Survey

Old April 9th 05, 12:45 AM
Ashley

"CatNipped" wrote in message
There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or
even wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the experiences
people here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some data
that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that you'll
have the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in
brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased in
a provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking for or
giving opinions, only data.]

How many cats to you currently live with?

2

What are their ages and sex?

10, 10.5 both nuetered toms

Are they purebred or moggies?

Moggies. But Tahi likes to think he's special.

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Both neutered around 6mths

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

No

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

They've both been on Hills prescription C/D because Cassius has had one
instance of FLUTD, and trying to keep them out of each other's food is
impossible. And you can only get dry here, so that's been it. However,
while talking about it the other day, the vet said new evidence suggested
that, long-term, it wasn't good with cats for FLUTD to be on an acidic diet,
and I should look to introduce some mature cat maintenance food in there as
well. So it looks like, to their great pleasure, they will be getting some
high-quality canned every second or third meal as well. But only ones
without any red meat, because Cassius also has mild IBD and ain't allowed
anywhere near read met.

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

You know the answer to this one ;-) Indoor/outoor, with free access to the
outdoors during the day, through a cat door. Judging on their behaviour when
I'm home, they spend about 2-3 hours a day outside, the rest of it sleeping
inside.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

Including childhood pets and flatmates' (roommates') pets, lots! Counting
up, about 12.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats
in particular?

No

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

No books. Quite a few articles.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

Sorry, none have stuck in my mind.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

See above for Cassius. Learning to deal with arthritis with Tahi now.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a
cat?

Yes. After an op, Cassius was in a lot of pain and, after much taking him
back to the vet every time he was in distress again, they finally agreed to
give me the painkiller (the name of which I can't remember) to give him at
home, with firm instructions not to let anyone know I had it there and bring
the used needles back to the vet's rather than disposing of them through the
rubbish, as I didn't want junkies breaking into my house hunting for drugs!
I had to inject him twice a day for about 5 days. I'm just glad it was
Cassius - he doesn't put up a fight with such things.

Old April 9th 05, 01:26 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 08 Apr 2005 06:46:28p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

yes

What did you do?

Well, see that's why I didn't answer it fully because I felt
uncomfortable about stating such things (there's always someone who
is going to say its boasting). However, I will since you asked for
specifics. Fostered cats, adoption events, low-cost shot clinic
volunteer, grant writing. That's where Shamrock came from - he was
one of my fosters who didn't do well at adoption events. Plus I
adored him from the start.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what
were they?

unfortunately, yes. megacolon, IBD, FELV, URIs (shelter "side-
effect")

[...]
Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected
medicines to a cat?

yes

Was it hard to do, were you queasy at first, if so how long did
it take you to get used to doing it?

It was hard. It wasn't subQ fluids, it was a subQ medication. I
posted all about my experience with it here. Maybe Mary could
remember back then for you and post a link.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Old April 9th 05, 01:39 AM
CatNipped

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 06:46:28p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

yes

What did you do?

Well, see that's why I didn't answer it fully because I felt
uncomfortable about stating such things (there's always someone who
is going to say its boasting). However, I will since you asked for
specifics. Fostered cats, adoption events, low-cost shot clinic
volunteer, grant writing. That's where Shamrock came from - he was
one of my fosters who didn't do well at adoption events. Plus I
adored him from the start.

I've never fostered before - I don't think I could and then give up the cat.
Like pople who foster children, I admire the ability to do it, but don't
think I could. It takes a special kind of love to be able to give up the
one you love for their benefit.

I get *way* too emotional (surprised?? ;) to do any hands-on work at rescue
organizations, I couldn't be effective if I were crying all the time or
going off on jerks who harmed animals either deliberately *or* through
ignorance - I'd probably get myself arrested! ;?

The grant writing I might be able to do. For now though I take the easy way
out and assuage my conscience by giving money.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what
were they?

unfortunately, yes. megacolon, IBD, FELV, URIs (shelter "side-
effect")

[...]
Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected
medicines to a cat?

yes

Was it hard to do, were you queasy at first, if so how long did
it take you to get used to doing it?

It was hard. It wasn't subQ fluids, it was a subQ medication. I
posted all about my experience with it here. Maybe Mary could
remember back then for you and post a link.

I don't think I could make that first stick (of course I could if I *HAD*
to, I love my cats enough to do *anything* for them), but still part of me
thinks I would chicken out and just schelpp them to the vet daily. I'm
*way* to empathic to be able to do what it takes to help anyone medically.
It's like I described in another thread - even after *38 YEARS* I can still
"feel" the physical bump that I experienced when driving with a friend who
accidently ran over a cat. I can "feel" what I imagine other helpless
animals feel when hurt or abused. It really does make me vomit when I think
about it too much.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 9th 05, 01:47 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

CatNipped wrote:
There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know
(or even wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the
experiences people here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some
data that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that
you'll have the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are
in brackets].
[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and
certainly *not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a
question is phrased in a provocative manner please feel free to
change it. I'm not asking for or giving opinions, only data.]

How many cats to you currently live with?

EIGHT!!!

What are their ages and sex?

13+/-, F (she was about a year old, give or take a couple months, when we
got her)
12, M
3.5, F
1.5, M
4 each at 1+/-, 2 are M, 2 are F

Are they purebred or moggies?

All moggies, except Ping is possibly a prebred Siamese, but we don't know
for sure, he appeared in out basement last fall, and we posted fliers &
notified local HS, and have had no calls)

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

All are S/N, 12 & 13 year old, we waited until they were 6 months, the 3.5
yo was 8-9 months old when we adopted her from HS, the 1 yo's were all done
when they reached the required weight, which happened to be when they were
about 4 months old, except for the Siamese, who was closer to 6 months

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm
interested in what health issue might or might not be associated with
this)?

the 13 & 3.5 year old, not 100% sure if they had a litter before we got them
or not (I think they didn't), but all the others were S/N while still
'virgins'

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Mostly dry, as some of them don't like moist (weird, I know), and the ones
that do get the (stinky) poopies when they do get moist, so it's a rare
treat around here. but we do have 3 (!!!) Drinkwell Fountains

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,
mostly outdoor, only outdoor?

All indoor, though with spring coming, a few are showing interest in the
outdoors. I'm not letting them out as we live on a *VERY* busy street,
speed limit is 35mph, but most people do more like 50 or so. I prefer my
kitties round & fluffy, not squished flat.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

I myself have had 10 cats in the past 12 years, one died of CRF in 2002, one
was adopted out last year. However, I cuddled & played with about 20-30
more at my uncle's farm (barn cats) over the years when I was a kid

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

Worked with? None. Played with or petted when waiting for an appt??? My
TED has about 6, maybe more, that live at the office. Some are shy and
don't come out front, some are not allowed out front as they are 'special
needs' kitties that they rescued and kept.

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

Again, I play with the kitties at the local adoption centers (would like to
bring them all home, but Lizzie, the 3.5 yo, says we have too many all
ready.... that and my house is not big enough). I do donate supplies &
money.

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or
cats in particular?

No. Really not interested in breeding - there are too many already (cats,
not husbands... however.... )

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

NON-fiction???? I don't think I've read any. Fiction, at leat 20-30.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

No

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were
they?

A couple - Smokey (13 yo) got sick & had to be hospitalized when we'd had
her about a year. Recently had a series of kitty-colds get passed around
the house. Ivy (RB 2002) had CRF

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to
a cat?

Yup. Ivy, our CRF kitty neede sub-Q fluids daily.
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old April 9th 05, 01:48 AM
CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Two

What are their ages and sex?

13 - female

Close to my Bandit's age (15) - we might be able to compare notes as

they
continue to age.

Right; except in cat terms 2 years can be a biggish gap .

True, and I was going to say maybe I can help you by telling what Bandit
goes through as she ages, but after reading the rest of your post, I see
that you're *WAY* more experienced in taking car of cats than I am.

5 (or maybe 6) - male

(actual birth dates not known for either one)

My current four were all adopted as kittens so it was easier to

guestimate
their ages although the actual birthdays I've assigned each are purely
arbitrary! ;

Are they purebred or moggies?

Moggies - a LH calico and a "tuxedo"

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Yes:

female - don't know age - was already spayed when adopted at approx. 1

yr.
old
male - neutered when several (guestimate 7 - 11) months old

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm

interested
in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

Not AFAIK (no history known before each adoption)

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Dry. They sometimes have canned, but prefer dry. Given smallish

amounts
in
the morning, late afternoon, & in evening

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,

mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor only, except they have access to a screened-in porch when I'm

at
home, as long as the weather's warm enough to keep the LR/porch door

open.
Access to porch once in a while in the winter - for short periods of

time.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

Four, since age 23.

First cat was a female - adopted as a kitten in '73; she died in '91,

at
age
17.

Second cat was adopted in very late '86, when she was slightly less

than
2
yr. old (AFAIK - actual birth date unknown) - she died in 2001, at age

16.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No; donate occasionally - cash &/or old towels, throw rugs, food

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or

cats
in
particular?

No

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

Don't know - never kept track; maybe 5?

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in

your
experience?

None are stuck in my memory...

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were

they?

Yes:

Idiopathic vestibular syndrome

Wow, I've never even heard of that - what is it was it bad?

It's a vestibular disturbance/illness of unknown origin. Spontaneously
arrives & spontaneously disappears.

Vestibular? Meriam-Websters gave me several definitions: ;

1 : any of various bodily cavities especially when serving as or resembling
an entrance to some other cavity or space: as a : the central cavity of the
bony labyrinth of the ear or the parts of the membranous labyrinth that it
contains b : the part of the left ventricle below the aortic orifice c : the
space between the labia minora containing the orifice of the urethra d : the
part of the mouth cavity outside the teeth and gums

My cat (Debbie) had episodes of it for 2- 3 years. Each episode had an
acute stage of a couple to several hours, & then gradually eased off each
time. A few to several episodes per year, with no discernable pattern.

Classic symptoms: cat is very off-balance/dizzy, may be nauseous as a
result, lethargic - since they feel so crummy, nystagmus - eyes dart from
side-to-side (although my cat didn't display this symptom), & a permanent
head tilt may be a leftover effect - which Debbie did display.

From that it sounds like either a or b in the definitions above, but with
the balance effect and nausea maybe the ear??

Debbie also had a mild seizure at the start of each episode.

The vet prescribed Meclizine to be given as soon as I noticed the subtle
symptoms of an approaching episode, to lessen her off-balance/dizziness -
which in turn, lessened her nausea, etc.

Hyperthyroidism
Liver disease (acute, then chronic)
CRF
kitty "colds"

Knew I forgot something:

UTI

Plus the common consitions/ailments of strays & shelter cats:
fleas, worms, ear mites, URI.

And a couple of stubborn hairballs, to the point where the cats were
starting to not feel well. Both eventually self-resolved. (IOW - *huge*
hairballs chucked up.) Both were long-haired cats.

Mine, even though long-haired, haven't even had that problem, just normal
sized, run-of-the-mill hairballs. After reading this group I'm beginning to
realize just how lucky I've been!!!

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to

cat?

Yes:

sub-Q fluids
Procrit

How long did it take you to learn to give fluids?

I had several (5 - 6) lessons at the vets' office first. So... about 2 -

3
weeks of practice there, before going solo. (My vets' office is only 4
minutes fr. my house, door-to-door.)

Did it make you queasy
the first few times you did (it would be, I don't know if I could do

that
first stick - hoping I never have to, but with a 15 year old I'm trying

educate myself in case I do just to be realistic)?.

No, it didn't make me queasy. I did have some trouble getting the angle

of
the stick right at first, though - getting through/under the skin. But
actually, the biggest problem I first had was handling everything at

once -
with only 2 hands: the cat, the tubing, the thingamajig valve that opens &
closes the fluid's flow, & the needle.

Otoh, my vet said *she* _did_ have a big problem in vet school when doing
her very first stick: took her 45 minutes to work up the courage to get

the
needle to make contact with the cat. ;-)

Yeah, I just described what it would probably be like for me in responding
to Cheryl. I really admire people who *can* do it. My daughter is going to
nursing school at present, but I always thought she should be a vet since
she not only loves all animals but has a definite talent in working with
them (she medicates and immunizes her pets herself). She would look at
"Emergency Vet" and be *fascinated* when I would be cringing and looking
away when it got to the gory parts.

What's Procrit?

It's for anemia, when the PCV (packed cell volume) dips below "x" (18,

20??)
level. I've seen ads on TV for it - human cancer patients who become
anemic. I gave the injections of Procrit to Debbie when she had CRF, of
which anemia can be a by-product. Those injections were a cinch: no

tubing,
just the needle attached to the syringe, & the needle is *tiny* - slipped
right in, no problem. And her PCV went back up to normal - 33-34, IIRC.

Ah, I do remember seeing that commercial now that you mention it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cathy

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 9th 05, 01:52 AM
W. Leong

"CatNipped" wrote in message
There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know (or
even wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the experiences
people here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some data
that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that you'll
have the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are in
brackets].

[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and certainly
*not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a question is phrased in
a provocative manner please feel free to change it. I'm not asking for or
giving opinions, only data.]

How many cats to you currently live with?

1

What are their ages and sex?

10 - male

Are they purebred or moggies?

moggie - MH orange tabby

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Yes at 1.

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

Not AFAIK (no history)

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

prescription canned 2-3 times a day

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

indoor only

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

2

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

no

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

no

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or cats
in particular?

no

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

2-3

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

Can't recall any.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

kitty 'cold'
eye problem
urinary blockages
diarrhea

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a
cat?

no

That's it - I'll probably think of more questions later, and I'd
appreciate it if you wuold add your questions to this.

Thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 9th 05, 01:54 AM
CatNipped

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
There is a lot of history going on here in rpch+b that I don't know
(or even wish to know). But I *would* like to know more about the
experiences people here have had with cats.

To that end, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see if I could get some
data that might help me formulate opinions or weigh advice. So that
you'll have the same from me, I'll answer this first [my answers are
in brackets].
[Please note, this is as unbiased as I can possibly make it and
certainly *not* meant to start controversy, but if you feel a
question is phrased in a provocative manner please feel free to
change it. I'm not asking for or giving opinions, only data.]

How many cats to you currently live with?

EIGHT!!!

Wow, heaven!!! ;

[...]

Yeah, Sammy was so huge at 5 months that I didn't think I needed to wait
until she hit 6 months before having it done.

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm
interested in what health issue might or might not be associated with
this)?

the 13 & 3.5 year old, not 100% sure if they had a litter before we got

them
or not (I think they didn't), but all the others were S/N while still
'virgins'

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Mostly dry, as some of them don't like moist (weird, I know), and the ones
that do get the (stinky) poopies when they do get moist, so it's a rare
treat around here. but we do have 3 (!!!) Drinkwell Fountains

Oh what a pain to have to take apart and clean all the little doohickies in
*THREE* of them - I dread having to do the one once a week!

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,
mostly outdoor, only outdoor?

All indoor, though with spring coming, a few are showing interest in the
outdoors. I'm not letting them out as we live on a *VERY* busy street,
speed limit is 35mph, but most people do more like 50 or so. I prefer my
kitties round & fluffy, not squished flat.

Yeah, I live in the very back of a quiet subdivision, but there are still
teenagers who treat this street like the Autobon!

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

I myself have had 10 cats in the past 12 years, one died of CRF in 2002,

one
was adopted out last year. However, I cuddled & played with about 20-30
more at my uncle's farm (barn cats) over the years when I was a kid

My dream as a kid was to live on a farm so I could have dozens and dozens of
cats.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

Worked with? None. Played with or petted when waiting for an appt??? My
TED has about 6, maybe more, that live at the office. Some are shy and
don't come out front, some are not allowed out front as they are 'special
needs' kitties that they rescued and kept.

My last vet had the biggest cat I'd ever seen in person - bigger than Sammy
is now!

[...]

Wow, so *many* people here have had to do that. I think I'd have trouble,
but I'd sure as heck *try* if that's what it took to keep one of mine
healthy and feeling good.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
The ONE and ONLY

former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old April 9th 05, 01:56 AM
CatNipped

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
news:1113001544.5fd383d75345541975eeab675feefacc@t eranews...
CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

How many cats to you currently live with?

One

What are their ages and sex?

Female, turned 17 last Sunday

Are they purebred or moggies?

She's half siamese and half... Moggie

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

Spayed right after the first heat. I was *not* going to listen to a
SIAMESE in heat again.

LOL - now *that* I can only imagine! Were you getting angry calls from
neighbors 5 miles down the road?? ;

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm
interested in what health issue might or might not be associated
with this)?

No

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

I tried premium dry food in the beginning, but she wanted the cheap
stuff. As time passed she got wet food on Sundays, and she'd starve
herself all week long wanting it. Then I gave her wet twice a week.
Then the brat was diagnosed CRF and that's what she's supposed to
get. She nibbles at some dry on occasion.

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor,
mostly outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoors.

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

Let's see... Cruella [tortie], Duchess [manx], Midnight [tux] (he had
a friend Goblin [siamese], a stray that disappeared after he died),
Kimba [white siamese], Tabby [umm, tabby], Charcoal [Tabby's son],
and Kami.

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry
or cats in particular?

No, but my father has a masters in animal husbandry and specializes
in care and breeding of domestic livestock.

Cattle or horses or both or other?

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

More than 5, I'd guess.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in
your experience?

Can't remember them.

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were
they?

Charcoal had distemper as a child and almost didn't make it, but
pulled through. Kami has had CRF for almost 5 years.

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines
to a cat?

Just started. Managed to give her about 50cc last night before she
wouldn't hold still anymore. Never thought I could do it.

Amazing how many people have to do that!!! I still like the idea of
marketing tuna-flavored water for CRF kitties! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

Old April 9th 05, 01:58 AM
CatNipped

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
"CatNipped" wrote:

How many cats to you currently live with?

Four

What are their ages and sex?

F 6.5 years
M 6.5 years
M 4.25 years
M 8 months

Are they purebred or moggies?

Moggies

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

F - spayed at 12 weeks
M - neutered at 12 weeks
Mx2 - neutered at 6 months

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested

in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

No

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

Canned with 1 or 2 meals per month of home cooked (liver, fish, chicken
etc.)

Do you use a special kitty recipe, or just make it like you would a human
dinner?

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

Indoor only

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

1 as a child
6 in adulthood (1, then 1, then built from 2 up to 4)

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

No

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

No. Donate monthly.

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or

cats in
particular?

No.

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

I've probably referred to 6 or 8.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

I found _Twisted Whiskers_ by (author cannot be brought to mind at the
moment) a lot. It's about behavioral health.

As in how to prevent bad behavior, or correct bad behavior, or how health
can affect behavior?

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

Urinary blockage in males, hyperthyroid, liver cancer, heart murmur,
diarrhea of unknown origin, minor bugs.

Wow, dealing with cancer in a pet must have been rough!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?

No.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Old April 9th 05, 02:00 AM
CatNipped

"jmc" wrote in message

How many cats to you currently live with?

one

What are their ages and sex?

8, female

Are they purebred or moggies?

moggie

Are they neutered or spayed, if so at what age?

spayed as soon as she was old enough

Have they been bred or had a litter before you got them (I'm interested

in
what health issue might or might not be associated with this)?

no

What type of food do you offer you cats, canned, moist, or dry?

dry, canned in the evening

Are they indoor only, mostly indoor, equally indoor and outdoor, mostly
outdoor, only outdoor?

indoor, outdoor only under supervision, in our fenced garden

How many cats have you lived with over the years of your life?

only two

Have you ever worked with cats in a veterinarian's office?

no

Have you ever worked with cats in a rescue organization?

no, only dogs when I was a teen

Have you ever had any formal schooling regarding animal husbandry or

cats in
particular?

yes, horses.

I imagine horses would be hard to work with!

How many non-fiction books have you read about cats?

no idea. a few.

Can you recommend any of those books as being helpful or valid in your
experience?

not offhand

Have you had many experience with cats' illnesses, if so what were they?

luxating patella, cystitis, and some sort of infection, almost a
hotspot, cause unknown but I'd guess a spider bite. She was in a collar
for 3 weeks, poor thing

Bandit *hated* that d*mned collar - but at least hers was the "soft" kind
(more like a cape than a cone).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Have you ever had to administer subQ fluids or injected medicines to a

cat?

not to a cat, but I've often given shots to horses.

jmc