What Price For Kitty?

Old February 14th 05, 07:44 PM
Glarb

"Mary" wrote in message
If you limited pet ownership to people who can afford catastrophic health
care for their pet, then you'd have an awful lot of homeless dogs and

cats,
don't you think?

So what is the answer? That it is okay to deny your animal that you
allegedly love the care they need just because you need the money
for something else? Isn't that what you are after here? Some
rationalization that will allow you to neglect the animal?

No, just an answer to the question.

Old February 14th 05, 07:45 PM
Ashley

"Jim Lawton" wrote in message

In the UK we have this organisation - do you not in the states?

http://www.pdsa.org.uk

maybe it's time for someone to set it up, if not ...

I was really impressed when I saw that when I lived there. We don't have
anything like it in New Zealand either.

Old February 14th 05, 07:51 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-14, Glarb penned:

For a family member I would sacrifice everything, including my own life.
There is a strict limit on the cat, however. Come on people, get real.

Well, in my "real" world, I would put more money into keeping Oscar healthy
than I would into some of my relatives. The reality is, I'm closer to my cat
than I am to many of my relatives. The other reality is, Oscar can't get a
job and make money, and if she shows up at the vet's with a life-threatening
illness, the vet doesn't have to treat her. I am the only means by which
Oscar can stay healthy.

Maybe it sounds cold, but everyone has to make judgements as to where they
spend their money.

That being said, I would do a lot to help out my friends and close
relatives. I don't know about my own life, though. I'm pretty addicted
to living. Maybe if I had children, I'd feel that way.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old February 14th 05, 07:54 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-14, Mary penned:

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

It's sad that most ngs can't discuss ethics and things like that without it
resorting to a flame-fest, and immaturity. I love these types of
discussions. I think there is a lot of potential for learning.

What is sad is that you seem to think you need to control the way things are
discussed AND what is discussed, Lynnie. Grow a backbone and just discuss
what you want to the way you want to, and stop whining about those who are
already doing it.

I agree with L. here. While flaming is a nice temporary release, actual
discussion is much better for sharing information and possibly changing
someone's mind. You really do catch more flies with honey. The problem is,
when people are flaming, there are people with interesting and valuable
viewpoints who don't feel like subjecting themselves to that sort of crap, and
so we never hear from them.

And then there's me; the "flamewars" on this NG ain't nuthin compared to some
of the flamewars I've seen and perpetrated in my self-centered youth. And
I've yet to find any scars, although I do wish I could take back the time I
wasted composing the posts =P

Old February 14th 05, 08:18 PM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote in message
.com...

This is not what Lyn means, KellyH. She is a control freak,
and wants only a certain style of discussion. You are much more
of a free speech person--with a lot more backbone than Lyn.
You can actually admit it when you're wrong, and you can see
others' sides.

I'm not going to get in between this whatever it is between you and Lyn. I
like Lyn and I consider her a friend. Mary, even though you and I had
disagreements in the past, I like you too. Lyn has been there for me when I
was going through some very rough times in other aspects of my life. I must
have missed whatever made you think she is a control freak, because I
haven't seen it. No, I'm not going to Google it, I couldn't care less at
this point. Let's move on.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 14th 05, 08:43 PM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
"Mary" wrote in message
.com...

"Glarb" wrote:

I know this makes me a bad person, but
come on y'all, what is your true limit on such matters?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Nothing! That's perfectly normal behavior for an asshole.

So are you saying you have no limit, Phil?

Of course I have a limit! I just don't know what it is because I've never
reached it and I seriously doubt I ever will. Although I can say with
absolute certainty that as long as the cat keeps fighting, I'll keep
writing. .

Would you go without
medication?

Don't need any... Although I could use a couple of aspirins sometimes after
reading some of the posts is this group...

Food?

No thanks. I just had lunch..

Lose your house?

No. Its right where I left it.

I'm not being snarky - just curious.

I honestly can't say how much I'd spend to save my cats' lives or give them
a good quality of life if any of them had a terminal disease. I've never
really thought about it because I couldn't ever think about it.

I don't consider my cats equal with my child.

I hope your kid doesn't resent your cats because of that.

They are a family member
- a beloved companion - but NOT equal to my child.

Don't ever tell your kid that! It would really bum him out.

Practicality and
cost-to-benefit ratio comes into play. It is situation-dependant. I
have seen far too many people throw far too much money at a hopeless
situation, and vets, by and large, will allow them to do so. In the
end, the animal suffers far longer than it should have. And there is
absolutely *no* compassion in that.

I would not put a cat through a battery of invasive tests or treatments if
the results wouldn't have a positive impact on the outcome or her quality of
life. Many people anthropomorphize and don't understand the relentless
spirit and resiliency of the cat. I'm not so quick to let a cat go as some
people may be because I've seen what cats will endure to survive in the
wild. Cats aren't quitters - and I'll be damned if I'll ever quit on a cat
who has even just a remote chance of surviving - regardless of what it takes
or costs.

I also recognize that many people with cats truly cannot afford
adequate vet care. Yes, they shouldn't have cats if they cannot afford
them, but many people do. They do the best with what they have.

Most of the time the people *can* afford vet care - its just a matter of
priorities and the willingness to make sacrifices for an indivudual who has
entrusted you with her life. That's a responsibility and obligation I
don't take lightly.

Phil.

Old February 14th 05, 10:53 PM
Mary

On 2005-02-14, Mary penned:

"-L." wrote in message
[...]

The trouble may lie in one's definition of "flaming." In any case, I don't
pull any punches in real life and I sure as hell will not do it here. I'm
not
out to persuade. I am merely having my say.

Old February 14th 05, 10:56 PM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message
.com...

This is not what Lyn means, KellyH. She is a control freak,
and wants only a certain style of discussion. You are much more
of a free speech person--with a lot more backbone than Lyn.
You can actually admit it when you're wrong, and you can see
others' sides.

I'm not going to get in between this whatever it is between you and Lyn.

like Lyn and I consider her a friend. Mary, even though you and I had
disagreements in the past, I like you too. Lyn has been there for me when

was going through some very rough times in other aspects of my life. I

must
have missed whatever made you think she is a control freak, because I
haven't seen it. No, I'm not going to Google it, I couldn't care less at
this point. Let's move on.

--

What, me Google? I don't recall why or when
Lynnie decided to get on my case, and I don't care. She's

Old February 14th 05, 10:57 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message
k.net...

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
"Mary" wrote in message
.com...

"Glarb" wrote:

[...]

This, Phil, is the only answer that I can identify with.