Where is Everyone? Roll Call.

Old November 7th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Where is Everyone? Roll Call.

It may be a wise idea to have a private forum - how about rpca.org or
rpca.net. This way, there would be ZERO spammers, and everyone there
would be authentic. You can set forum software up to enable anyone to
join, or to require admin approval for new accounts. That's a sure way
to keep spammers at bay. Also, it could be set up so that only members
can read, which would put an end to most privacy issues.

I for one would be willing to set this up and even provide hosting for
it at a very low cost.
Old November 7th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Pat wrote:
It may be a wise idea to have a private forum

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. The posts would
be more organized, with different categories, even a variety of "OT"
categories. Can you see this too?

Start of a Category list:

--Purr requests for sick kitties
--Purr requests for sick people
--Other Purr Requests

--Cat Stories
--Photos
--Cat Health

Just scratching the surface....

Old November 7th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Pat wrote:
It may be a wise idea to have a private forum - how about rpca.org or
rpca.net. This way, there would be ZERO spammers, and everyone there
would be authentic. You can set forum software up to enable anyone to
join, or to require admin approval for new accounts. That's a sure way
to keep spammers at bay. Also, it could be set up so that only members
can read, which would put an end to most privacy issues.

Its a question of who owna and/or moderates the group.

We already have catslaves, and the RPCA facebook page, and we've had at
least two RPCA chat rooms (although both are probably defunct by now).
There's the two RPCA photo yahoo groups, and Felinitations the card exchange
group. All sorta kinda mostly work to a greater or lesser extent, but aren't
like here.

The one thing I like about Usenet is that its unmoderated and I can access
it from 'anywhere', and thats both a good thing and a bad thing.

Yowie

Old November 7th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Pat wrote:
Pat wrote:
It may be a wise idea to have a private forum

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. The posts would
be more organized, with different categories, even a variety of "OT"
categories. Can you see this too?

Start of a Category list:

--Purr requests for sick kitties
--Purr requests for sick people
--Other Purr Requests

--Cat Stories
--Photos
--Cat Health

Just scratching the surface....

Moderated groups have a habit of dying of anemea...
A failing arbiter is all that it takes.
Old November 7th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Sjouke Burry wrote:
Pat wrote:
Pat wrote:
It may be a wise idea to have a private forum

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. The posts
would be more organized, with different categories, even a variety
of "OT" categories. Can you see this too?

Start of a Category list:

--Purr requests for sick kitties
--Purr requests for sick people
--Other Purr Requests

--Cat Stories
--Photos
--Cat Health

Just scratching the surface....

Moderated groups have a habit of dying of anemea...
A failing arbiter is all that it takes.

The obvious way to get around that is to have a number of trusted
moderators, all of whom have the 'key' to the owner's seat if at any point
hte owner becomes absent.

The one good thing about moderated Usenet is that if you are in the Big 8
and appeal to the Big 8's managment team to replace the non-existant
moderator, it usually gets done. Yahoo groups, not so much. Dunno about
Google Groups, I don't tend to use them.

Yowie

Old November 7th 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Yowie" wrote
cshenk wrote:
Hehe Fidonet is still around! 1:275/100 is me.
telnet:\\shenks.synchro.net

OMG! I was on fidonet long before I discovered The Internet. Spent alot of
time on BBSs in my misspent youth and paid a very high price, too, since
my favourite BBS - with 10 lines! - was a long-distance call, and long
distance calls were not cheap back then (they're not cheap now, but in
comparison to back then, they're a steal).

Grin, lots of us left in the old doggie! The cooking echo in fact has a
higher traffic than the usenet one.

Old November 7th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Funny at the beginning of this conversation, the question if Facebook had
anything to do with the demise of the group and now someone is proposing
another split.

Old November 7th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Yowie wrote:
We already have catslaves, and the RPCA facebook page, and we've had at
least two RPCA chat rooms (although both are probably defunct by now).
There's the two RPCA photo yahoo groups, and Felinitations the card exchange
group. All sorta kinda mostly work to a greater or lesser extent, but aren't
like here.

The one thing I like about Usenet is that its unmoderated and I can access
it from 'anywhere', and thats both a good thing and a bad thing.

I don't see having a forum as a "split" I see it more as a way of
unification. There can be a Felinitations section as well as all the
rest, all in one place. Why wouldn't it be just as easy to access a
forum from 'anywhere' with a username and password?

Old November 7th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Pat" wrote in message
It may be a wise idea to have a private forum - how about rpca.org or
rpca.net. This way, there would be ZERO spammers, and everyone there
would be authentic. You can set forum software up to enable anyone to
join, or to require admin approval for new accounts. That's a sure way
to keep spammers at bay. Also, it could be set up so that only members
can read, which would put an end to most privacy issues.

I for one would be willing to set this up and even provide hosting for
it at a very low cost.

Not for me. Despite the proliferation of spam, I prefer unmoderated groups.
There are far too many moderated groups where the moderator feels free to
"kick someone off" simply because he or she dislikes the author (or subject)
of a post.

MaryL

Old November 8th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Yeah, that's the last thing I'd want to happen. I know I'm being maudlin
and probably glorifying "the good old days". But lately I've just been *SO*
missing some of the regulars here who have seemingly disappeared. For
example (and I'm not going to use RL names unless they were the names they
used when they posted here)...
..
Howard Berkowitz was a font of information for anything medical - his IQ
must have been off the scale. He was unfailingly kind and thoughtful and
willing to help anyone sort out their medical problems and what to ask their
doctor about, etc..

Sam Nash... well, when we were trying to get Hunter, a stray, fixed and
integrated into our clowder, but were strapped for cash, he sent us a check,
unsolicited (I'd never ask for a handout, here or anywhere else, while I
still had even one possession I could sell), for $200 to get Hunter neutered
and get vet care! Of course I repaid him within two weeks, but he'd said I
didn't have to, that when he sent it there were no strings attached. He
also gave my granddaughter a clarinet after Katrina, when they were enrolled
in school/band here but had lost their instruments in the flood (eating my
words now because I *did* accept it and other things people here sent to
them (they would not have had a Christmas that first year after Katrina if
it weren't for the people here who wanted to help), and I then only accepted
because it was for my *granddaughters* who'd just lost everything - home,
friends, clothes - *everything*). His generosity and infinitely loving
heart are beyond anyone I've ever known or heard of. He was my angel.

Helen, the bike enthusiast in the UK, was very patient and kind when I was
trying to put together a modern vehicle (I'd hadn't ridden a bike since my
childhood when there were only one-speed, fat-tired bikes). We had tons of
conversations about bicycling and, since there were some other bike
enthusiasts here, decided that cycling would not be off-topic (just as food
is not considered off-topic here).

And on and on and on - as I said, this group was almost magical to have
attracted so many kind and loving people who also shared their love of cats.
I've seen this group do marvelous things, acts of charity and kindness,
making real-life miracles. I just miss it, that's all

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Pat" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
It may be a wise idea to have a private forum

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. The posts would
be more organized, with different categories, even a variety of "OT"
categories. Can you see this too?

Start of a Category list:

--Purr requests for sick kitties
--Purr requests for sick people
--Other Purr Requests

--Cat Stories
--Photos
--Cat Health

Just scratching the surface....

[Felinitations] Roll Call Yowie Cat anecdotes 2 September 19th 09 10:13 PM
Roll-a-cat Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 3 November 9th 08 02:17 PM
Kitty Roll Call for a possible book Tanada Cat anecdotes 18 May 24th 06 01:58 PM
Kitty Roll Call for a possible book [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 May 21st 06 09:49 PM
Morning Roll Call JHBennett Cat anecdotes 1 October 1st 03 03:46 AM