OT - Taste Buds (again)

Old November 18th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Taste Buds (again)

Sorry to impose this off-topic post on the group again, but this is getting
really, really bad.

As most of you know, I'm struggling desperately to gain some weight, but to
do that I have to eat, and I can't eat with this constant bad taste in my
mouth. Even brushing my tongue vigorously with a strong, mint-flavored
toothpaste doesn't work. 60 seconds after doing so, the bad taste is back
again. It literally tastes like the inside of a garbage dump.

DH just keeps telling me to "eat it any way", but it isn't that easy. I
have *absolutely* no desire to put anything into my mouth and it makes it
hard to even swallow a mouthful of food (as soon as the food gets into my
mouth, it also tastes like the inside of a trashcan - try choking down
rotting garbage instead of spitting it out again, DH). Right now I'm
forcing myself to suck on a peppermint hard candy and, yes, that too tastes
like garbage and makes it worse because the mint seems to coat my mouth even
more.

I am open to any suggestion of a solution, *ANY SUGGESTION OF A SOLUTION AT
ALL* - even if it will work for only five minutes.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm really getting desperate here - it's at the
point that I'm finding it difficult to get up and walk a few feet - my body
is too weak to even try anymore. I know that I'm in a downward spiral
that's only going to get worse, but I don't know how to break that vicious
cycle.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 18th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs that somebody can help you. That sounds truly horrible!

--

Joy

A miracle is something that is impossible until it happens. - from "Kids
Rite the Darndest Things" by Art Linkletter

Old November 18th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

[...]

What about that topical freezing stuff we can put on a sore tooth or gum?
Maybe you can freeze your tongue and the inside of your cheeks before
eating? It might last long enough to eat a bit. Just a wild thought.

Bobble
Old November 18th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
karla

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Well, if you can't eat how about drinking. There are lots of high calorie
liquid supplements on the market, Ensure comes to mind but I know there are
others.

At least you wouldn't have to chew!
Karla

Old November 18th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On 11/17/2010 7:26 PM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Hi Lori,

The first thought that came to me was a vitamin deficiency, especially
zinc, which can cause a bad taste in the mouth and lack of appetite.
Being that you have digestion problems, that MIGHT be part of it. Can
you get zinc lozenges and maybe a liquid vitamin supplement, so your
body won't have to do too much to absorb it? You might want to eat
something icy or chili pepper hot, that way your taste buds will be
numbed and may not notice the taste. Maybe Carol can help there - she
probably has lots of recipes that will blow your taste buds out of the
water. G You could try drinking soup through a straw, making sure the
liquid gets back past the taste buds, if possible. Have you tried one of
the liquid meal substitutes, again trying it icy cold. Have you
consulted with a homeopath? They might have some ideas that can help.
The most drastic thing to have done is a ng tube - just temporarily, but
it might get you past the critical point.

I will try to think of some more things that might help. (if you smell
wood burning, 'tis my brain frying. G)

Purrs enroute,
Patti aka Mishi
Old November 18th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Sorry to impose this off-topic post on the group again, but this is
getting really, really bad.

(snippage)
I am open to any suggestion of a solution, *ANY SUGGESTION OF A SOLUTION
AT ALL* - even if it will work for only five minutes.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm really getting desperate here - it's at
the point that I'm finding it difficult to get up and walk a few feet - my
body is too weak to even try anymore. I know that I'm in a downward
spiral that's only going to get worse, but I don't know how to break that
vicious cycle.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Drink Ensure. Or milkshakes. Or Ensure milkshakes. I know you don't feel
like eating but when you do eat, eat carbs. Lots of carbs. Peanut butter
toast, crackers, noodles. And protein. Eggs; grilled cheese sandwiches.

Jill

Old November 18th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Thank you - all are great suggestions and definitely something I can bring
up to my doctor. You could well be right about the vitamins/minerals - I've
forgotten all about taking my supplements lately (this whole "bed-ridden"
existence has so messed up my life so that I don't have a "normal" routine
any more).

You've also reminded me, I need to make a follow-up visit with my
nutritionist (and that's something that needs to be done before the end of
the year and my insurance deductible kicks in again).

Also, to you and those who suggested the liquid nutrition drinks, it's an
excellent idea but (don't ask me why) they make me more nauseated than solid
foods.

Again, thanks so much for the advice.

Old November 18th 10, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Here's the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgeusia

Hope this helps with your research

Yowie

Old November 18th 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dberrycat

On Nov 17, 9:21*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
snip
Also, to you and those who suggested the liquid nutrition drinks, it's an
excellent idea but (don't ask me why) they make me more nauseated than solid
foods.

snip

Try drinking the nutritional drinks with a straw and direct the fluid
to the back
of your throat, missing your tongue as much as possible. Drinking the
drinks
very cold may help. Very cold things have less smell and usually less
taste.
There used to be a throat lozenge called Sucrets that numbed your
mouth (actually
for sore throats), including your tongue. I used them as a kid and
they made
EVERYTHING pretty tasteless.

Purrs for your better health.

Debbie
Old November 18th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Thank you all so much - you gave me quite a number of avenues to discuss
with my doctor (I see my allergist this afternoon and I'm going to start
there). For instance, I would not have thought about it being a dental
problem DUH!

I would never had as many questions to ask or clues to follow without your
help (I'm really *NOT* a good web researcher, I'm too OCD and get bogged
down and frustrated two pages in), so again, bless you all for your concern
and help. I'll let you know if/when we find an answer.