Tweeds accident

Old March 5th 14, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

Default Tweeds accident

I wonder how Tweed was able to summon help after she fell. I always carry an emergency dialer that will let me call 911 if i'm in trouble. Anybody that lives alone should have that kind of help.
Old March 5th 14, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/4/2014 5:10 PM, Mike Mayers wrote:
I wonder how Tweed was able to summon help after she fell. I always carry an emergency dialer that will let me call 911 if i'm in trouble. Anybody that lives alone should have that kind of help.

Yes, I have a "Lifeline" button I wear around my neck. I also keep my
cell phone in my pocket.

Joy
Old March 5th 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/4/2014 9:03 PM, Joy wrote:
On 3/4/2014 5:10 PM, Mike Mayers wrote:
I wonder how Tweed was able to summon help after she fell. I always
carry an emergency dialer that will let me call 911 if i'm in
trouble. Anybody that lives alone should have that kind of help.

Yes, I have a "Lifeline" button I wear around my neck. I also keep my
cell phone in my pocket.

Joy

Somewhere I wrote down the name of the unit Mike said he has. It's not
a pay-by-the month monitored setup. Seems to me it worked with your
landline and you program in up to five numbers to call when you push the
button. Mike? Tell me what it was again?

Cell phones just don't work well where I live. (*Nothing* wireless
works well here.) I did have a cell phone when I was travelling a lot.
Once I got here, I found I couldn't get a signal unless I walked
outside, often to the end of the driveway. That's not very helpful if
you've hurt yourself.

The security system in the house does have an emergency button which is
connected to the gate. But you have to be able to get to the panel to
hit the button.

Jill
Old March 5th 14, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/5/2014 8:37 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 3/4/2014 9:03 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

Lifeline connects to the local hospital through my land line. There is
a unit in my bedroom. The button will work anywhere on my property,
even outside. After about a minute, someone from the hospital responds
through the bedroom unit, asking if I need help. If I can get into the
bedroom to explain the situation, I do. (I'm also supposed to test it
once a month, and I just say I'm testing and they reset from their end,
and I push the reset button on the unit.) If I don't respond, they call
my contact people and send somebody out. Part of the paperwork included
names and phone numbers of family members and anyone who has a key. My
next door neighbor has a key, because her grandson feeds my cats when
I'm away. I haven't needed it yet, but it gives a great feeling of
security, especially since I can also wear the button in the shower.

Joy
Old March 5th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 3/4/2014 9:03 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

These systems are a great idea. My late mother refused to consider one;
said she couldn't use a cell phone and rarely if ever carried her
portable phone with her. The inevitable happened - she had a fall,
probably in the early morning, and no one knew what happened until I
showed up for a visit hours later. No bones broken, but she was so badly
affected she spent quite a while in hospital being checked out and then
trying to recover her strength, balance and nerve (since she was so
scared of another fall). In some ways, she never fully recovered. When
the hospital was ready to discharge her, we persuaded her to move from
her apartment, hopefully temporarily, so that someone would be available
in the night if - actually, when - she fell again, but in spite of the
additional help, she never recovered her previous level of independance.

--
Cheryl
Old March 5th 14, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/4/2014 9:03 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

That is sad, Chak. I had a fall a couple of years ago. I didn't break
anything, but the whole left side of my face was very colorful for a
while. I lay there for a while, wondering if I could get up. I kept
thinking about people I've heard, including two people I knew, who were
dead for several days before they were found. When I finally got up, I
put my cell phone in my pocket immediately. When I told my daughter
about it, she suggested the Lifeline, and I immediately applied. There
was a $25 application fee, and because of my fairly low income, I pay
only $15 a month. I think it would be $30 a month otherwise.

Joy

Old March 5th 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 3/4/2014 9:03 PM, Joy wrote:
[...]

When my mother moved to a sheltered housing flat she had one of those
buttons which linked through her telephone line. The flat didn't have a
resident warden just pull cords to link to the housing association help
line.

She only used the button once when a man who was one of her neighbours and
who got confused which was his flat was banging on her door to be let in
as he thought it was his flat. She used the button and they rang her phone
to check what the problem was and sent round the police.

The flat she's in now has someone usually there (they live in) to answer
the pull cord and she's used it a few times when she has fallen, not hurt
just needed help to get up. On the last occasion the warden wasn't in and
it went through to the housing association help desk. They sent round a
paramedic who picked her up and gave her a thorough check over.

I think anyone living alone whatever their age should have one of those
buttons. I would get one somehow if I was alone.

Judith

I agree. There is enough variations that anybody ought to be able to
find the one that suits them.

Joy

Avoiding an accident MaryL Cat anecdotes 12 June 12th 10 01:55 PM
Freak accident John F. Eldredge Cat anecdotes 17 October 21st 08 11:53 PM
Our cat had a little accident. :( Advice please! John Krystek Cat health & behaviour 82 November 10th 05 08:27 AM
almost-bad accident Pat Cat anecdotes 9 July 25th 05 04:46 AM
GW [OT] Ghostly accident Yowie Cat anecdotes 3 September 22nd 04 02:23 AM