Tasteless use of cat in advertising

Old April 13th 04, 03:23 PM
MGW

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:41:50 -0400, "Cathy Friedmann"
wrote:

Have you ever read Bill Bryson, & his takes on the use of the English
language? He suggests that we forget about the old dangling prepositions
rule, & let them dangle all we want to. ;-)

"Mother Tongue" - excellent book! Also explains how we got our crazy
spelling, and has a chapter on swear words g
Old April 13th 04, 04:59 PM
MGW

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:32:30 GMT, "BrandyÂ*Â*Alexandre"
wrote:

Cathy Friedmann wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Have you ever read Bill Bryson, & his takes on the use of the
English language? He suggests that we forget about the old
dangling prepositions rule, & let them dangle all we want to. ;-)

Cathy

Mostly because the sentence structure you must use to avoid them sounds
really weird to our rapidly devolving language ears.

Actually, according to Bryson, the dangling prepositions rule came
about when scholarly people got the bizarre idea that English should
mimic Latin and tried to force Latin grammar onto English.
Old April 13th 04, 04:59 PM
MGW

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:32:30 GMT, "BrandyÂ*Â*Alexandre"
wrote:

Cathy Friedmann wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Old April 13th 04, 05:22 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote

kaeli! I had no idea that you were a graduate of the
same charm school I flunked out of! Here is how
I can tell that you fared better than me: I just would
have said, "Moron!"

I do try not to appear to be TOO much of a bitch. Though Bob knows I
don't always do too well at that.
/snicker

I would try harder if it weren't so much fun. My rationale:
I tend to be way too nice most of the time, so anyone who
screws with me has it coming.

---

Old April 13th 04, 05:26 PM
Mary

"Ryan Robbins" wrote in message
news
Perhaps you could enlighten me on this rule of threes thing. I have

looked
in all of my books and can't find any reference to it.

This is very telling. You have way too much time on your hands.

---

Old April 13th 04, 05:33 PM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote in
message .. .
circa Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:34:00 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Mary ) said,
All I know for Swordfish is a shirtless Hugh Jackman. That's

quite
enough.

Is that the guy who played the hacker?

Yes, and Wolverine in X-men, and the dude in the flick with Ashley
Judd, and the other dude in that other flick with Meg Ryan...

He's tasty.

He is indeed. There is some cable channel that is having
a week or more of movies that star all the major heartthrobs
of the cinema. I keep seeing it advertised when I channel
surf myself into sleepiness late at night. My number one
was Mel Gibson in Gallipoli. Only in Gallipoli, for some
reason. As soon as he started using an American
accent and speaking from his diaphragm in a way
that sounded like he was being dubbed, he lost
his charm. Then he started to age from all that
sun and all those Winstons. Now he looks like
an average used car salesman. And is apparently
INSANE to boot. But in Gallipoli, mmmmm!

---

Old April 13th 04, 05:35 PM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote

Sure, but pick a subject that you know well, and watch a movie that
is *about* that subject.

Well, I can see that.

And then there are the ones where you don't
need much specialized knowledge to begin
snickering, like the movies in which Arnie
sets off a bomb in a phone booth and
everyone dies but him.

If the movie is blatantly dumbed-down and/or
"jazzed up", it is annoying. It simply is. It's akin to a pilot
watching a movie in which planes perform impossible feats; you can't
help but notice the dearth of technical accuracy when it's what you
do for a living.

As for content, Best Film I've Seen In Years---White Oleander.
Michele Pfeiffer played a character who was purely heroic and
absolutely villainous at the same time. It took my breath
away. I want to see it again. It was visually beautiful, too.

Agreed. The only thing that grated on me was the damned wig or dye
job or whatever the hell was going on with that girl's hair.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.