How to tell when it's time?

Old June 2nd 04, 07:22 PM
Lisa Horton

Default How to tell when it's time?

This is a bit difficult to write.

My cat is near the end. She's coming up on 22 years old, and has been
going downhill for the last several months. It really started around
Christmas of 2002, when she had a big stroke. I got her breathing again
with mouth to mouth, and she spent the night in an oxygen box at the pet
emergency hospital. She's had a few smaller strokes since then, and
each time she seems to get less steady on her feet and less interested
in anything other than couch, food, and box. She seems to have had
another minor stroke a few days ago, and she's having trouble getting up
on the couch. She walks very slowly, and stops often, perhaps to rest.

When she had the water drinking problem that I posted about, the vet
(who is very fond of her) said that he was now comfortable with doing
the final thing, that she'd gone downhill enough. Well of course with
the new water she got much better, so that was the end of that thought
for the moment.

She's been really old for a few years now, so I've had a lot of time to
think about this. My position has been and still is that the decision
will be based on her quality of life, and also a quality end.

So, what brings me to asking this question here is this: I think that
she may now be in pain. It's obviously hard to walk, and she's mostly
stopped vocalizing. She's always been a very vocal cat, conversational
even. Her back legs just don't work very well now, and she even has
trouble getting up from a laying down position, and has trouble keeping
her balance while on her feet. I don't want her to suffer, but I don't
want to end her life prematurely.

Your thoughts, suggestions, and advice will be appreciated.

Lisa
Old June 2nd 04, 08:15 PM
Annie Wxill

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
This is a bit difficult to write.

My cat is near the end. She's coming up on 22 years old, and has been
going downhill for the last several months. ... I don't want her to

suffer, but I don't
want to end her life prematurely.
Your thoughts, suggestions, and advice will be appreciated.
Lisa

Lisa,
I'm sorry I can't help you make your decision, but my heart goes out to you.
It is such a difficult thing to guess when the time is right.

Annie

Old June 2nd 04, 08:36 PM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:22:57 -0700, Lisa Horton
wrote:

[...]

As someone who has been there, I can tell you that no one can tell you
when it's time. You will know yourself when it's time and your cat
will tell you in her own way when it is time. When my Norman had
cancer, we had to make the decision about when it was time. I don't
think we ever doubted our timing. We never wanted him suffer too much
and he kind of told us when it was time. I don't really want to
advise you one way or the other, except for listen to your heart and
your kitty and make the best decision you can. In the end, know that
she loves you as much as you to love her.

My prayers are with you,
Rob

Old June 3rd 04, 03:58 AM
MacCandace

Your thoughts, suggestions, and advice will be appreciated.

Lisa

Lisa, while it is a very personal decision, I prefer to opt for a little too
soon rather than a little too late. I had my 18 year old kitty euthanized in
March, and he was not the first. I don't think he was in pain but I do think
he was uncomfortable and had lost interest in eating and was beginning to hide.
He had been vocal, too, and had quit meowing altogether. He didn't purr when
we brushed or petted him anymore although he seemed to enjoy it a little...not
like before, though. He was wobbly when he walked. I didn't want to make him
suffer more and I was sure he wasn't going to get any better. It was still
very hard to decide when, though. I wish you and your kitty the best and you
have obviously been an exemplary cat mom to have her live so long and happily.
I'm sure you will do what is best for her.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old June 4th 04, 10:19 PM
Lisa Horton

Thank you to everyone who offered help, both here and in email. I now
feel like I'm equipped to make a good decision, and I have.

Lisa
Old June 4th 04, 10:19 PM
Lisa Horton

Old June 7th 04, 04:24 AM
Sally

[...]

lisa, i iknow how you feel. i had to put my dog to sleep two years
ago. she had severe arthritis, could no longer walk or sit without
being in agony. in the end, the medications and needles didnt work and
my family made the decision. we didnt want her to be in pain any
longer and we all knew, deep down that it was cruel to keep her going
- just for us. its a very difficult thing to go through, but with time
and now that i look back. it was the right thing to do. i now candy is
now at rainbow bridge.

listen to what your heart says, i think you already know the answer.

sally.