Need Advice on Traveling w/cat

Old April 14th 05, 06:22 PM
Meghan

Default Need Advice on Traveling w/cat

Hi, I used to post on this board a while back but I haven't lately. I have
a dilemma and need advice from others who understand cats.

I have a 2 year old boy Manx ("Gray") who is EXTREMELY attached to me as
Manx's are known to do. I work at home so he spends 24/7 with me, on my
lap, at my side, and every single night with his arms around my neck all
night. It's amazing.

Due to a family obligation I have to go stay with relatives 5 hours away for
7-10 days next week. It is a quiet house with no other pets. My question
is, do bring Gray with me or leave him home? My husband will be here, along
with Gray's 4 cat-siblings. I know if I bring him, he will be scared in an
unfamiliar house, and will probably end up spending several hours a day
alone if he comes. He will also have to do the 5-hour ride twice. But, he
would have me when I'm there during the day, and at night. I am trying not
to be selfish, because I will miss him terribly if he stays home, but I
don't want to torture him either. I've never left him for this long, and
when I have gone for 1 night only I've been told he seems lonely.

Advice?

Thanks,
Meghan

Old April 14th 05, 06:33 PM
Mary

"Meghan" wrote in message
Hi, I used to post on this board a while back but I haven't lately. I

have
a dilemma and need advice from others who understand cats.

I have a 2 year old boy Manx ("Gray") who is EXTREMELY attached to me as
Manx's are known to do. I work at home so he spends 24/7 with me, on my
lap, at my side, and every single night with his arms around my neck all
night. It's amazing.

He sounds wonderful.

Due to a family obligation I have to go stay with relatives 5 hours away

for
7-10 days next week. It is a quiet house with no other pets. My question
is, do bring Gray with me or leave him home? My husband will be here,

along
with Gray's 4 cat-siblings.

I have a similar situation in that my little tabby is very attached to me
and I
work at home, so I am with her 24/7. There are times when I have to
travel for business and when I do I am gone a week to ten days. I always
leave her here and she is fine. My husband loves her, and pays a little
extra attention to her when I am gone. Believe it or not, they do just
fine without us for that little bit of time, and they adjust just fine. I
really
think taking him with you would be more upsetting for her than missing
you will be. Just my 2 cents. He will be happier and safer at home,
don't you think?

Old April 14th 05, 07:21 PM
Phil P.

"Meghan" wrote in message
Hi, I used to post on this board a while back but I haven't lately. I

have
a dilemma and need advice from others who understand cats.

I have a 2 year old boy Manx ("Gray") who is EXTREMELY attached to me as
Manx's are known to do. I work at home so he spends 24/7 with me, on my
lap, at my side, and every single night with his arms around my neck all
night. It's amazing.

Due to a family obligation I have to go stay with relatives 5 hours away

for
7-10 days next week. It is a quiet house with no other pets. My question
is, do bring Gray with me or leave him home?

If its not absolutely necessary to take him with you, I'd say leave him
home.

Phil

Old April 14th 05, 07:33 PM
CatNipped

"Meghan" wrote in message
[...]

As much as you'll miss him, I'd say leave him at home. Cats get *very*
upset, sometimes to the point of illness, when their routine is disrupted.

Hugs,

CatNipped
--
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of stupidity is for smart (wo)men
to do nothing."

-CatNipped

Old April 14th 05, 08:40 PM
Meghan

"Meghan" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is just what I needed - an
objective opinion from people who KNOW cats. It does make me sad to leave
him home and I have to admit to a part of me fearing that he'll "forget" me
or be mad at me or won't cuddle with me when I get back. Dumb! You are all
right though and I would just hate myself if he got sick because of going.

My husband will have strict orders to give him extra TLC next week.

thank you!
Meghan

Old April 14th 05, 08:55 PM
Karen

"Meghan" wrote in message

"Meghan" wrote in message
[...]

My experience is that you won't be able to peel him off of you when you get
back.

Old April 14th 05, 09:16 PM
CatNipped

"Meghan" wrote in message

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is just what I needed - an
objective opinion from people who KNOW cats. It does make me sad to leave
him home and I have to admit to a part of me fearing that he'll "forget"
me
or be mad at me or won't cuddle with me when I get back. Dumb! You are
all
right though and I would just hate myself if he got sick because of going.

My husband will have strict orders to give him extra TLC next week.

thank you!
Meghan

LOL, let's hope he's not like my Bandit - when I come back from a trip she
waits until I'm asleep and then bites me for having left her! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 14th 05, 09:55 PM
Mary

"Meghan" wrote in message

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is just what I needed - an
objective opinion from people who KNOW cats. It does make me sad to leave
him home and I have to admit to a part of me fearing that he'll "forget"

me
or be mad at me or won't cuddle with me when I get back. Dumb!

Maybe, but I felt the same way the first time I left my tabby cat for over a
week.
When I came home, she looked at me with these huge eyes, like, "You're back!
I thought you were never coming back!" Then her expression changed to, "So,
you did not get killed. You left me! Hmmph, I see." She pouted for 40
minutes
and made me come get her, then all was as it usually is! Now when I go away
she acts like I have not even been gone.

You are all
right though and I would just hate myself if he got sick because of going.

My husband will have strict orders to give him extra TLC next week.

This is key. Also, you can call him every night as I did and ask if he
has given him his petting and love for the night. If you are both
as strange as we are, you can ask him to put the phone to your
kitty's ear and you can talk to him. 8) Have a nice trip.

Old April 14th 05, 09:56 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Meghan" wrote in message

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is just what I needed - an
objective opinion from people who KNOW cats. It does make me sad to

leave
him home and I have to admit to a part of me fearing that he'll "forget"
me
or be mad at me or won't cuddle with me when I get back. Dumb! You are
all
right though and I would just hate myself if he got sick because of

going.

My husband will have strict orders to give him extra TLC next week.

thank you!
Meghan

LOL, let's hope he's not like my Bandit - when I come back from a trip she
waits until I'm asleep and then bites me for having left her! ;

Man, she really thinks ahead, doesn't she?