you get served.

Simply put, familiarity breeds contentment, but the cats can adjust very
well. We moved from a studio to a one bed a couple of years ago, and had
no problem with the move above and beyond the fact that our cats (four of
them at the time - Aggie, the two orange cats, and one long haired black
with a locket who preferred to be left alone) spent a couple of days
readjusting. The circumstances are a bit different for you, but for
whatever this is worth, when we took in Neresse back in March 2002 (thus
increasing our population to five), the usual territorial disputes ensued
and quickly died down. Our breeding activities are moot in this regard -
all the kittens grew up in house, thereby having the family being very
familiar with each other.

The thoroughfare is not an issue unless kitty spends any amount of time
outdoors.

In the end, though, you mention it's your daughter's cat. It's my
staunch opinion that it should be left entirely up to her. If she can
make the decision to move, she should make the decision about the cat.

I sincerely apologize if this is a disappointment, Jay, but I'm going off
of my own experiences and putting up theory.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old February 29th 04, 07:05 PM
Sherry

Our young daughter moved out of the house to her Dad's house. (long
story) We decided that it was in the best interest of her cat, who
knows noplace else but our house, neighborhood and animals around to
remain with us. As well as her Dad having other animals, cats and
dogs, they also live fairly close to a major thouroughfair. Given all
this information we decided, for the welfare of the cat, to keep it
with us. Now, of all the absurd things, her Dad is threatening to sue
us for custody of the cat!!! Yes, really! We would like some
documentation that it in the cats best interest to remain with us.
Does anyone know who should we talk to or where we should go for
appropriate information?
Thanks
Jay

Unless there is more information that you did not include, the fact that "Dad"
lives near a major thoroughfare and has other pets doesn't make it an unfit
home. Those are both workable situations if "Dad" is conscientious enough to
*make* it work.
On the other hand, is it possible that Kitty is simply being used as a pawn for
adult grudges? If so, and if you truly don't think it's a fit home, hold out
and *let* Dad spend his money on attorneys to reclaim the cat. He'll probably
give up before anything comes of it.
But, for appropriate information on how to present a case to a judge that you
are the rightful owner, you'll have to hire a lawyer of your own.
IMO, this sounds like a collosal waste of time and money.
How old iis the daughter? Old enough to have any say in the matter?

Sherry

Old February 29th 04, 07:27 PM
Alison

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
Our young daughter moved out of the house to her Dad's house. (long
story) We decided that it was in the best interest of her cat, who
knows noplace else but our house, neighborhood and animals around to
remain with us. As well as her Dad having other animals, cats and
dogs, they also live fairly close to a major thouroughfair. Given

all
this information we decided, for the welfare of the cat, to keep it
with us. Now, of all the absurd things, her Dad is threatening to

sue
us for custody of the cat!!! Yes, really! We would like some
documentation that it in the cats best interest to remain with us.
Does anyone know who should we talk to or where we should go for
appropriate information?
Thanks
Jay

Hi Jay,
I'm sorry you are all in this situation. What sort of
documentation are you looking for ? Sonmething from a cat behaviour
book or a web site?
From the cats point of view, I think he would be better off staying
where he is.
Alison

Old February 29th 04, 07:27 PM
Alison

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From the cats point of view, I think he would be better off staying
where he is.
Alison

Old February 29th 04, 07:36 PM
Alison

"Dennis Carr" wrote in message
news

Very wise, yes, though FWIW I would suspect that after a few days of
adjustment your daughter's cat will get along just fine.

But it might not . It's heck of a lot for a cat to have to go go
through, losing it's territory and moving to a strange house with
other cats and dogs. That's major stress and major insecurity.
The OP hasn't given many details, whether the cat knows the child's
father or if it is used to dogs. All these facts have to be taken
into account.
I just hope the OP really is fond of the cat and wants to keep it for
itself and not just to use as a pawn .
Alison