OT....About The Melbourne Cup

Old November 5th 03, 03:52 AM
Gizela

Default OT....About The Melbourne Cup

For all those who don't know what the Melbourne Cup is....it is a horse
race...actually the Melbourne Cup is one race on a day we call "Melbourne
Cup Day"...if you live in Victoria (a state of Australia) you get a day off
work (it is a public holiday)....it is HUGE....and dubbed "the race that
stops a nation"...which is pretty much does...it has prize money worth about
$4million for the winning horse.....which is meant to be the biggest in the
world (as a rough guide, the British pay, for their top race day, apprently
$0.5 million AUD equivalent). It is held on the first Tuesday in November
and attracts horse from all over the world. The race is 3200m and comprises
24 horses.

This year (i.e. yesterday) people in oe state alone (NSW) spent $340 million
on bets.

The TAB is the place where you place bets on horses.

A sweep is where you get people to pay a set amount then someone draws the
horses names out of a hat for each person. There are prizes for 1st, 2nd,
3rd and last.

I spent $11 at the TAB (and put money on two horses who came somewhere
between 4th and 22nd....hence made NOTHING) and went in two sweeps at work
(a $1 and a $2 one)....where I got 1st for the $1 one and won $12.....so,
over all, I lost about $2. Its the only time of the year that I gamble. We
have a pub here at uni (where I work and study) and they showed the race on
a BIG projector screen.....the bar was packed...barely any room to move and
REALLY noisy.

So I think thats pretty much it. Any question....don't hesitate to ask (no
mattr how silly they might seem)

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Old November 5th 03, 04:22 AM
Takayuki

"Gizela" u wrote:
So I think thats pretty much it. Any question....don't hesitate to ask (no
mattr how silly they might seem)

If I had asked a question, it would have probably been over your silly
threshold, because I had convinced myself that the Melbourne Cup was a
soccer, or perhaps cricket, event. I think that's because those were
the two subjects that Vicky mentioned she didn't have any clue about,
so they just go stuck in my mind. You could have given me 10 guesses,
and I would not have guessed that it was a horse race. My third guess
would have been tennis.

Old November 5th 03, 03:11 PM
JBHajos

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:22:03 -0500, Takayuki
wrote:

You could have given me 10 guesses,
and I would not have guessed that it was a horse race. My third guess
would have been tennis.

Hmmm, interesting. My guess was a yacht race of some sort.

Jeanne
Old November 5th 03, 11:53 PM
Tanada

Karen Chuplis wrote:

I read all the DF novels about every two years. I love them to distraction.
I wish I could write like him.

I read my favorite DF novels at least once/year and stagger the rest in
two year intervals. There aren't very many that get staggered.

I'd love to go to a horse race, as I've never been to one. What's sad
is that we lived in Kentucky for six years, within two hours of
Lexington, where the KY Derby is held, and never went to it. Sometimes
they have show jumping on post, and I want to go to that, but haven't
made it yet. Someday I'll get my act together and....

Pam S. who still wants to go to a cat show as well.
Old November 6th 03, 12:50 AM
David Stevenson

Yoj wrote

I never used to be interested in horse racing, mainly because I don't
gamble. However, after reading a couple dozen Dick Francis books, I
have become very interested. There is a race track within driving
distance of me, but I've never been. I understand there is a lot of
waiting around between races, and I suspect I'd get bored wandering
around by myself. I'd love to go if I could find somebody to go with
me, though.

I do not know what the timescale is like in the USA, but in England
there is a race every thirty minutes, and that is not time enough to put
a bet on, look at the form, look at the horses in the paddock, look at
the winners, and get a snack. Good thing I do not win as well or the
time would be even more impossible.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old November 6th 03, 03:13 AM
Yoj

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
[...]

I'm under the impression there is a longer time between, but I could be
wrong, since I've never been to a race. I'd have a little less trouble
managing that time, because I wouldn't bet on more than one or two
races, at most. I am not a gambler. Gamblers assume they are going to
win. I assume I am going to lose, so I seldom do any gambling. I went
to a gathering of people from another newsgroup in Las Vegas a few years
ago. We were there for four or five days. On my last day there, I put
a quarter in a slot machine, and won it back. That worked well, because
I could tell everybody I broke even in Vegas. ;-)

Joy

Old November 6th 03, 03:15 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:53:09 GMT, Tanada
wrote:

Karen Chuplis wrote:

I read all the DF novels about every two years. I love them to distraction.
I wish I could write like him.

I read my favorite DF novels at least once/year and stagger the rest in
two year intervals. There aren't very many that get staggered.

One of the series I read over and over is the Honor Harrington series-
one of the few series where I couldn't wait for the paperback and went
ahead and bought the hard cover when it came out.

I'd love to go to a horse race, as I've never been to one. What's sad
is that we lived in Kentucky for six years, within two hours of
Lexington, where the KY Derby is held, and never went to it. Sometimes
they have show jumping on post, and I want to go to that, but haven't
made it yet. Someday I'll get my act together and....

Pam S. who still wants to go to a cat show as well.

--
Steve Touchstone,
remove Junk for email