Shots?

Old June 11th 04, 05:08 PM
Jim Foyle

Default Shots?

I need advice on shots for my cat.

The vet routinely administers the following shots annually:
FELV Feline Leukemia
FIP Feline Infectious Paratinitus
FIV Feline Immune Virus (cat AIDS)
FVRCP/C Feline distemper

He also administers rabies shots at the same time.

I went ahead with the rabies shot because it is required by law. I
postponed all other shots until I could find out more about them.

Clearly they are not necessary, but are they desirable, and if so on
what basis?

Let me try to summarize my uneasiness. The feline leukemia brochure
discloses that this vaccination does not always prevent leukemia. Now it
seems to me that there is some risk to a small animal in shots like
this, so how does the less-than-certain benefit of this shot outweigh
the risk of giving the shot?

In other words if there is a definite, significant benefit, then fine,
my little guy gets the shots. But if the benefit isn't definite, or
isn't significant, then I'm inclined to spare him.

What I'm getting at is that once upon a time it was sincerely believed
that tonsilectomies were a good idea for humans. Many infants had their
tonsils removed as a matter of course. Far too many. But it turns out,
it was not a good idea, especially not as a preventive measure.
Tonsilectomies are no longer performed except for good reason.

I mistrust serious procedures performed as a matter of course. Shots for
small animals are serious. The vaccines themselves are poisonous and may
have adverse consequences.

So I'm looking for explanations, shot by shot. Benefits if any, and how
significant? Risk if any, and how serious? Adverse effects, and how
would I know?

In case it helps, the little guy is a neutered domestic shorthair, and
mostly an outdoor cat. He is about 1-1/2 years old, alert and in good
health.

Thanks in advance

--
Jim

Old June 11th 04, 07:41 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I need advice on shots for my cat.

The vet routinely administers the following shots annually:
FELV Feline Leukemia
FIP Feline Infectious Paratinitus
FIV Feline Immune Virus (cat AIDS)
FVRCP/C Feline distemper

He also administers rabies shots at the same time.

Note: many vaccines are not 100% reliable.

FeLV vaccine is recommended only for high-risk cats.

There is no good vaccine for FIP, as FIP is now known to be a mutated
strain of the coronavirus. It is the coronavirus that causes it and it
mutates in the cat's body. No vaccine will prevent it. The vaccine for
FIP was completely ineffective. If the vaccine is actually for
coronavirus, which nearly 80% of cats, it is probably not worth getting.
95% of cats who get coronavirus never develop FIP from it and they are
usually exposed as young kittens. I'd pass on that one.

FIV vaccine is recommended for high-risk cats (outdoor cats or cats in
multicat environments such as catteries) only. Note that vaccinated cats
will TEST POSITIVE even though they aren't sick. This can be a problem,
as the vaccine isn't 100% - so you won't know if your cat is sick or
not.

Distemper combo vaccine is a necessity.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/Public/FHC/vaccbr.html
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11790
http://www.southpaws.com/topics/felv.html

~kaeli~
The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to
Finland. Now Santa Claus is missing.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old June 11th 04, 07:41 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old June 11th 04, 07:41 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old June 11th 04, 10:56 PM
Yngver

Jim Foyle" wrote:

need advice on shots for my cat.

Well, here's my advice, based on that of my vet's and the American Association
of Feline Practitioners:

The vet routinely administers the following shots annually:
FELV Feline Leukemia

Only for cats at risk.This vaccination is not recommended for indoor only cats
or cats that only go outdoors with supervision.

FIP Feline Infectious Paratinitus

Not recommended for routine use. Questionable effectiveness.

FIV Feline Immune Virus (cat AIDS)

Not recommended for routine use; once a cat is vaccinated he/she will always
test positive for FIV and there is currently no test to distinguish between
infection and vaccination. FIV is only spread through deep bite wounds;
therefore at risk cats are those that roam outside and fight.

FVRCP/C Feline distemper

Highly recommended. The protocol is every three years once the primary
vaccination and booster (usually when the cat was a kitten) have been given.

He also administers rabies shots at the same time.

As you note, usually required by local or state law.

I went ahead with the rabies shot because it is required by law. I
postponed all other shots until I could find out more about them.

Clearly they are not necessary, but are they desirable, and if so on
what basis?

Let me try to summarize my uneasiness. The feline leukemia brochure
discloses that this vaccination does not always prevent leukemia. Now it
seems to me that there is some risk to a small animal in shots like
this, so how does the less-than-certain benefit of this shot outweigh
the risk of giving the shot?

It only outweighs the risk if the cat is at high risk for becoming infected
with FeLV.

In other words if there is a definite, significant benefit, then fine,
my little guy gets the shots. But if the benefit isn't definite, or
isn't significant, then I'm inclined to spare him.

If it were me, and he is an indoor cat or goes outside but doesn't roam, I'd
just give the FVRCP every three years, and the rabies because you have to. And
that happens to be exactly what our cat clinic recommends.

Old June 12th 04, 02:16 AM
Luvskats00

I begin to wonder about shots for indoor only cats.
Old June 12th 04, 02:16 AM
Luvskats00

I begin to wonder about shots for indoor only cats.
Old June 12th 04, 02:16 AM
Luvskats00

I begin to wonder about shots for indoor only cats.