Cat food - dry/wet (this has probably been discussed a thousand times already)

Old September 29th 03, 12:56 PM
Karen

in article , Shellie at
wrote on 9/29/03 3:05 AM:

Hey everyone,

I've got two 2 y/o ragdoll kittens - Karma and Cocoa - who I've fed with dry
food in the morning and throughout the day (Hills Science) and wet food for
dinner (Whiska's canned or pouches).. When I took my babies to the vet
recently to get their vaccinations updated, the vet advised that I take them
off the wet food and give them just dry food. I always thought it was good
to have variety because there are some things the cats get out of wet but
not dry food, and vice versa.. But the vet said that the dry would be better
for their teeth and would get them drinking more water (my cats are big fans
of water, I'm not sure they need much more!).
Cocoa has to go back and get his teeth cleaned, which he's being sedated for
(which I'm also a bit concerned about).. but Karma's teeth are fine..

So what I'm wondering is, if I start giving the boys dry food constantly, is
it going to upset their routine at all? Are they going to think I just
haven't fed them at night and not eat because they're waiting for their wet
food? Or is the vet just crazy and should I stick to the routine that has
worked so far. We've also just moved house, which caused a bit of tension
for all of us, but I'm pleased to say I think we (including the cats) all
handled it well, and my kitties are loving the new house

I know I should have asked the vet this, but even so, it's good to have some
more opinions..

Thanks

--
Shellie ^.,.^

That is just plain *silly* advice. They HAVE to drink more to stay healthy,
but it certainly won't guarantee it and boys have a terrible time with
urinary problems if they don't get enough water. I think that is terrible
advice, and it sounds to me as though the doctor is not up on the most
recent cat veterinary research. More and more do NOT recommend dry only
diets. It is merely a convenience for the owner and not of benefit to the
cat.
Karen

Old September 29th 03, 02:39 PM
~*SooZy*~

"Shellie" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Shellie, I have Ragdolls too :-) their teeth should be clean at that
age! could you take them off whiskers and try introducing some raw instead,
gradually introduce it... or find a better wet food than whiskers! it isn't
very good food! are you in the UK? if so try from waitrose, Yarrah Organic
Cat. I think tesco's or sainsbury's do it too. Denes is another good one
too.
good luck

Old September 29th 03, 03:54 PM
Yngver

[...]

Well, I hesitate to say your vet is crazy, but there are plenty of vets who
recommend canned food over dry. My vet's opinion is the opposite of yours. He
says that although some think that dry food helps clean the teeth, there is no
evidence of that other than with some of the special dental diets. And in fact,
cats that consume only dry food are less likely to get sufficient water than
cats that eat canned food.

If it were me, yes, I'd ignore the vet and keep feeding canned food. You may
want to feed a little dental diet dry food or treats, or try to start brushing
their teeth, to improve dental health. Since one of your cats needs a cleaning
at only two years of age, I'd suspect a genetic tendency toward dental
problems. If you can manage it, regular brushing might help considerably.

Old September 29th 03, 04:58 PM
Philip ®

In ,
PawsForThought being of bellicose mind
posted:
There is much debate about the efficacy of dry food for cleaning
teeth. In my experience, many cats just swallow kibble without
chewing enough to get any benefit from the dry food. I give my
cats chicken gizzards for their teeth. I feed them raw but if you
don't want to, you can just braise them in some butter. As far as
drinking more, again in my experience some cats will drink more
when fed dry food, but many don't, and then they can get urinary
tract problems.

I'm sure you'll got lots of opinions here as food is a much debate
topic

Meanwhile, here is an excellent article on feline nutrition:
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/feedingyourcat.html

Lauren

I take a proctologist's view. If whatever the cat eats produces a
smooth turd in the litter box, that's the diet he/she gets. If the
feces looks forced, hard, evidence of constipation, I experiment
until the "evidence" looks normal. Pretty simple, eh?
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"