OT - Taste Buds (again)

Old November 20th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default OT - Taste Buds (again)

"Mishi" wrote in message
On 11/17/2010 7:26 PM, CatNipped wrote:
Sorry to impose this off-topic post on the group again, but this is
getting
really, really bad.

As most of you know, I'm struggling desperately to gain some weight, but
do that I have to eat, and I can't eat with this constant bad taste in my
mouth. Even brushing my tongue vigorously with a strong, mint-flavored
toothpaste doesn't work. 60 seconds after doing so, the bad taste is
back
again. It literally tastes like the inside of a garbage dump.

DH just keeps telling me to "eat it any way", but it isn't that easy. I
have *absolutely* no desire to put anything into my mouth and it makes it
hard to even swallow a mouthful of food (as soon as the food gets into my
mouth, it also tastes like the inside of a trashcan - try choking down
rotting garbage instead of spitting it out again, DH). Right now I'm
forcing myself to suck on a peppermint hard candy and, yes, that too
tastes
like garbage and makes it worse because the mint seems to coat my mouth
even
more.

I am open to any suggestion of a solution, *ANY SUGGESTION OF A SOLUTION
AT
ALL* - even if it will work for only five minutes.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm really getting desperate here - it's at
the
point that I'm finding it difficult to get up and walk a few feet - my
body
is too weak to even try anymore. I know that I'm in a downward spiral
that's only going to get worse, but I don't know how to break that
vicious
cycle.

Hi Lori,

The first thought that came to me was a vitamin deficiency, especially
zinc, which can cause a bad taste in the mouth and lack of appetite. Being
that you have digestion problems, that MIGHT be part of it. Can you get
zinc lozenges and maybe a liquid vitamin supplement, so your body won't
have to do too much to absorb it? You might want to eat something icy or
chili pepper hot, that way your taste buds will be numbed and may not
notice the taste. Maybe Carol can help there - she probably has lots of
recipes that will blow your taste buds out of the water. G You could try
drinking soup through a straw, making sure the liquid gets back past the
taste buds, if possible. Have you tried one of the liquid meal
substitutes, again trying it icy cold. Have you consulted with a
homeopath? They might have some ideas that can help. The most drastic
thing to have done is a ng tube - just temporarily, but it might get you
past the critical point.

I will try to think of some more things that might help. (if you smell
wood burning, 'tis my brain frying. G)

Purrs enroute,
Patti aka Mishi

Interestingly, it seems that either too much or too little zinc can cause
this problem. I have read about some people developing permanent
smell/taste impairment due to too much zinc. So, it may be that she and her
doctor should evaluate her complete intake (supplememts, medications, etc.).

MaryL

Old November 20th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Happy

Catnipped,

Did your allergist have any insights for you?

Sophia

Old November 20th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

No, actually I didn't even get to see the doctor - they just did the 30
pokes on the back thing. Luckily I had no reactions but didn't realize the
my Phenergan could alter the test results. They're doing more tests next
Wednesday and I'll get to see the doctor then.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 21st 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Happy

Oh, ick I remember those tests - had them done when I was 8. I had
reactions to everything but d*g dander. I remember it so vividly
because it was right before Thanksgiving, I had shown reactions to
wheat AND all the "backup" stuff, like barley, so that particular
holiday I only got to eat the mashed potatoes and a few greenbeans...I
took shots until I was 22 (giving them to myself, I don't think they
allow that now because of adverse reactions. They make you wait in
the office 20 minutes after a shot). in any event, I just stopped
them at 22 - because I didn't have the funds to pay for them. Turns
out its only grass that causes severe problems for me, not any food
stuffs. OTC med works during that season. Apparently it is not
uncommon for those who had allergies as a child to outgrow them and
those that don't as a child to develop them in adulthood. Happened to
my DH.

Next time you'll probably get the shots in the arm - it's not bad
unless you react, then it's really itchy.

Phenergan can scew the results? I didn't know, how interesting.

Sophia

Old November 21st 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

"Happy" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, I was just going to reply that I was surprised by how few even slight
reactions I had - when I was younger the reactions were really extreme.
Even the honey bee sting test (done through bloodwork take so as not to
accidentally send me into anaphalactic shock) showed only a small reaction
(when I was young I had to be rushed to the ER and had a trach becaue of a
bee sting.

Next time you'll probably get the shots in the arm - it's not bad
unless you react, then it's really itchy.

Phenergan can scew the results? I didn't know, how interesting.

Yep, I was surprised by that too - apparently it has an antihistimine in it.
Even NSAIDS and beta-blockers pose a problem (but they limit your not taking
them to that day, not the 5 days like everything else - they don't want you
to have a heart attack and then sue ;).

Old November 27th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:26:19 -0600, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I am open to any suggestion of a solution, *ANY SUGGESTION OF A SOLUTION AT
ALL* - even if it will work for only five minutes.

I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm really getting desperate here - it's at the
point that I'm finding it difficult to get up and walk a few feet - my body
is too weak to even try anymore. I know that I'm in a downward spiral
that's only going to get worse, but I don't know how to break that vicious
cycle.

With as much medicines you have had, and as down as your metabolism
is; the taste in your mouth is probably from an opportunistic fungus.
I have to brush my tongue, and rinse and gargle with diluted vinegar.
I hope that helps.

--
CATherine
Old November 28th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

I've never heard of the vinegar treatment - sounds sensible and do-able. I
did start using mouth wash, but I couldn't stand the old, strong Listerine.
I tried the other, milder stuff, and the dentist also recommended Biotene
(it's specially made for people with dry-mouth), but that stuff is like $15
for a 16oz bottle.

Old November 29th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:09:14 -0600, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I've never heard of the vinegar treatment - sounds sensible and do-able. I
did start using mouth wash, but I couldn't stand the old, strong Listerine.
I tried the other, milder stuff, and the dentist also recommended Biotene
(it's specially made for people with dry-mouth), but that stuff is like $15
for a 16oz bottle.

That is expensive! I never use regular mouthwash. I learned years ago
that although it kills germs, it also kills the beneficial bacteria in
the mouth; and it takes time for them to grow back. But there is never
enough time with daily rinsing.

I used to be a Home Health Aide. The Nurses I worked with told me
about vinegar and fungus. They often used it diluted to soak fungoid
toenails.

--
CATherine
Old November 29th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

I've never heard of the vinegar treatment - sounds sensible and do-able.
did start using mouth wash, but I couldn't stand the old, strong
Listerine.
I tried the other, milder stuff, and the dentist also recommended Biotene
(it's specially made for people with dry-mouth), but that stuff is like
$15
for a 16oz bottle.

That is expensive! I never use regular mouthwash. I learned years ago
that although it kills germs, it also kills the beneficial bacteria in
the mouth; and it takes time for them to grow back. But there is never
enough time with daily rinsing.

I used to be a Home Health Aide. The Nurses I worked with told me
about vinegar and fungus. They often used it diluted to soak fungoid
toenails.

"Opportunistic fungus" is often candida albicans, ie, thrush.

It moves in when 'good' bacteria in our mouths (and elsewhere) die off.

I almost invariably get thrush after a dose of antibiotics, and the oral
variety is much harder to treat, IMHO, than the other variety. A diluted
vinegar rinse will help with both areas, as it kills off the fungus, and
makes acidifies the environment somewhat, which the 'friendly' bacteria like
more. Alas, vinegar isn't so good for the teeth. A salt water gargle will
also discourage thrush.

If you can, eat 'live' yoghurt to bolster the 'good' bacteria count in your
body.

Yowie

Old December 1st 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:45:12 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

My Granny used to use baking soda for brushing her teeth and gargling.
But I prefer warm salt water. Although soda does make a good tooth
scrubber to get rid of sticky, gummy food.

--
CATherine