Cat "missing" the litter box

Old May 25th 05, 04:05 AM
Amy

Default Cat "missing" the litter box

For the past few months, it seems that periodically, one of my cats would
urinate right outside of the litter box. I managed to catch this happening
once - she would go inside the litter box, and stand right by the edge and
urinate, resulting in puddles right outside of the box.

Any idea why?

Thanks.
Amy
Old May 25th 05, 04:19 AM
bigbadbarry

"Amy" wrote in message
news
For the past few months, it seems that periodically, one of my cats would
urinate right outside of the litter box. I managed to catch this happening
once - she would go inside the litter box, and stand right by the edge and
urinate, resulting in puddles right outside of the box.

Any idea why?

Thanks.
Amy

Call me crazy, but your cat is sending you a message

Where is box in proximaty to something she does not like (periodically)

or think about things you do periodically...near the box.

I'm going to give you full credit that the box is not lewd and running over
with crap and satiated wee wee....haha

Old May 25th 05, 04:35 AM

Amy wrote:
For the past few months, it seems that periodically, one of my cats would
urinate right outside of the litter box. I managed to catch this happening
once - she would go inside the litter box, and stand right by the edge and
urinate, resulting in puddles right outside of the box.

Any idea why?

Thanks.
Amy

She's inside the litterbox to do her business, and ends up peeing
outside of it? Do you have a covered box? Maybe she doesn't like that.
Is the box too small?

Old May 25th 05, 05:08 AM
Amy

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:35:16 -0700, sriddles wrote:

Amy wrote:
[quoted text muted]

She's inside the litterbox to do her business, and ends up peeing
outside of it? Do you have a covered box? Maybe she doesn't like that.
Is the box too small?

It started happening when I switched from a covered to a uncovered box.
I then switched back after discovering her activity.

As for the size of the box, it's the largest size in the pet store.

Amy

Old May 25th 05, 05:12 AM
Amy

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:19:52 -0400, bigbadbarry wrote:

"Amy" wrote in message
news
[quoted text muted]

Call me crazy, but your cat is sending you a message

That much I've figured out, but I really have no idea what she's trying to
tell me.

I'm pretty sure that it's not a medical problem but I'm taking her to the
vet just in case.

Where is box in proximaty to something she does not like (periodically)

Right near the opening of the covered litter box.

or think about things you do periodically...near the box.

Hrmmm... no clue. They have their own dedicated bathroom so there's hardly
any human activity. I'd say that it's been happening 1-2 times a month.

I'm going to give you full credit that the box is not lewd and running over
with crap and satiated wee wee....haha

Ew. %-)

Amy
Old May 25th 05, 05:13 AM
animzmirot

"Amy" wrote in message
news
For the past few months, it seems that periodically, one of my cats would
urinate right outside of the litter box. I managed to catch this happening
once - she would go inside the litter box, and stand right by the edge and
urinate, resulting in puddles right outside of the box.

My cat does the same thing. It drives me absolutely nuts. This is a litany
of some of the solutions I've tried, but none work for long. We tried
uncovering his covered box. Nope. We tried putting a second open litter box
right in front of his regular covered box. Works sometimes, but he pees in
one and poops in the covered box, and still pees outside the box fairly
regularly.Change the boxes every single time he uses them, sometimes 4 or 5
times a day. Still doesn't care...he pees out of the box. Tried Simple
Solution, Feliway, and Natures Miracle. All sort of work, but not really.
The only thing that has reliably worked is to put tin foil down in front of
the litter boxes where he pees. He will not walk on tin foil, so he HAS to
get his butt into the litter box. Looks horrible, but with Feliway and 2
litter boxes in a row, and a mixture of S'WheatScoop and TidyCat (he likes
the mixture but doesn't like either alone and won't use the box at all) he
is pretty reliable and will only have an 'accident' if he's feeling
particularly miffed at us.

I have NO clue as to why my cat does this, and I've tried literally
everything anyone has ever suggested (obviously) and he still does it. I
don't get why he doesn't understand that if he puts his tushy outside the
box, he's not peeing in it, but he doesn't. And he digs and digs and digs
trying to bury it in the tile floor. He's not that bright, poor thing.

Marjorie

Old May 25th 05, 06:02 AM
John Doe

Amy wrote:

For the past few months, it seems that periodically, one of my
cats would urinate right outside of the litter box. I managed to
catch this happening once - she would go inside the litter box,
and stand right by the edge and urinate, resulting in puddles
right outside of the box.

Currently I have two cats. Underneath and in the surrounding area
is a vinyl carpet protector. When I remove stuff from the box
during the day, the tracking on the vinyl carpet protector is
emptied into the box. Occasionally the carpet protector is
saturated with a cleaner and then dried with recycled paper towels
(usually just used for soaking up water around the sink). At the
same time, the litter is allowed to diminish in the box, then the
same cleaner is applied to the sides and bottom edges, again dried
with paper towels. That done to all four sides. Litter dust tends
to run up the sides and over the edges. That may or may not be
your problem, but the idea that a dirty area makes for less
accurate urination/defecation makes sense to me.

Good luck.

Old May 25th 05, 06:25 AM
bigbadbarry

"Amy"
-------

Well...interesting enough.

Maybe the other cat is sneaking into her box and she is telling it.

--
Barry

.... Women and cats are both black at night. - Bosnia ...

Old May 25th 05, 10:57 PM

One of my cats does that too. Sometimes when he is in the litter box,
he's too close to the edge so when he pees it goes over the edge of
the box rather than in it. In my kitty's case, it has been happening
more frequently as he is getting older, so perhaps he is just not able
to be as precise as he once was.

Lorraine