Grandson

Old November 30th 10, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Default Grandson

Happy wrote:
snip

Your purrs and good thoughts seem to be working so please keep them
coming. This is going to be a long haul.

Continuing purrs until your grandson is well. Even though I don't know
him it upsets me to hear he's so unwell.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old November 30th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:31:39 -0500, Happy
wrote:

Finally on Thanksgiving we got a DX - our little guy has streptococcal
pneumonia with a complication of hus (hemolytic ureic syndrom) meaning
his blood platelets are dangerous low and he is in acute renal
failure. At the largest Children's Hospital in the world they have
only ever had 14 cases of HUS - his is the second for Chicago
Children's Memorial Hospital. Usually HUS appears during/after an
E.Coli infection, but several pneumonias can trigger it as well.

Oh, lots of purrs for the little one and family members.
Old November 30th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

still purring, Lee
"Happy" wrote in message
Finally on Thanksgiving we got a DX - our little guy has streptococcal
pneumonia with a complication of hus (hemolytic ureic syndrom) meaning
his blood platelets are dangerous low and he is in acute renal
failure. At the largest Children's Hospital in the world they have
only ever had 14 cases of HUS - his is the second for Chicago
Children's Memorial Hospital. Usually HUS appears during/after an
E.Coli infection, but several pneumonias can trigger it as well.

He wil be in the hospital at least a month. He's being given blood
(to raise his platelets), 2 different antibiotics for the pneumonia,
steriods for the lungs, he is on a dialysis for the kidneys,
intravenous feeding, chest tube to drain the fluid OUTSIDE his lungs.
To facilitate the latter they use a thumping therapy - using a special
vibrator on his chese - looks like a mini shake weight - to break up
and drain the fluid. He cannot have surgery right now because of his
platelet level, but the docs say this treatment is equally effective.
It seems painful but he seemed to like it. The therapist said most
patient do like it and prefer it over cupping therapy.

The scenario likely went like this: He had a cold that did not appear
to be getting better. This was 2 weeks ago. His parents took him the
pediatrician who said it was just a lingering cold. A week later both
parents gto sick, maybe e.coli, other food poisioning or possibly the
norovirus. They recovered in days but little boy contined to get
sicker. At first his parents thought he had caught what they had.
But when they realized that he was not improving they again took him
the pediatrician who again said "just a cold" and prescribed some
cough medicine (kind of dismissing them, not listeneing to his chest
or getting an x-ray). They ARE changing pediatrician, although the
hospital docs say it could have all come on quite suddenly. After a
harrowing night they took him to Children's Hospital ER where he was
immediately scooped out of my daughter's DH's arms and surrounded by
10 people. It took so long to determine the type of pneumonia for
reasons explained, but I didn't understand. They WERE looking for
e.Coli when his kidneys failed so the HUS they did dx rather quickly.
For the pneumonia they had to determine if was strep, staph or 3 other
bacteria that I can't remember to make sure they give him the correct
antibiotics. He was also put on steriods

He is on his third type of pain medicine. The first one was
ineffective, morphine also didn't do that they wanted, dialudid made
him extremely agitataed, shaky and he had hallucinations, finally it
seems a fentanyl drip with fentanyl in the push button for spikes is
keeping him comfortable. Plus they can turn the drip up or down.
Keeps pretty him much sedated though. Apparently that's good because
it will keep him from trying to pull out the IV's, chest tube, etc.

It is so hard. He doesn't understand why mommy or daddy can't pick
him up. He wants to go "bye bye". They want him NPO to make sure his
kidneys rest and he so badly wants water, apple juice or apple cider.
All he can have is a wetted pink sponge on a stick to swab his lips
and mouth. They have a portable DVD player and his favorite DVD "Cars"
- he just listly watches, without emotion through 3/4 closed eyes.
He's usually a bright, perky happy little boy. Right now he has a
temp of 103 degrees F - the infectious diseases doctor says we should
expect the temp to go up and down for 6 weeks.

I got overwhelmed yesterday, plus I think I ate something that didn't
agree with me. I already have a very slow stomach and last surgery
was just 3 weeks ago. I woke up with a really raw feeling in my
stomach and very shaky. While visiting at his bed side I suddenly
felt like I was going to get sick. I RAN out of the PICU made it to
the bathroom and just vomited my guts out. My DH came after me and I
decided to go back to the hotel for awhile. In the elevator I got
that feeling again. Got off the elevator rounded the corner and
vomited again and again. Stress, I know it is. How embarrased was I?
Nurses came running - they called a code! - I just wanted maintenance
to get there and get it cleaned up! They put me a in wheelchair and
took me over to ER and had a nurse sit with me. The ER attending
tried to have me get checked out in the ER, but I said no, I knew it
was stress together with a possibility of food poisoning - but
probably just stress. They let me go and we returned to the Hotel
where I slept for a couple of hours. I had no fever, headache,
diarrhea, or body aches but I knew i couldn't take the chance of
exposing little boy to anything else. We left, agreeing with our
daughter that if I felt ill in the morning I would get a dx - not only
for my sake but for little boy's as well so we could inform his
doctors. We got home at 1:30 am. We are returning on Thursday. We
and the other grandparents are going to trade off being there so my
daughter and her DH can get breaks.

All of us have been really impressed and comforted by all the staff at
this hospital. Because he is in the PICU he has a nurse and tech
assigned to him 24/7. They sit in a vestibule just outside his room
and are dedicated only to him. They have all been so nice, patient,
answer questions readily or, if they can't, they immediately call
someon who can answer the question. I am truly thankful for all of
them.

Your purrs and good thoughts seem to be working so please keep them
coming. This is going to be a long haul.

Sophia

PS - at the request of my daughter, since I use my real name in my
profile and here, I am not giving out their names. Her profession has
already resulted in her having to file several restraining orders.
They appreciate all your purrs and the friendship you have all shown
me.

Old November 30th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

I've lit a candle for your grandson, I hope he soon gets better.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...l=eng&gi=Sophi

Old December 1st 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

We will be praying and purring mightily for the little one. We hope
he recovers very soon and completely. God bless him and your
family.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old December 1st 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Hope for an update soon that the antibiotics are doing their thing. Prayers
and purrs still coming that way.