Icarus & UTI

Old January 22nd 05, 03:38 AM
Cat Protector

Well after talking with someone else who's cat had UTI they pretty much
thought that monitoring his litterbox usage might be the only reason but
cats using another litterbox would not be harmful. I decided to just add
another litterbox to the bathroom and make sure he knows where it is. I
think regardless of the second litterbox, I'll check from time to time to
make sure he is using the litterbox without problems. I am going to add the
prescription food to the cat dishes with small doses of the regular as a
preventative to the other cats from getting UTI. Icarus is also on
anti-biotics so I don't forsee not being seperated as being a problem. The
vet did say that the food he was eating might be part of the problem.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"KellyH" wrote in message
"Cat Protector" wrote in message
newsCiId.1338$8Q.940@okepread06...
As I sit here pondering this, has anyone else had a vet recommend a cat
with UTI be separated from the other cats because of a litterbox or
because a special food was prescribed? It did sound strange to me when
the vet recommended it.

No, but I don't think it would hurt. It would make it easier to monitor
his litterbox usage.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 22nd 05, 04:00 AM
Cat Protector

Well he has ant-biotics. I added another litterbox to the bathroom and
showed him where it is. When we got home he used the litterbox without a
problem. He also is using the second litterbox so I'll monitor it. I
separated him from the other cats for a couple of hours and he used the
litterbox without a problem. I also added the special diet food to the bowls
mixed with the regular food so he will not only have an easier time
switching to it but so will the other cats so it can help prevent further
UTI. After reading what others here have had to say, I think it will be safe
to allow him the run of the house. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts
with me.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

That's true. He may be worried that if the crystal situation worsens,
Icarus
might block and this way it will be obvious if he isn't going. Grant's
crystals were like sludge. The second time it happened I was on it pronto
(Grant never went outside the box, but he would leave his food to go to
the
box which was highly unusual and I could see he couldn't go). Changing
his
food to mostly high quality wet with urinary tract dry as just a small
nibble and a Feliway diffuser and he has not had a problem since.

Old January 22nd 05, 05:07 AM
Johnna O'Leary via CatKB.com

I'm so glad to hear that you caught Icarus' problem before it got too late. My cat blocked three times very close together because despite following the vet's instructions and being very vigilant with his care, we were unable to clear up his infection. Thank god we seem to have resolved his problem. After the seige I went through with my baby I think I've read more about urinary problems than most vets. I suspect that the reason your vet wanted you to keep Icarus separate forlitter use is partly because you'll have to monitor his urine output without the confusion of other cats using the same box and also because a cat will sometimes hold its urine if the litter has been used or is not as clean as they would like it. Urinary retention is a major problem for cats who are prone to or recovering from UTI.

From experience, I've found that it is best to treat the infection with antibiotics for 30 days to ensure that all the infection has cleared up. I made the mistake of treating him for 10 days the first two times and the infection returned. It was not until I found a great vet and kept him on the antibiotics for a full month that we were able to kick it. I have also found that canned food helps to keep the cat hydrated and the urine dilute and prevent urine retention. I will never feed my cat dry food again due to his urinary tract problems. You really have to be on top of things when your cat starts having urinary tract problems (as I'm sure you know). Best of luck with your kitty.

Old January 22nd 05, 05:35 AM
Cat Protector

Thanks. After seeing others post I decided to not separate him but instead
add an extra litterboxto the bathroom and monitor his usage when I am home.
I also mixed his special diet food in with the regular food so he can easily
switch to the diet and I can also have the cats eat it as a preventative.
Icarus also has to take medication for the next 3 weeks for it.

--

"Johnna O'Leary via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I'm so glad to hear that you caught Icarus' problem before it got too
late. My cat blocked three times very close together because despite
following the vet's instructions and being very vigilant with his care, we
were unable to clear up his infection. Thank god we seem to have resolved
his problem. After the seige I went through with my baby I think I've read
more about urinary problems than most vets. I suspect that the reason your
vet wanted you to keep Icarus separate forlitter use is partly because
you'll have to monitor his urine output without the confusion of other
cats using the same box and also because a cat will sometimes hold its
urine if the litter has been used or is not as clean as they would like
it. Urinary retention is a major problem for cats who are prone to or
recovering from UTI.

From experience, I've found that it is best to treat the infection with
antibiotics for 30 days to ensure that all the infection has cleared up. I
made the mistake of treating him for 10 days the first two times and the
infection returned. It was not until I found a great vet and kept him on
the antibiotics for a full month that we were able to kick it. I have also
found that canned food helps to keep the cat hydrated and the urine dilute
and prevent urine retention. I will never feed my cat dry food again due
to his urinary tract problems. You really have to be on top of things when
your cat starts having urinary tract problems (as I'm sure you know). Best
of luck with your kitty.

Old January 22nd 05, 02:15 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

I previously posted about another topic regarding peeing inappropriate
places. I just had Icarus checked as it was originally thought he was
spraying as a result of territory dispute. The vet confirmed that he did
have UTI (although they did state that spraying or urinating in places other
than the litterbox doesn't always mean a cat has UTI) and he is going to be
on anti-biotics for a few weeks. He also has to be on a special diet as
well. The vet also instructed me that he also needs to be confined to a
separate room for a while with his own food, water, and litterbox. I put him
in the bedroom so he'd be at least a little more comfortable than a small
bathroom. I also had to put his food and water on top of a bureau so I
wouldn't have problems with ants. The cats will have the main room to sleep
in and also have the dining area to eat but no access to the bedroom. Once
his condition clears up they'll all be sharing everything.

I have decided to switch all the cats on the same food as a precaution.
Though they all did fine on the stuff I was feeding them I would rather
prevent the other cats from getting what Icarus has now. The UTI was caught
early which was a good thing. The vet was also good and was very patient
when handling Icarus because he's a fireball when it comes to doctors. The
vet didn't talk down to me and I actually got to be present when he was with
Icarus unlike others that make you wait in another room or only do the
initial exam in front of you. He also showed me the urine sample as well as
showed me under the microscope so I could see the crystals for myself. My
parents have been happy with this vet ever since they adopted their two dogs
(it seems Animal Control recommends them for the first free adoption exam).
At least this vet is better than the last one our family used.

Anyway, if you suspect UTI then get the cat checked out at the vet. Catching
the signs early can really be the best thing and you also avoid having the
cat worked on surgically which is a lot more expensive than the $140 I had
to pay (that included the exams, shots, urinalysis, anti-biotic shot, pills,
first bad of special diet food, and of course the liquid anti-biotic. As
high as the price was for me, it was a small price to pay for Icarus' well
being not to mention that I now have a good vet for my cats. I learned
something new as I was never faced with a cat having UTI before. The vet
said that if it wasn't caught early then it could have cost at least $300. I
guess I saved some money and also got Icarus the help he needs. Maybe he
might be a little calmer with other cats in the process.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Oh! Timely post for me. I hope I can get Mingy to the vet's
TODAY! How long had Icarus been urinating inappropriately before
you got him to the vet? How did you get the urine sample? I know
this has been discussed, but I don't know that I can use the
methods I have seen (meaning I have doubt that Mingy would
cooperate).
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 02:23 PM
Jean B.

Cat Protector wrote:

Thanks. After seeing others post I decided to not separate him but instead
add an extra litterboxto the bathroom and monitor his usage when I am home.
I also mixed his special diet food in with the regular food so he can easily
switch to the diet and I can also have the cats eat it as a preventative.
Icarus also has to take medication for the next 3 weeks for it.

Is this medication a pill? How many times a day does it have to
be administered? My daughter will probably have to do that, since
she is good at opening Mingy's mouth. Oh joy!

--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 03:01 PM
---MIKE---

Antibiotics frequently cause the runs so it would be a good idea to get
some acidolphulos (sp) capsules from the refrigerated section of a
health food store. If the problem develops, open a capsule and mix the
powder in with the canned food. It has no flavor so Icarus won't know
it's there. DON'T get tablets at the supermarket - they may not work.
I am not a vet so you might want to run this by your vet.

---MIKE---

Old January 22nd 05, 03:44 PM
Jean B.

---MIKE--- wrote:

Antibiotics frequently cause the runs so it would be a good idea to get
some acidolphulos (sp) capsules from the refrigerated section of a
health food store. If the problem develops, open a capsule and mix the
powder in with the canned food. It has no flavor so Icarus won't know
it's there. DON'T get tablets at the supermarket - they may not work.
I am not a vet so you might want to run this by your vet.

---MIKE---

Reading this thread too. I have some. I think, given the fact
that Mingy is long-haired, I will try to remember to have the vet
cut a "poop chute". Otherwise...
--
Jean B.
Old January 22nd 05, 03:49 PM
Cat Protector

He gets both a liquid and a pill. The liquid medication he has to take twice
a day and the pill only once a day. You need to wrap the cat in a towel like
a burrito and then administer the meds. Icarus is pretty tough so it took a
couple of tries to get the pill in his mouth.